The Student Room Group

Missed citations help!!

So I recently submitted an essay and I wrote the wrong date of the book I used and missed out a citation in the bibliography but did cite it in the essay. Would I lose a few marks or much more?
Reply 1
i don't think markers look that closely tbh. it would take them 6 times longer to get through marking if they double checked every reference and that everything you mentioned was included in the bibliography. they will check tho if something is obviously wrong or looks dodgy. pretty sure i've made the odd mistake before and it wasn't pointed out to me.
Original post by Joleee
i don't think markers look that closely tbh. it would take them 6 times longer to get through marking if they double checked every reference and that everything you mentioned was included in the bibliography. they will check tho if something is obviously wrong or looks dodgy. pretty sure i've made the odd mistake before and it wasn't pointed out to me.

That's true, I never considered that. It turns out I missed two references in the bibliography now looking back on it and I left one in that I didnt even up using :frown: really worried they might pull me up on it
They're not likely to check every detail of every reference - conversely, if it's a book they are personally very familiar with, they will notice immediately if you've referenced it wrong. That's not something you are likely to know.

It won't be the only mistake in your essay and it doesn't sound as if it would look like you were trying to claim someone else's work as your own. It'll be okay. Just try not to get it wrong again.
Original post by skylark2
They're not likely to check every detail of every reference - conversely, if it's a book they are personally very familiar with, they will notice immediately if you've referenced it wrong. That's not something you are likely to know.

It won't be the only mistake in your essay and it doesn't sound as if it would look like you were trying to claim someone else's work as your own. It'll be okay. Just try not to get it wrong again.

One of the books I cited in text was their book 🥲but I forgot to reference in the bibliography. Will it just an error and lose marks situation? I'm so scared as I'm a final year. Would it be worth emailing them?
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by beesbebuzzing
That's true, I never considered that. It turns out I missed two references in the bibliography now looking back on it and I left one in that I didnt even up using :frown: really worried they might pull me up on it

omg you're being paranoid :laugh:

some of the stuff you include in your bibliography will not be a footnote in your essay cuz you have just used it for learning or inspiration but it's relevant so you must still include it. how is a marker going to know that source isn't relevant to what you said. did you reference something about the biology of catapillars when your essay is about baking a lasagna? guessing not
Original post by Joleee
omg you're being paranoid :laugh:

some of the stuff you include in your bibliography will not be a footnote in your essay cuz you have just used it for learning or inspiration but it's relevant so you must still include it. how is a marker going to know that source isn't relevant to what you said. did you reference something about the biology of catapillars when your essay is about baking a lasagna? guessing not

I just get worried because I'm a third-year 😭you a uni student too?
Reply 7
One of the books I cited in text was their book 🥲but I forgot to reference in the bibliography. Will it just an error and lose marks situation? I'm so scared as I'm a final year. Would it be worth emailing them?

if it's the marker's book and they read your essay what they care about is if you quoted them correctly and used it well. they ain't scrutinising over spelling mistakes
@gjd800 could you help with this thread as the student room's in house academic
So I recently submitted an essay and I wrote the wrong date of the book I used and missed out a citation in the bibliography but did cite it in the essay. Would I lose a few marks or much more?

I doubt it. If you stated something that was written as a reference as your own work then it would be plagiarism and you would probably fail the essay. However, if you defences once source incorrectly then it probably isn’t a big deal.
Original post by Thisismyunitsr
I doubt it. If you stated something that was written as a reference as your own work then it would be plagiarism and you would probably fail the essay. However, if you defences once source incorrectly then it probably isn’t a big deal.

Ah okay, everything was cited in the essay but I just missed out two in the bibilography and acc left one in I didn't end up using, just lowkey worried.
Ah okay, everything was cited in the essay but I just missed out two in the bibilography and acc left one in I didn't end up using, just lowkey worried.

That’s fine. Shouldn’t cause any issues, they might say in your feedback not to do it next time but there (should!) be no major repercussions.
Original post by Thisismyunitsr
That’s fine. Shouldn’t cause any issues, they might say in your feedback not to do it next time but there (should!) be no major repercussions.

Fingers crossed! cheers :smile:
referencing is such a pain, sometimes even academics get it wrong - i have spotted referencing errors in peer reviewed publications and manuscripts, so don't be too hard on yourself. that being said, it is one of the core marking criteria, so if they spot all the mistakes you have been able to spot (highly unlikely), they might take a tiny little mark out, or if they are understanding, which they should be, they might just mention in the feedback.

finally - stop reading stuff after you have submitted it, you will always find an error or two!! gd luck.
Original post by Anonymous
referencing is such a pain, sometimes even academics get it wrong - i have spotted referencing errors in peer reviewed publications and manuscripts, so don't be too hard on yourself. that being said, it is one of the core marking criteria, so if they spot all the mistakes you have been able to spot (highly unlikely), they might take a tiny little mark out, or if they are understanding, which they should be, they might just mention in the feedback.

finally - stop reading stuff after you have submitted it, you will always find an error or two!! gd luck.

love this, thank you
Reply 15
I'd almost certainly notice it, but one mistake would simply warrant a flagging of the error and no more than that.

Depending on your marking rubric, it might prevent the highest level being awarded for referencing/presentation section of the scheme (which usually states that referencing must be 'perfect'), but that would not usually amount to a huge loss of marks if indeed any loss at all.

Original post by Anonymous
@gjd800 could you help with this thread as the student room's in house academic

Thank you for the tag.
Original post by gjd800
I'd almost certainly notice it, but one mistake would simply warrant a flagging of the error and no more than that.

Depending on your marking rubric, it might prevent the highest level being awarded for referencing/presentation section of the scheme (which usually states that referencing must be 'perfect'), but that would not usually amount to a huge loss of marks if indeed any loss at all.

Thank you for the tag.

brill, thank you. it was more than one mistake but our rubric has a referencing and presentation section, so fingers crossed it's just a deduction of marks. it defo not a case for plagiarism tho? like everything was attributed, just silly mistakes.
Reply 17
brill, thank you. it was more than one mistake but our rubric has a referencing and presentation section, so fingers crossed it's just a deduction of marks. it defo not a case for plagiarism tho? like everything was attributed, just silly mistakes.

You are very likely safe on the plagiarism side of things. A few daft errors won't bomb your mark :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending