The Student Room Group

Not sure what to firm for uni

I would like to study in Liverpool so I have applied and been given offers from both UoL and John Moores. I would ideally firm UoL and insure John Moores but if I’m being realistic, I’m unlikely to meet the ABB requirement for UoL. I would predict for myself that I’d get BBC on a regular day. My predicted grades are ABB. I am scared that if I firm UoL and get rejected that John Moores will also reject me or I won’t be able to get any accommodation in time for the start of the term at John Moores.
Alternatively, I could firm John Moores and insure UoL but I’ve heard that UoL doesn’t take well to being insured. Also, I really like John Moores so idk whether I should just go there anyway and firm it?
Are UoL lenient with grades?
Will John Moores have uni accommodation available if I go there last minute?
Sorry for all the waffle I’m just really stuck :/
What grades do LJMU require?

What is the policy at both unis regarding allocating accommodation to insurance applicants?
Original post by BryonyRan
I would like to study in Liverpool so I have applied and been given offers from both UoL and John Moores. I would ideally firm UoL and insure John Moores but if I’m being realistic, I’m unlikely to meet the ABB requirement for UoL. I would predict for myself that I’d get BBC on a regular day. My predicted grades are ABB. I am scared that if I firm UoL and get rejected that John Moores will also reject me or I won’t be able to get any accommodation in time for the start of the term at John Moores.
Alternatively, I could firm John Moores and insure UoL but I’ve heard that UoL doesn’t take well to being insured. Also, I really like John Moores so idk whether I should just go there anyway and firm it?
Are UoL lenient with grades?
Will John Moores have uni accommodation available if I go there last minute?
Sorry for all the waffle I’m just really stuck :/

I don't think it would make much sense to insure a uni with a higher grade requirement. Do you have any other offers?
Surely your teachers wouldn't have given you predicted grades they thought you wouldn't be capable of? If you revise well and work hard, could you get your ABB?
In terms of 'taking well to being insured', what do you mean by that? They can't reject you now, and if you do end up going there, I don't think your tutors would know if you firmed or insured, just that you were there.
Reply 3
Original post by ageshallnot
What grades do LJMU require?

What is the policy at both unis regarding allocating accommodation to insurance applicants?

LJMU want 112 ucas points and a C in biology (I’m studying biology) and I know that you can book accommodation for LJMU in March but only if it’s your firm. You are also guaranteed accommodation from UoL if you firm it and apply for accom by July.
Reply 4
Original post by booklover1313
I don't think it would make much sense to insure a uni with a higher grade requirement. Do you have any other offers?
Surely your teachers wouldn't have given you predicted grades they thought you wouldn't be capable of? If you revise well and work hard, could you get your ABB?
In terms of 'taking well to being insured', what do you mean by that? They can't reject you now, and if you do end up going there, I don't think your tutors would know if you firmed or insured, just that you were there.

I am just worried that if I insure LJMU that they won’t have any accommodation for me (I’m not sure if that sounds completely irrational, I don’t know how it all works). I also don’t know if it’s worth firming UoL at all because I really don’t think I’ll get the grades but as you said, it seems dumb to insure a uni with higher grade requirements.
I am just worried that if I insure LJMU that they won’t have any accommodation for me (I’m not sure if that sounds completely irrational, I don’t know how it all works). I also don’t know if it’s worth firming UoL at all because I really don’t think I’ll get the grades but as you said, it seems dumb to insure a uni with higher grade requirements.

In terms of insuring a uni with higher grade requirements, it wouldn’t work because the outcomes are either:
a) you make the lower grades for the LJMU, so you end up going there
b) you miss the grades for LJMU, in which case you would also have missed the grades for UoL, so you wouldn’t be able to go there

I’ll be honest, I’m not sure about the details of accommodation and timings. I would think that if you insure somewhere, you will still be given accommodation if you end up going there. I would contact their accommodations department via email and ask them directly, that way you will get a definite answer.

What do your teachers think about the likelihood of you making the grades for UoL? How about waiting to see how your mocks go and then making a decision from there?
I am just worried that if I insure LJMU that they won’t have any accommodation for me (I’m not sure if that sounds completely irrational, I don’t know how it all works).

I think it's worth checking this with LJMU. On https://www.ljmu.ac.uk/discover/your-student-experience/accommodation/faq it states:

"LJMU guarantees a bedroom in high quality accommodation to all new students, regardless of what course they are doing or when they apply."

However, the same page also says,

"If you have applied to university via UCAS, you must have accepted an offer from LJMU as your firm (first) choice."

There is some ambiguity there.
Reply 7
Original post by booklover1313
In terms of insuring a uni with higher grade requirements, it wouldn’t work because the outcomes are either:
a) you make the lower grades for the LJMU, so you end up going there
b) you miss the grades for LJMU, in which case you would also have missed the grades for UoL, so you wouldn’t be able to go there

I’ll be honest, I’m not sure about the details of accommodation and timings. I would think that if you insure somewhere, you will still be given accommodation if you end up going there. I would contact their accommodations department via email and ask them directly, that way you will get a definite answer.

What do your teachers think about the likelihood of you making the grades for UoL? How about waiting to see how your mocks go and then making a decision from there?

You’re absolutely right! I think I’m just panicking way too much and overthinking everything. I’m going to wait until I’ve got my mock results and then I’ll talk to my form tutor, thank you.
Reply 8
Original post by ageshallnot
I think it's worth checking this with LJMU. On https://www.ljmu.ac.uk/discover/your-student-experience/accommodation/faq it states:

"LJMU guarantees a bedroom in high quality accommodation to all new students, regardless of what course they are doing or when they apply."

However, the same page also says,

"If you have applied to university via UCAS, you must have accepted an offer from LJMU as your firm (first) choice."

There is some ambiguity there.

It said something similar in the booklet they sent me. I’ll check out the website though, thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending