The Student Room Group

Reapplying to Oxford (2023) whilst at a University

Unfortunately rejected from PPE this year post-interview; awaiting feedback, but am pretty sure my TSA score is where I fell short, really unfortunate since my centre had an array of technical issues on the day. I am pretty set on reapplying granted I am awarded strong enough grades after my A-Level Exams.

However, I am most likely to reapply whilst enrolled at university to mitigate the risk of a year out of education (just don't think it will do me well, personally). Does anyone have any experience doing this? Found some pretty old threads, but wondered if more recently anyone has had any issues with Oxford/particular colleges etc. or just would be able to provide some broader insight.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 1
I think Oxford does not accept application when you are in university
Reply 2
Original post by Cloumo

I've emailed a few colleges, and it is possible as long as there are "strong reasons for moving university after the first year" - aside from that, there are threads on here/others online who have written about going through the aforementioned process.
Which A-Level subjects have you chosen? There are TSA tests on the website from 2008 to 2020, so practice them! :wink:

A Post A-Level application is usually stronger, as you already have met the offer and only the interviews matter as well as the TSA!!! :smile:

What about Cambridge University? Economics

Or even Harvard, Yale, Princeton, MIT or Amherst as they give full funding to International applicants as well as Americans!!! :biggrin:
Original post by Cloumo

What if the university study is outside UK?
Reply 5
Original post by ChoeParker
What if the university study is outside U

If you really want Oxbridge, you might need to leave your current university to reapply. Though Oxford may still interview you if you have a university, it is highly unlikely they would accept you in the end, as long as there are already more qualified students from current academic year than places.
Original post by thegeek888
Which A-Level subjects have you chosen? There are TSA tests on the website from 2008 to 2020, so practice them! :wink:

A Post A-Level application is usually stronger, as you already have met the offer and only the interviews matter as well as the TSA!!! :smile:

What about Cambridge University? Economics

Or even Harvard, Yale, Princeton, MIT or Amherst as they give full funding to International applicants as well as Americans!!! :biggrin:

Cambridge are even less keen on applications if you are already at university.

https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/applying/entrance-requirements/students-at-other-uk-universities
Original post by Cloumo

Original post by OBPzer
I've emailed a few colleges, and it is possible as long as there are "strong reasons for moving university after the first year" - aside from that, there are threads on here/others online who have written about going through the aforementioned process.

Pretty sure Oxford does accept applications while you’re studying elsewhere whereas Cambridge does not.
Original post by Muttley79
Cambridge are even less keen on applications if you are already at university.

https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/applying/entrance-requirements/students-at-other-uk-universities

Because of The Tripos system, and it is very intense with the workload too.
Original post by Son of the Sea
Pretty sure Oxford does accept applications while you’re studying elsewhere whereas Cambridge does not.

It's mentioned on Cambridge website that "The Cambridge Colleges will not normally consider applications to Cambridge from students enrolled on degree courses at other UK universities". So in this case, it will tend to accept those studying at Uni outside the UK. Is that right?
Original post by ChoeParker
It's mentioned on Cambridge website that "The Cambridge Colleges will not normally consider applications to Cambridge from students enrolled on degree courses at other UK universities". So in this case, it will tend to accept those studying at Uni outside the UK. Is that right?

Email some colleges and see.Oxford would have less of a problem with it in general.
Reply 12
Decided its best to just commit, taking a productive year out and re-applying to my five choices again for 2023 entry.
Original post by OBPzer
Decided its best to just commit, taking a productive year out and re-applying to my five choices again for 2023 entry.

Please do not do any withdrawing until after A level results. Plan ahead by all means but have 2 plans as results are never a given. Unless you want a gap year anyway. But still wait until August to do anything about offers.
Reply 14
Original post by Scotney
Please do not do any withdrawing until after A level results. Plan ahead by all means but have 2 plans as results are never a given. Unless you want a gap year anyway. But still wait until August to do anything about offers.

Definitely won't be withdrawing until offer day - thank you for the advice :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by OBPzer
Unfortunately rejected from PPE this year post-interview; awaiting feedback, but am pretty sure my TSA score is where I fell short, really unfortunate since my centre had an array of technical issues on the day. I am pretty set on reapplying granted I am awarded strong enough grades after my A-Level Exams.

However, I am most likely to reapply whilst enrolled at university to mitigate the risk of a year out of education (just don't think it will do me well, personally). Does anyone have any experience doing this? Found some pretty old threads, but wondered if more recently anyone has had any issues with Oxford/particular colleges etc. or just would be able to provide some broader insight.

TSA related Oxford video :smile:
https://youtu.be/tl45qEDXOXw
Original post by OBPzer

Good luck! That's what I'm also doing, so you'll have to update me on how it goes!
Hi OP, i will be doing this from another uni! I cant afford to take another gap year due to issues at home. but good luck

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending