The Student Room Group

How much would living off Mc Donald’s take off your life span?

I am a student and I really don’t have the time to cook. Mc Donald’s is cheap, cheaper than getting catered accommodation. Don’t think that I want to waste my GP’s time with this, so thought I’d ask here.
Even with my new retail job, which I am probably going to leave anyway for personal reasons, I am broke.

Scroll to see replies

You could try it and let us know?

Spoiler

(edited 2 years ago)
Cooking yourself is always a cheap way to get food, probably cheaper than maccie d's, and you'd gain a cool life skill from it!
Original post by kayPak
I am a student and I really don’t have the time to cook. Mc Donald’s is cheap, cheaper than getting catered accommodation. Don’t think that I want to waste my GP’s time with this, so thought I’d ask here.
Even with my new retail job, which I am probably going to leave anyway for personal reasons, I am broke.

I don’t think it’s manageable, it would inevitably lead to all sorts of nutritional & fibre deficiencies, failing to consume enough vitamins & things over a long enough time can really effect your whole body. But I think the lack of fibre will probably catch up first (purely speculative, I have no expertise).

did you not watch supersize me in school?
Reply 4
Original post by black tea

Spoiler

It’s difficult to communicate information when you are dead!:tongue:

What really? Even when you factor in time?
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by kayPak
It’s difficult to communicate information when you are dead!:tongue:

What really? Even when you factor in time?

Definitely. You can do other stuff whilst cooking - I will often put a film on, or listen to a podcast or audiobook.
Reply 6
Original post by mnot
I don’t think it’s manageable, it would inevitably lead to all sorts of nutritional & fibre deficiencies, failing to consume enough vitamins & things over a long enough time can really effect your whole body. But I think the lack of fibre will probably catch up first (purely speculative, I have no expertise).

I’ve watched 500ibs life before. Of course I wouldn’t exceed 1800 Kcals per day, MacDonald’s have nutritional labels on all of their products. Couldn’t I just make up the discrepancy in vitamins with prescription ****?
I don’t think it works like that
So time does make it difficult, but you said cheap, if your asking about cheap, your time mustn't be worth much... (sorry, harsh but true)
I'm not one to bash McDonalds, but if you can't find time to cook, the problem is in your time management, not your diet.
If you want to go full on, cheapest possible, I reccomend buying a rice cooker and then a different type of rice for each of the 7 days and just eat sweet sweet rice.
Reply 11
Original post by OnlyTheQuack
If you want to go full on, cheapest possible, I reccomend buying a rice cooker and then a different type of rice for each of the 7 days and just eat sweet sweet rice.

What’s a rice cooker, sorry?
Original post by kayPak
I’ve watched 500ibs life before. Of course I wouldn’t exceed 1800 Kcals per day, MacDonald’s have nutritional labels on all of their products. Couldn’t I just make up the discrepancy in vitamins with prescription ****?

Does that follow 500 people with irritable bowel syndrome or did you mean lbs.

Supersize me is a documentary about someone who only eats mcdonalds
Reply 13
Original post by mnot
Does that follow 500 people with irritable bowel syndrome or did you mean lbs.

Supersize me is a documentary about someone who only eats mcdonalds

Sounds as though that would be risky for the camera woman.

Oh the one about ARFID? Obvs I’ll be eating more than 5 types of dishes.
Original post by mnot

Some French guy actually tried it under medical supervision with regular blood tests for a period of several months.The results were alarming.Even bringing in the salads they stopped the experiment well before the programmed date as they believed his life was in danger!
20-30 years.
Original post by black tea

Spoiler

I know you can meal prep for 1-2 weeks, but what the hell do you cook once a month that lasts several weeks? I need tips haha
Reply 17
Original post by zuluwarrior7650
20-30 years.

If it was really as bad as smoking/ alcohol, why doesn’t it come with health warnings?
Original post by kayPak
If it was really as bad as smoking/ alcohol, why doesn’t it come with health warnings?

You can have it occassionally and it won't be so bad, alcohol makes you drunk and drunk driving is obvs a bad thing ygm
Original post by kayPak

Sodium, cholesterol, saturated fats, refined carbohydrates are incorporated into all sorts of diets anyway its more a question of balance & proportion.

Perfectly fine as a weekend treat, not ok as a staple diet, it’s common knowledge.
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending