The Student Room Group

Would a Yale undergraduate degree be equal to a UK bachelor's?

Would employers see these as equals?

Scroll to see replies

Yes ofc. On par with an Oxbridge degree, with possibly the added bonus of demonstrating an adventurous spirit for going abroad.
Yes. An undergraduate degree from Yale would also be a bachelors degree and Yale is a world renowned institution
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
Yes ofc. On par with an Oxbridge degree, with possibly the added bonus of demonstrating an adventurous spirit for going abroad.

thank you. I thought so but couldn't find any info online!
Reply 4
Original post by kamara41
Yes. An undergraduate degree from Yale would also be a bachelors degree and Yale is a world renowned institution

Thank you!!

not on par with oxbridge surely?
Yes, all supertop-tier Unis (Harvard, Yale, Priceton, MIT, Stanford, Oxbridge, Zurich etc) carry the same weight with employers/other Unis roughly. Especially worldwide. Then ofc people in each country will be more familiar with their locals/regional ones and so on. In the US, for example, Oxford is generally better known (and has a greater reputation) than Cambridge.
Statistically it's harder to get into the top US unis- the entire Ivy League (excluding Cornell, which is larger) admits less students per year than Oxbridge combined.
Infact, if you are superbright and from a poor country, you wouldn't even consider Oxbridge- too expensive. You'd get the same level of education/name recognition for free at any great US uni. I know a few exceptional people from places like Tunisia, Hungary, SouthAmerica, and they all went to the US on free rides at HYPMS.
British snobism and the insularity of its education system is not a worldwide phenom... :wink:
Yes, all supertop-tier Unis (Harvard, Yale, Priceton, MIT, Stanford, Oxbridge, Zurich etc) carry the same weight with employers/other Unis roughly. Especially worldwide. Then ofc people in each country will be more familiar with their locals/regional ones and so on. In the US, for example, Oxford is generally better known (and has a greater reputation) than Cambridge.
Statistically it's harder to get into the top US unis- the entire Ivy League (excluding Cornell, which is larger) admits less students per year than Oxbridge combined.
Infact, if you are superbright and from a poor country, you wouldn't even consider Oxbridge- too expensive. You'd get the same level of education/name recognition for free at any great US uni. I know a few exceptional people from places like Tunisia, Hungary, SouthAmerica, and they all went to the US on free rides at HYPMS.
British snobism and the insularity of its education system is not a worldwide phenom... :wink:

I agree that Harvard, Stanford, MIT etc are on part with oxbridge (if not better) but not other unis like yale
Yale reminds me of UCL and LSE for some reason.
Yale reminds me of UCL and LSE for some reason.

exactly
I agree that Harvard, Stanford, MIT etc are on part with oxbridge (if not better) but not other unis like yale

Why is it that you'd say that?
Why is it that you'd say that?

Don't get me wrong, Yale IS a world renowned institution. The brand of Yale WILL work in your favour when applying for jobs
Don't get me wrong, Yale IS a world renowned institution. The brand of Yale WILL work in your favour when applying for jobs

I'm not offended by your answer, don't worry, I just would like to know why you wouldn't consider it on par with Oxbridge. I know it tends to rank lower in worldwide uni rankings, but are there other reasons? I want to make sure my decision whether to apply or not is as informed as possible.
I'm not offended by your answer, don't worry, I just would like to know why you wouldn't consider it on par with Oxbridge. I know it tends to rank lower in worldwide uni rankings, but are there other reasons? I want to make sure my decision whether to apply or not is as informed as possible.

do you have an oxbridge offer?
do you have an oxbridge offer?

No, I'm not at the age to apply to university yet. I'm doing research into it for next year. My past grades and predicted grades are excellent though, and I have 3 examples of relevant work experience to the degree I want, so I'm pretty confident that I will receive one when the time comes (knock on wood).
In general yes,
you might find in specific jobs certain degrees components are expected & standard in the UK (for example accreditations) whereas not in the US degrees.
Haha people on this thread are funny. it will be good to remember that the US is approx 40 times bigger than the UK and is not restricted to 'Oxbridge and then everything else' mentality. its more like 'Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Stanford, MIT and a few more and then everything else' mentality, but even that would be an overstatement.

To the op: Yale is a great uni, and a bachelor's from there would be a great achievement. In my personal opinion Yale is definitely on par with oxbridge. good luck.
The problem with all ‘prestige’ type questions is that the answer is subjective. It’s going to vary depending on the employer, sector and country that you are applying for work in.

You’re better off researching what course and education system suits you better, rather than fielding random opinions about minuscule differences in how similarly ranked unis are positioned.
No, I'm not at the age to apply to university yet. I'm doing research into it for next year. My past grades and predicted grades are excellent though, and I have 3 examples of relevant work experience to the degree I want, so I'm pretty confident that I will receive one when the time comes (knock on wood).

'I'm pretty confident that I will receive one'

I don't mean to burst your bubble but remember these are top unis, there is steep competition and there are a good number of candidates who have impressive credentials.

ah. methinks that in this situation it will be good to point out that US admissions is a whole different ball game when compared to the UK. past and predicted grades and relevant work experience is all well and good, but do remember that one doesn't really apply for a subject when applying to US unis (correct me if I am wrong), and they are also looking for things like leadership potential and similar personality traits as evidenced by extra and super curricular activities -- something which uk unis, especially Oxbridge, don't give a toss about. also, bear in mind the fees of US unis in case you don't get funding can range from anywhere between 40-60 grad a year for a four year course. in sum: excellent grades are the bare minimum, and even these can sometimes be overlooked for potential in sports or daddy's last name and legacy. so yes, amazing grades plus leadership plus a good story plus I don't know whatever makes you think you are that rare gem that they must have on campus. good luck.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending