The Student Room Group

Student Loans Eligibility

Hi there, I'm in a bit of a strange situation and I was wondering if I would be eligible for student loans under these circumstances.

There is a university course that I'm interested in which starts on 17 January 2023 and by 22 October 2022, I will have been in the UK for 3 years so far. I'm also ordinarily residing in the UK as my parents have purchased a house here (if that information helps).

However, I'm not a UK national or have settled status yet since I haven't been here for 5 years. My step-father (who hasn't officially adopted me) is a UK national, I have been living with him and my biological mother for over 10 years. (He cannot adopt me now as I'm already 19.)

I'm here on a "D - Child Visa" which allowed me to enter the UK (in 2019) with my mother as she is married to my step-father.

Would my circumstances hinder my student loans application and/or what sort of evidence would I need to prepare for my application?

Hypothetically, if things went well, would I even be able to receive my loans on time for mid-January if I could apply in late October?
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by capricious_cat
Hi there, I'm in a bit of a strange situation and I was wondering if I would be eligible for student loans under these circumstances.

There is a university course that I'm interested in which starts on 17 January 2023 and by 22 October 2022, I will have been in the UK for 3 years so far. I'm also ordinarily residing in the UK as my parents have purchased a house here (if that information helps).

However, I'm not a UK national or have settled status yet since I haven't been here for 5 years. My step-father (who hasn't officially adopted me) is a UK national, I have been living with him and my biological mother for over 10 years. (He cannot adopt me now as I'm already 19.)

I'm here on a "D - Child Visa" which allowed me to enter the UK (in 2019) with my mother as she is married to my step-father.

Would my circumstances hinder my student loans application and/or what sort of evidence would I need to prepare for my application?

Hypothetically, if things went well, would I even be able to receive my loans on time for mid-January if I could apply in late October?

Hi there,

In order to determine your eligibility, please confirm:

1. Which university and course you are looking to start your studies with?
2. How old you are.
3. Your nationality, current status and time spent within the UK.
4. Any previous study and qualifications you may hold.

Thanks, Isaac
1. For the moment, my top choice would be Games Art and Design at Norwich University of the Arts (Starting September 2023)
2. I turned 20 on 13th January 2022
3. Nationality: Thai, Current Status: Leave to Enter (I'm here on a Dependant Visa because of my British Step-father), Time spent within the UK: Over 2 years (Entered the UK on 22 October 2019)
4. Completed 7 IGCSEs in Hong Kong
Original post by capricious_cat
1. For the moment, my top choice would be Games Art and Design at Norwich University of the Arts (Starting September 2023)
2. I turned 20 on 13th January 2022
3. Nationality: Thai, Current Status: Leave to Enter (I'm here on a Dependant Visa because of my British Step-father), Time spent within the UK: Over 2 years (Entered the UK on 22 October 2019)
4. Completed 7 IGCSEs in Hong Kong

Based on this information, you should be entitled to the EU Tuition Fee Loan only funding.

https://www.gov.uk/student-finance/eu-students

Thanks, Isaac

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending