The Student Room Group

Do universities use error carried forward when marking?

do they?
Reply 1
Could you expand please?

Is this spelling / grammatical errors?

they can take marks down. Check them back to front before submission.
Reply 2
Original post by JVM2020
Could you expand please?

Is this spelling / grammatical errors?

they can take marks down. Check them back to front before submission.

For calculation based questions. If I make a mistake in the first question and use that result for the following questions will they use the "error carried forward" method of marking?
Original post by Anonymous
For calculation based questions. If I make a mistake in the first question and use that result for the following questions will they use the "error carried forward" method of marking?

If you use the correct method you'll get marks for the method but you will miss out on marks due to the incorrect result. Likewise if you make a sign error you won't get zero automatically but you won't get full marks because you'll get the wrong answer (unless somehow you make two sign errors that cancel out AND the marker doesn't notice either...which seems unlikely).
It’s up to the examiner to mark exams how they feel is appropriate (and internal & external moderators will ensure its fair).

Generally in my experience from engineering, they would not over penalise one mistake, they would most likely take a mark off for the mistake & probably a mark for the wrong answer in the initial question but if their are lots of parts to the question that build off what you’ve done they wouldn’t ping you every time, and would carry forward the error.

Although in some types of questions it’s possible to make a mistake that leads you to make further ‘working’ mistakes which of course they cannot reward.

Generally examiners will try and give every mark possible, it generally reflects better on them when their students do well.

Quick Reply

Latest