The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hello83
I have been getting As in my a levels which are very hard and I’m always hearing people about how clever I am, some even say they wish they had my brain. Can I get evil eye from this, should I stop sharing my grades?

Most people don't believe in evil eye.
It's superstition, just ignore it.
If you don't want to you don't have to share your grades.
Reply 2
No, you cannot get ‘evil eye’ from people admiring your intelligence.
Original post by hello83
I have been getting As in my a levels which are very hard and I’m always hearing people about how clever I am, some even say they wish they had my brain. Can I get evil eye from this, should I stop sharing my grades?

Hi there

Perhaps only tell you're immediate family and if others ask about you're grades/ studies just say you're doing well and not explicitly tell them the grade.

Are you muslim by any chance?
Original post by hello83

No. Why would you get an evil eye over this? :confused:
what is evil eye
No. Most people do not have the skills or knowledge to successfully curse you.
Original post by 0ptics
No. Why would you get an evil eye over this? :confused:

It's because other apparently other Asian parents/adults can envy others whose children are performing better than their own kids and so want their kids not be as successful as their own.
Original post by Porridge9280
what is evil eye

its the belief where when people are jealous / envious / wish bad on you, then something will happen to you. i.e., if you flaunt your new car, and ppl are jealous, you might crash your car
Original post by pacemerchant
its the belief where when people are jealous / envious / wish bad on you, then something will happen to you. i.e., if you flaunt your new car, and ppl are jealous, you might crash your car

so nothing real then. have I just stumbled onto witch craft TSR?
Original post by TriplexA
It's because other apparently other Asian parents/adults can envy others whose children are performing better than their own kids and so want their kids not be as successful as their own.

That makes sense. Assuming this is the case (which it probably is), it’s sickening that they’re resorting to old superstition just to validate their children. Absolutely vile. :yucky:
I don’t know what evil eye is but certainly people can get jealous
Reply 12
I’m muslim, so for all you non Muslims that’s are trying to butt in saying that this is wrong, I’m not asking you can stay out of it. This question is for Muslims
Original post by pacemerchant

Hey I'm pretty sure I helped you on the medics thread re Newcastle. Are you also muslim?
Hey I'm pretty sure I helped you on the medics thread re Newcastle. Are you also muslim?

hi yes you did, thank you again for that, and yes i am :smile:
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by 0ptics
That makes sense. Assuming this is the case (which it probably is), it’s sickening that they’re resorting to old superstition just to validate their children. Absolutely vile. :yucky:

Asian people in particular are more likely to be I'm afraid.

OP also ask your family not to tell others about your grades and ensure you/they don't openly share on their social media results day slips etc.
Original post by hello83
I’m muslim, so for all you non Muslims that’s are trying to butt in saying that this is wrong, I’m not asking you can stay out of it. This question is for Muslims

No it isn’t. OP didn’t say “only Muslims can answer this” did they? This is a public thread and, therefore, anyone can answer.

Edit: didn’t know I was talking to the OP themself but the public thread point still stays.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by hello83

Then ask it on a Muslim forum. Personally I'm quite disturbed that a potential medic could believe stuff like this....I hope I never encounter you in a professional capacity.
Asian people in particular are more likely to be I'm afraid.

OP also ask your family not to tell others about your grades and ensure you/they don't openly share on their social media results day slips etc.

PRSOM.
Reply 19
Original post by hello83

Your post didn't say you only wanted opinions from Muslims. How were we supposed to know that? The evil eye belief isn't exclusive to Islam, so it's reasonable to assume other people would respond if you don't specify who you want opinions from.

Latest

Trending

Trending