The Student Room Group

Choosing the right university course

I’m currently in year 12 and talk about university and courses is starting, and I feel there is a lot of pressure about knowing what you want to do. The a-levels that I am taking are English language, Fine Art and Psychology, these may seem a bit random I had no idea what I wanted to do at the time and just chose what I enjoyed. I am currently trying to think about what I want to do in the future and study at university. I definitely enjoy all of my subjects but I am facing a dilemma in that I would like to do something creative however I don’t just want to do art. I would like to do a course that combines being creative and academic.I also worry about picking a course that will lead me to a career and I worry that doing a creative course doesn’t lead to a future career. I’ve always wanted to go to a good university and do a respected course. Career wise I am extremely uncertain and am sort of facing the same issue of wanting to do something creative but also academic and respectable. I was wondering if anyone themselves had faced this dilemma or if anyone had any advice or ideas about courses they feel might fit I would really appreciate any help and advice at all.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by miae:)
I’m currently in year 12 and talk about university and courses is starting, and I feel there is a lot of pressure about knowing what you want to do. The a-levels that I am taking are English language, Fine Art and Psychology, these may seem a bit random I had no idea what I wanted to do at the time and just chose what I enjoyed. I am currently trying to think about what I want to do in the future and study at university. I definitely enjoy all of my subjects but I am facing a dilemma in that I would like to do something creative however I don’t just want to do art. I would like to do a course that combines being creative and academic.I also worry about picking a course that will lead me to a career and I worry that doing a creative course doesn’t lead to a future career. I’ve always wanted to go to a good university and do a respected course. Career wise I am extremely uncertain and am sort of facing the same issue of wanting to do something creative but also academic and respectable. I was wondering if anyone themselves had faced this dilemma or if anyone had any advice or ideas about courses they feel might fit I would really appreciate any help and advice at all.

Hi there!

My name is Eleanor and I'm a student ambassador at Coventry University- I study Illustration & Animation, I'm currently in my third year and looking to work at Aardman afterwards.

Although you seem concerned about solely focusing on art -worrying about not getting a job also- I would advise looking at Coventry University or any other Universities whose main focus is to ready you for the industry in everyway possible. Coventry has prepared me for every form of job after uni and has given me vast knowledge of all my options and what's expected of me from companies. Unlike other Universities who just teach you art, Coventry teaches you art and how to make it into a profession and helps make you become a readied artist.

Coventry offers a handful of art courses, here's the link to see if anything intrigues you: https://www.coventry.ac.uk/study-at-coventry/course-finder-search-results/?search=art

Not only does Coventry offer this guidance of business, it's one of the only Universities that offer Add-vantages, which is a chance for you to experience different courses you may of never thought of doing before- such as Games Art or even getting your license to fly a plane! Add-vantage means you could focus on Art as your main course but then learn BSL (sign language) on the side or focus on business or journalism! It offers you to have backups and try out different subjects which you may do a masters in. Here's a link to read more about Add-vantages if these are also of interest: https://www.coventry.ac.uk/study-at-coventry/faculties-and-schools/coventry-business-school/international-centre-for-transformational-entrepreneurship-icte/advantage-modules/

As you can see from my course, I do Animation & Illustration, showing that universities do offer a mix course. I am aware that a lot of Universities offer Therapy Art as a subject which may be of interest since you do psychology?

I hope this all helps! If you have more questions feel free to reply and either me or another ambassador will get in touch.

El

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending