The Student Room Group

Extenuating Circumstances

I'm needing some help regarding Postgraduate funding, please. I applied for a Postgraduate Loan in 2020 and began a course in Paramedic Science. I had to suspend the course for a year due to the pandemic, and my loan was suspended until 2021. I then studied in 2021 until May, when I was forced to drop out due to my mental health.

I now want to go back to university to study an MA in English Literature. My question is, would extenuating circumstances still apply to me due to my having suspended my loan once? My occupational therapist with the Community Mental Health team are happy to write me a letter explaining why I dropped out and the affect my mental health has on me, and I am currently receiving Personal Independence Payment for it as well. Does this sound like reasonable grounds for extenuating circumstances? Is it possible I would be able to receive the full Master's loan again so that I can study the English Literature course?
Original post by e.m1002
I'm needing some help regarding Postgraduate funding, please. I applied for a Postgraduate Loan in 2020 and began a course in Paramedic Science. I had to suspend the course for a year due to the pandemic, and my loan was suspended until 2021. I then studied in 2021 until May, when I was forced to drop out due to my mental health.

I now want to go back to university to study an MA in English Literature. My question is, would extenuating circumstances still apply to me due to my having suspended my loan once? My occupational therapist with the Community Mental Health team are happy to write me a letter explaining why I dropped out and the affect my mental health has on me, and I am currently receiving Personal Independence Payment for it as well. Does this sound like reasonable grounds for extenuating circumstances? Is it possible I would be able to receive the full Master's loan again so that I can study the English Literature course?

Hi, you mentioned you dropped out - did you withdraw from the course?

Thanks, Isaac
Reply 2
Original post by SFE Isaac
Hi, you mentioned you dropped out - did you withdraw from the course?

Thanks, Isaac

Hi Isaac,

I did, yes. I'm in the process of getting a letter from them confirming this.

Many thanks,
Emily
Original post by e.m1002
Hi Isaac,

I did, yes. I'm in the process of getting a letter from them confirming this.

Many thanks,
Emily

You won't be eligible for further postgraduate funding unless you can provide evidence of Compelling Personal Reasons. You mentioned Mental Health which is a valid reason if evidence can be provided and deemed valid by our assessors.

You can find out more about the evidence requirement here http://ow.ly/MsMM30pjjOm

Thanks, Isaac

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending