The Student Room Group

PGCE Experience - Bad Mentor

Hi,

Just for context, I am a 22 year old training to be a primary teacher through a PGCE. I need some advice on my experience of the PGCE and how I haven't received the correct support, advice or opportunities from my mentor.

I've been with my mentor since September and have made lots of progress with my teaching. However, I've noticed since the start that they do not check up on me or give me any advice on my teaching. I feel like a spare part and have been told to plan some lessons for my class and put my own stamp on some lessons. I have done this and was praised for it. However, today I found an email addressed to AT that said my lessons had "no relevance" and I don't "follow the plan set". There was also reference to my clarity when teaching (I've been trying to address how I talk since the start and have improved substantially). I know I shouldn't have looked at it but I am baffled and upset because I haven't been told or given advice on anything. If my delivery needs work why didn't they tell me?

I haven't had a 1 to 1 meeting with them since November and when I bought this up I was told "it has been really busy". I feel like I'm not being given the opportunity to do anything and when I am it's not stated if I've done good or bad. I'm thinking why hasn't the contents of the email been mentioned to me since it is about my practice? I haven't been told anything or been given advice. Have I just got a poor mentor or am I overreacting? My TM has not been qualified for the required 3 years either.

I have a visit from my AT next week. What should I do?

Thanks
Original post by Crow230999
Hi,

Just for context, I am a 22 year old training to be a primary teacher through a PGCE. I need some advice on my experience of the PGCE and how I haven't received the correct support, advice or opportunities from my mentor.

I've been with my mentor since September and have made lots of progress with my teaching. However, I've noticed since the start that they do not check up on me or give me any advice on my teaching. I feel like a spare part and have been told to plan some lessons for my class and put my own stamp on some lessons. I have done this and was praised for it. However, today I found an email addressed to AT that said my lessons had "no relevance" and I don't "follow the plan set". There was also reference to my clarity when teaching (I've been trying to address how I talk since the start and have improved substantially). I know I shouldn't have looked at it but I am baffled and upset because I haven't been told or given advice on anything. If my delivery needs work why didn't they tell me?

I haven't had a 1 to 1 meeting with them since November and when I bought this up I was told "it has been really busy". I feel like I'm not being given the opportunity to do anything and when I am it's not stated if I've done good or bad. I'm thinking why hasn't the contents of the email been mentioned to me since it is about my practice? I haven't been told anything or been given advice. Have I just got a poor mentor or am I overreacting? My TM has not been qualified for the required 3 years either.

I have a visit from my AT next week. What should I do?

Thanks

What type of PGCE is this? A SCITT or ...?
Reply 2
Original post by Muttley79
What type of PGCE is this? A SCITT or ...?

It is a primary PGCE - 5-11 route

I've read the handbook and by the standards in it I should be receiving more help and more 1 to 1 meetings
Original post by Crow230999
It is a primary PGCE - 5-11 route

I've read the handbook and by the standards in it I should be receiving more help and more 1 to 1 meetings

Yes but it's not uni based if you have been in school since September. I'm shocked tbh, have you raised this with the external body already? Are you in a union?
Reply 4
It is uni based as I am attending university lectures and seminars when timetabled. Before attending this school I spent 3 weeks at university (I have been here since late September). I have spoken to a few friends on the same course and they don't understand why this is being bought up now and was not discussed sooner. I have emailed my academic tutor for some advice. I am in the student union at my university but because I am postgrad im not sure if it will be of any use. Is this the case?
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending