The Student Room Group

Ial Edexcel Further Math and Math jan 22 discusion thread

Hey , this the discussion thread of Jan 2022 Further Mathematics and Mathematics. Feel free to share your after exam experience . Also if u need any assistance before the exam post it here .
(edited 2 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

P3. Log question. It was to find value p and value q.

The value of p was like 550. What did u get for the value of q? Was it like 0.8 or 1.2. My friends are discussing which is correct.
Reply 2
the value of q is 1.2 ... ... at first i got 0.8 crossed my answer and replaced it with 1.2

Original post by forever56
P3. Log question. It was to find value p and value q.

The value of p was like 550. What did u get for the value of q? Was it like 0.8 or 1.2. My friends are discussing which is correct.
Reply 3
do you remember the coordinates of the modulus graph? ...i got (-7/2, -10) ...
what was your range of the composite function ff(x) ..mine was 5 to 22
Original post by BlackFinch
do you remember the coordinates of the modulus graph? ...i got (-7/2, -10) ...
what was your range of the composite function ff(x) ..mine was 5 to 22

yea spot on, but not sure whether 5 was positive or negative
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 5
P3 Q10 what did you get for the value of k ?
Reply 6
Original post by Yay22
P3 Q10 what did you get for the value of k ?

didn't have enough time to solve....i guess , you had to put dy/dx is zero to find the max value then k would be less than that max value
(edited 2 years ago)
-1/2 to 0
Original post by BenjaminRusah
-1/2 to 0

same
Is anyone doing p4?
Reply 10
Original post by IGCSEsurvivor
Is anyone doing p4?

sitting for P3, P4, M3, Fp2, Fp3, S2 this jan.

Hey, I'm taking FP2 and S2 too! (and S3) How did you find FP2?? It was more difficult than the past papers for me. Do you want to check answers if you remember them? I wrote down the questions in the pdf attached. Good luck with S2 today!!
Reply 12
Original post by sararah04
Hey, I'm taking FP2 and S2 too! (and S3) How did you find FP2?? It was more difficult than the past papers for me. Do you want to check answers if you remember them? I wrote down the questions in the pdf attached. Good luck with S2 today!

fp2 was the toughest in history of further mathematics. i messed uu like 15 marks ....man you are a genius , don't remember all the answers but your answers seem to be correct and you will end up getting full ums for sure ..i am really curious what do u eat ? i feel so stupid compared to u , prepared for full ums but got f**ked by this paper.
Just finished S2 exam ...things coupd have been better, might barely get an A* but not full ums ....
Reply 13
guess the grade boundary of fp2 for A*

wow That's a lot of math
Good luck with all of them
Hi does anyone have p3 model answers, it’s my first time sitting it and I’m really scared
fp2 was the toughest in history of further mathematics. i messed uu like 15 marks ....man you are a genius , don't remember all the answers but your answers seem to be correct and you will end up getting full ums for sure ..i am really curious what do u eat ? i feel so stupid compared to u , prepared for full ums but got f**ked by this paper.
Just finished S2 exam ...things coupd have been better, might barely get an A* but not full ums ....

Heyy nono I was just lucky in being able to answer all the questions

S2 was easier than I thought!

Someone asked for the pilot and last question in the other thread, so I wrote it down here as well :smile:

120 (?) was n and 0.045 was p
- Binomial to poisson approximations with landa = 5.4
- Exactly 5, so should use the poisson formula

96 was n and 0.75 was p
- Binomial to normal approximations with N(72, 18)
- Two tail test at 5% sig level (as no direction given)
- 67 is in the lower tail probability of smaller than 67.5 was 0.1444 smth which is greater than 0.025, so accept H0
This was the last question for S2, in case anyone's curious!

Where A~U[10, 30], I did L~U[root 10, root 30]. L is one side of a square and A is the area.

Find P(L>=4.5)
- L^2>20.25
- (30-20.25)/20

Find Var(L)
- E[L^2] is just (10+30)/2
- For E[L] should have integrated L/(root 30-root10) with root 30 and root 10 as limits
- I got 1.44 smth for the final value, and checked with a few of my classmates!
(edited 2 years ago)
guess the grade boundary of fp2 for A*

For the October 2021 the A* cut was 55 (I don't know why it was so low), which was the lowest in the FP2 history, and I guess Jan 2022 was harder so I'm guessing maybe 53-ish? But that might be too low, I'm not sure.
Reply 19
Original post by sararah04
Heyy nono I was just lucky in being able to answer all the questions

S2 was easier than I thought!

Someone asked for the pilot and last question in the other thread, so I wrote it down here as well :smile:

120 (?) was n and 0.045 was p
- Binomial to poisson approximations with landa = 5.4
- Exactly 5, so should use the poisson formula

96 was n and 0.75 was p
- Binomial to normal approximations with N(72, 18)
- Two tail test at 5% sig level (as no direction given)
- 67 is in the lower tail probability of smaller than 67.5 was 0.1444 smth which is greater than 0.025, so accept H0

i did the same

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending