The Student Room Group

Would you go for money or would you go for fulfillment when choosing your job?

If there are 2 companies willing to offer your a job

One pays you above average , however its part of the "sin industry" (gambling, tobacco, alcohol, defense, cannabis) where you feel less fulfillment from working there. Lets put a number to it ? £5000 per month.

Another pays you lesser, around £3800, but its part of an industry where you feel like you are contributing to the society in a positive way. Say for example ( medical , biotechnology , renewable energy )

If you are in your early 20s, with little savings, Which would you choose?
If you are in your early 30s, with enough savings and an established career, would you choose differently?

Scroll to see replies

B, absolutely.
£3800 a month is a good wage, so long as you aren’t living in London or the SE, you would be able to have a good lifestyle with that kind of money.
The sin industries as you term them do real harm to people’s lives.
Original post by Cancelled Alice
B, absolutely.
£3800 a month is a good wage, so long as you aren’t living in London or the SE, you would be able to have a good lifestyle with that kind of money.
The sin industries as you term them do real harm to people’s lives.

oh wow. i am facing this dilemma right now haha. i want to switch but there are few industries that offer the salary i am getting right now.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 3
The salary A pays would simply not be enough for me to sell my soul.

May as well choose B, live off my parents and ‘contribute’ somewhat to society (those industries are still pretty dodgy tbh).
Option B
I would choose B because id rather not work in a "sin industry". not because I feel working in a something that contributes positive to society like the ones you mentioned would necessarily make my life feel more fulfilling or that my life fulfilment should come from the paid role I do.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Mesopotamian.
Option B

Do you not wonder what could i have done with that extra money if you pick A?
It would depend on a variety of factors.
Precisely which "sin industry", the role, non-financial perks coming with the job and opportunities for making helpful business contacts.
If the industry & role did not involve: cannabis, any illegal narcotics/experimental medicinal substances or the adult entertainment industry - probably A.
Original post by HucktheForde
Do you not wonder what could i have done with that extra money if you pick A?

No, I can’t say I would.
Choice A - there's always going to be someone right behind you that's willing to take that job. I know it's selfish, but it's ultimately down to the choices people make.
I've worked in defence and aerospace and it's quite insulting to say it's a 'sin industry' akin to illegal drug production, anyway...

I have recently accepted a job that pays a bit less than what I was doing before and is also slightly longer hours. I made the move because I was miserable in my old job, not because of the industry but because of other circumstances.

Already I am liking it a lot more and I prefer that to any amount of money I was being paid in the job I left.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by CoolCavy
I've worked in defence and aerospace and it's quite insulting to say it's a 'sin industry' akin to illegal drug production, anyway...

I have recently accepted a job that pays a bit less than what I was doing before and is also slightly longer hours. I made the move because I was miserable in my old job, not because of the industry but because of other circumstances.

Already I am liking it a lot more and I prefer that to any amount of money I was being paid in the job I left.

I took that definition from the financial world , thats how they coin it.

By the way, i know of investors who refuse to invest in defence companies (or any other sin stocks) for moral reasons.
(edited 2 years ago)
Definitely less money but happier job, if the person can afford to. "You can get more money, you can't get more time" and all that :tongue:
Original post by HucktheForde
I took that definition from the financial world , thats how they coin it.

By the way, i know of investors who refuse to invest in defence companies (or any other sin stocks) for moral reasons.

If you actually know about defence stuff it isn't all weapons and guns. There's plenty of niche areas that don't directly have anything to do with that. I would expand further but I don't wish to reveal the company I worked for by inference.

Your blanket statement could easily be applied to the medical 'pharma' sectors which you have listed in the 'contributing to society positively' section. Arguably a lot of pharma companies exploit vulnerable people by significantly marking up the cost of life-saving drugs.
Reply 14
Option B every time
Original post by CoolCavy
If you actually know about defence stuff it isn't all weapons and guns. There's plenty of niche areas that don't directly have anything to do with that. I would expand further but I don't wish to reveal the company I worked for by inference.

Your blanket statement could easily be applied to the medical 'pharma' sectors which you have listed in the 'contributing to society positively' section. Arguably a lot of pharma companies exploit vulnerable people by significantly marking up the cost of life-saving drugs.

The exploitation is considered as bad behavior from individual companies. I am talking about industry as a whole. The pharma industry manufactures life saving drugs. Literally, saving lives. In an industry there can be individual companies that behave badly, but as an industry its a noble profession. You can move from a bad behaving company to a good one without switching industry. However if you are working in an industry that in its nature of what it does does not really create value for the society or creates very little value, you can switch to any individual company and it would still be the same.
See the difference?
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by londonmyst
It would depend on a variety of factors.
Precisely which "sin industry", the role, non-financial perks coming with the job and opportunities for making helpful business contacts.
If the industry & role did not involve: cannabis, any illegal narcotics/experimental medicinal substances or the adult entertainment industry - probably A.

Agreed. They listed 'defence'. Does that mean armed forces, or something of that sort? The definition of 'sin industry' isn't exactly clear.
Option B for sure
I'd choose the second option in any scenario. I wouldn't work for a company which went against my moral values.
Original post by Roses.Are.Red
Agreed. They listed 'defence'. Does that mean armed forces, or something of that sort? The definition of 'sin industry' isn't exactly clear.

Often includes private military contractors and major suppliers who do not sell any weapons/weapons components but the majority of their turnover comes from deals with the military.

Quick Reply

Latest