Aqa a level chem

Best way of revising for an A*?
Notes?
From someone who got their grades up from D/E and sometimes even U to A/A*
- Don't waste time rewriting notes
- Make flashcards for all the mechanisms and practice them RELIGIOUSLY
- Use pre-made flashcards from quizlet on specific chapters to test your recall
- Make sure you know all the specific equations such as the contact process
- Do as many past paper questions as you can. this is seriously the best way to get your grades up
- I found the CGP revision guides really useful, aswell as Eliot Rintoul on youtube.
- do loads and loads and loads of practice question i know i already said it but it is so important
I found that my life got easier by actually understanding topics (I used chemguide) and not objectively trying to cram.
Reply 3
Original post by choopydooduts
From someone who got their grades up from D/E and sometimes even U to A/A*
- Don't waste time rewriting notes
- Make flashcards for all the mechanisms and practice them RELIGIOUSLY
- Use pre-made flashcards from quizlet on specific chapters to test your recall
- Make sure you know all the specific equations such as the contact process
- Do as many past paper questions as you can. this is seriously the best way to get your grades up
- I found the CGP revision guides really useful, aswell as Eliot Rintoul on youtube.
- do loads and loads and loads of practice question i know i already said it but it is so important

why should you not rewrite your notes, i find that often we miss out things in class and by rewriting notes it helps the information stay in my brainas well as ensuring everything i need to know, i know
Original post by Lulo34
Best way of revising for an A*?
Notes?

Hi there.

I personally made clear, concise and easy to understand notes and then did as many past papers as possible. I added to my notes via post it notes for Qs I dropped lots of marks on/ for content I didn't include.

Best wishes.
Reply 5
Original post by TriplexA
Hi there.

I personally made clear, concise and easy to understand notes and then did as many past papers as possible. I added to my notes via post it notes for Qs I dropped lots of marks on/ for content I didn't include.

Best wishes.

ah okay, smart. im assuming you got your past papers from pmt? or is there anywhere else you can suggest? :smile:
Original post by aesha_p
ah okay, smart. im assuming you got your past papers from pmt? or is there anywhere else you can suggest? :smile:

MME has some old version past papers which you could just use for practice.

Also Chemrevise notes provide a great overall summary of the whole specification and practicals if you decide not to do notes.
Reply 7
Original post by TriplexA
Hi there.

Best wishes.

Are you able to share these notes if u still have them? Thank you
Original post by Lulo34
Are you able to share these notes if u still have them? Thank you

I'm not sure where they are exactly - in all honesty. I think it'd be better to make your own notes anyways as you can understand it all yourself, even though it will be hard work, and note making is a form of revision although the info only stays in your short term memory (hence the past papers).

I can always try and find them if you still want them - I just need some time to do so.
Original post by aesha_p
why should you not rewrite your notes, i find that often we miss out things in class and by rewriting notes it helps the information stay in my brainas well as ensuring everything i need to know, i know

it's honestly a waste of time in my opinion. if it works for you that's great, but i really don't think it is that effective for most people
Original post by choopydooduts
it's honestly a waste of time in my opinion. if it works for you that's great, but i really don't think it is that effective for most people

That's true - everyone learns in their own time and has different methods of revising which are more suitable to them. I do feel that past papers are a great resource to support revision regardless of the individuals learning style though.
completely agree. especially with science a levels, after a while you just learn the format of every question and its mark scheme. you're pretty much guaranteed to do well if you do that

Quick Reply

Latest