The Student Room Group

More deep questions

Do incels and trolls on an individual level stem from the same kind of problems?
A lot of trolls are just a result of boredom and procrastination. Some people genuinely have nothing better to do so in attempt to make their boring lives more interesting, they say something controversial or just downright stupid.
Incels on the other hand are clearly not just bored individuals but probably have one or more psychological issues that they themselves might not even be aware of.
The problem being stupidity?
Sometimes.
Blatantly disturbing personalities, unpleasant sense of humour, entitlement issues, lots of ego and sadism that they don't even attempt to conceal.
Reply 4
I feel like I've missed a trick here? If I knew what 'problems' you were referring to I might have some insight to answer?

The statement doesn't make sense - You would like me to 'label' and 'define' two words (Incel and Troll) and shoe horn them into your phrase "same kind of problems"

What problems?

I can only wonder if this is indeed from a real Troll?

How exciting - but perhaps a completely pointless post?
Original post by Muttly
I feel like I've missed a trick here? If I knew what 'problems' you were referring to I might have some insight to answer?

The statement doesn't make sense - You would like me to 'label' and 'define' two words (Incel and Troll) and shoe horn them into your phrase "same kind of problems"

What problems?

I’ve had various (legal) accounts on here for years, if I where a troll I would have been banished long a go.
Pointless thread = pointless posts???
Reply 6
Original post by Muttly

What problems?

this is almost word salad, it is clear to most of us regulars here to what Cancelled Alice is referring.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 7
I don’t understand the outrage about incels, the fact that they’re being treated with the same level of severity as Islamic terrorists is beyond me. They’re just sad losers that need no attention and leave it at that.
Reply 8
Original post by brjf
I don’t understand the outrage about incels, the fact that they’re being treated with the same level of severity as Islamic terrorists is beyond me. They’re just sad losers that need no attention and leave it at that.

It's because a couple have committed mass murder
Reply 9
Original post by gjd800
It's because a couple have committed mass murder

Okay, I understand that, but them being an incel had nothing to do with those actions; that was as a result of much deeper more underlying mental health problems than being an incel.
Reply 10
Original post by brjf
Okay, I understand that, but them being an incel had nothing to do with those actions; that was as a result of much deeper more underlying mental health problems than being an incel.

I'm not sure how you can conclusively determine that. It is not a necessary condition of incel-dom, sure. But to state anything stronger than that is a bit presumptuous, I think
Reply 11
Original post by gjd800
I'm not sure how you can conclusively determine that. It is not a necessary condition of incel-dom, sure. But to state anything stronger than that is a bit presumptuous, I think

I guess we could look at mass shootings in America then, while the perpetrators of those will belong to extremist ideas and groups, almost always they have severe underlying mental health problems that have played a much bigger role in causing those events to happen. Those that experience mental health problems are almost always more isolated and are more prone to being manipulated and thus drawn into extremist ideas.
Reply 12
Original post by brjf
I guess we could look at mass shootings in America then, while the perpetrators of those will belong to extremist ideas and groups, almost always they have severe underlying mental health problems that have played a much bigger role in causing those events to happen. Those that experience mental health problems are almost always more isolated and are more prone to being manipulated and thus drawn into extremist ideas.

Yes, i accept this (at least in large part)

Will you draw the same links to those drawn to religious extremism, and if yes, are you not then effectively treating incels the same way as islamic extremists?

Genuine question, I'm not trying to catch you out etc.
Reply 13
Original post by gjd800
Yes, i accept this (at least in large part)

Will you draw the same links to those drawn to religious extremism, and if yes, are you not then effectively treating incels the same way as islamic extremists?

Genuine question, I'm not trying to catch you out etc.

I guess it’s different with religious extremism because there’s not a strong link between mental health issues and religious extremism or one that I’m not aware of at least but I guess upon reflection and in relation to my previous statement I’d say not exactly the same but approaching it at the same angle.
Reply 14
Original post by brjf
I guess it’s different with religious extremism because there’s not a strong link between mental health issues and religious extremism or one that I’m not aware of at least but I guess upon reflection and in relation to my previous statement I’d say not exactly the same but approaching it at the same angle.

Yeah, I'm the same, I think. I feel inclined to view it from a similar frame, at least

The research is kinds muddled on it. I suppose it's more difficult to 'get at' in many ways. I do wonder about young, disenfranchised converts,a nd I am cynical about a lot of it. Powerful men exploiting youngsters that are incredibly daft, or disenfranchised, or learning disabled, or mentally ill, or a combination thereof etc. I do wonder how many true believers there really are.
Reply 15
Doesn't it depend how you are conditioned as you grow up? The religious 'guidance' continually to avoid people of other faiths and to be insular for faith creates many conflicting dilemmas for teenagers (& adults) It can leave people feeling isolated in real life and believing they are excluded for religious beliefs? Choose us or them is a very polarised view in some religions? Add these insights onto anyone struggling with a mental health issue and its bound to put the pressure on even more? Its always the case isn't it that the middle aged selfish architect of terror is too cowardly to do anything themselves - they have to recruit some poor vulnerable expendable.

Quick Reply

Latest