The Student Room Group

English Literature Personal Statement

I’m in the process of my final draft for my English lit personal statement but am getting worried that i’ve made it too academic. Most websites advised to talk largely about a variety of books you’ve read and analyse them so nearly 3/4 of my ps is this. i’m worried now that this is too much and i won’t be selling myself personally enough. will this be ok or is there any tricks i should add into these paragraphs to make sure the personal statement still revolves around me and selling myself?
hey!! i think i can help haha i’ve also applied for english but i applied in october so i received most of my offers. i included 2/3 books in mine and analysed them briefly but mainly included my thoughts and why i found it interesting. i think when you mention the books mention why they’re interesting to you, for example what is it about the imagery or use of x and z that makes you feel this way. that way you also analyse it but also include your own thoughts so they can see a bit about how you view things. what else have you included apart from books?
Reply 2
Original post by succubus666
hey!! i think i can help haha i’ve also applied for english but i applied in october so i received most of my offers. i included 2/3 books in mine and analysed them briefly but mainly included my thoughts and why i found it interesting. i think when you mention the books mention why they’re interesting to you, for example what is it about the imagery or use of x and z that makes you feel this way. that way you also analyse it but also include your own thoughts so they can see a bit about how you view things. what else have you included apart from books?

thanks for your help!! :smile: i’ve written a bit about work experience, hobbies such as music and creative writing, visiting landmarks to do with literature and a tiny bit about working on my gap year. it takes up about 1000 characters all together
Original post by lysemily
thanks for your help!! :smile: i’ve written a bit about work experience, hobbies such as music and creative writing, visiting landmarks to do with literature and a tiny bit about working on my gap year. it takes up about 1000 characters all together

that sounds really good! where did you apply to? :smile:
Reply 4
that sounds really good! where did you apply to? :smile:

thanks!! i’m deciding between kingston and northampton for my first choice. how about you? :smile:
thanks!! i’m deciding between kingston and northampton for my first choice. how about you? :smile:

awesome i hope you get in! i applied to kcl, cambridge, york, sheffield and bristol :smile:
Reply 6
awesome i hope you get in! i applied to kcl, cambridge, york, sheffield and bristol :smile:

thanks and good luck to you too!! :smile:
A PS isn't an essay - as the previous poster said, it's about your interest in English lit and the sorts of things you will study :smile:
I’m in the process of my final draft for my English lit personal statement but am getting worried that i’ve made it too academic. Most websites advised to talk largely about a variety of books you’ve read and analyse them so nearly 3/4 of my ps is this. i’m worried now that this is too much and i won’t be selling myself personally enough. will this be ok or is there any tricks i should add into these paragraphs to make sure the personal statement still revolves around me and selling myself?

Hi @lysemily,

You should use your personal statement to show your enthusiasm for English Literature and why you would like to study it. This can be done through a few different methods.

It would be advisable to discuss certain books that you find particularly interesting and why? Are there particular motifs and themes that you would like to continue your study of at university level?

It may be useful to include certain goals that you have related to the study of Literature and how you feel you can benefit from studying this.

You may also want to include any ways in which you engage with literature outside of your studies. You could include any work experience that you have done. Do you create or listen to any English podcasts? Do you have a blog reviewing books you have read?

I think it would be good to include a balance of analysis and using this opportunity to sell yourself to the university.

I hope this helps. Good luck with your applications!

Luke

Course Enquiries Team

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending