The Student Room Group

2022 private candidate support group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Jdan12341451
Hi my names Jayden and I’m doing Economics, Business, Politics and Maths

Hi Jayden!!!! How are you finding your course so far??:smile:
Okay umm.. My statement of entry shows that my Further Maths and Decision Maths is IAL unit type... But I would like to cash in it as IAS Further Maths. Would this be a problem if I have to cash it in?
Reply 42
Original post by daylight08
Okay umm.. My statement of entry shows that my Further Maths and Decision Maths is IAL unit type... But I would like to cash in it as IAS Further Maths. Would this be a problem if I have to cash it in?

You can only cash-in a qualification when you have entered for all the units for it but if the units you are taking are an allowable combination for AS FM then you should be fine.
Original post by EOData
You can only cash-in a qualification when you have entered for all the units for it but if the units you are taking are an allowable combination for AS FM then you should be fine.

Awesome! Thank youu:smile:
Original post by EOData

The flexibility that was lost when they changed England A-levels to a linear structure. However, this change reduced the amount of resits.
Do you think universities might lower their offers as a result of seeing candidates do their exams privately (self-taught) rather than through a school?

It can help me decide whether I should just self-teach myself A-levels quicker than going to a sixth form.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 46
Original post by justlearning1469
The flexibility that was lost when they changed England A-levels to a linear structure. However, this change reduced the amount of resits.

Sure, but people no longer re-sitting early units 4 times (as used to happen when the UK had 2 exam seasons a year) has to be a good thing. There was a GCSE science spec with 8 units per GCSE and 3 chances to take the exams annually. As quite a few students started in Year 9 they could - and did attempt some units up to 9 times. As one student said 'It's mutli-guess miss. I'm bound to strike lucky eventually'.
Original post by cabava
This is a thread for any A-level private candidates sitting their A levels in 2022!

Everyone introduce themselves and say what A levels they´re doing. I´ll start:

Hi, my name´s Helena and I´m doing Business Studies, Law and Psychology:smile:

Hi,
I am Hanna and doing my A2 levels for CIE Business, Law and Economics :smile:
Hey guys! If you feel like exams should be cancelled for 2022 plz sign the petition Due to the lack of support from online learning during the closure of all schools in the UK, many students don't have sufficient education to undertake these exams without severe psychological distress. In addition to this, the majority of educational establishments in the UK didn't have the capacity needs to supply education from a remote learning environment. The overall causality will be a huge amount of failing students who will not be able to apply to university or find a proper career.

here is the link: https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/597282
Reply 49
Hi, my name's Tom and I am doing Business independently in my gap year.

I was looking through the specification and realised that there is pre-released material for paper 3 every year. I can't access this as I dont have a teacher and you need a teacher's pearson account to open the PDF of the material and some of the past papers. I was just wondering if anyone could provide the pre-released paper 3 content or give suggestions as to how I can access the materials that are padlocked on pearson.
Original post by TomR4
Hi, my name's Tom and I am doing Business independently in my gap year.

I was looking through the specification and realised that there is pre-released material for paper 3 every year. I can't access this as I dont have a teacher and you need a teacher's pearson account to open the PDF of the material and some of the past papers. I was just wondering if anyone could provide the pre-released paper 3 content or give suggestions as to how I can access the materials that are padlocked on pearson.

Hi Tom, which specification are you doing? I sat A level Business Edexcel in autumn 2021 and got an A* so if you need any tips// advice I'd love to help ! :smile:
Reply 51
Original post by aliaa03
Hi Tom, which specification are you doing? I sat A level Business Edexcel in autumn 2021 and got an A* so if you need any tips// advice I'd love to help ! :smile:

Hi, I'm also doing Edexcel. It would be great if you have any general tips or revision methods/online materials that would help. I need an A to get into my first choice university so any advice as to how I could get into the A/A* bracket would be really appreciated :smile:
Okay so I am going to give my IAL exam papers from October 2021 for remarking... I was going through their document online and can someone explain to me what do they mean by: "You will not be charged"
a) ...if an overall grade has been issued for the qualification and this is changed as a result of a clerical check or a review of marking
b) ...if an overall grade has not been issued for the qualification and a unit grade changes as a result of a clerical check or a review of marking

(I have gotten my unit grade (the grade for the paper I've written). I have not cashed in my grades yet)
Thanks
Reply 53
Original post by daylight08
Okay so I am going to give my IAL exam papers from October 2021 for remarking... I was going through their document online and can someone explain to me what do they mean by: "You will not be charged"
a) ...if an overall grade has been issued for the qualification and this is changed as a result of a clerical check or a review of marking
b) ...if an overall grade has not been issued for the qualification and a unit grade changes as a result of a clerical check or a review of marking

(I have gotten my unit grade (the grade for the paper I've written). I have not cashed in my grades yet)
Thanks

a) doesn't apply because you're not cashed in, b) does. If you have a paper where the unit grade changes then they refund the review cost.
As an example.

Paper 1: 51, d. You have it reviewed and it goes up to 59, d. You do not get a refund as the unit grade has not changed.
Paper 2, 69, b. You have it reviewed and it goes up to 70, a. You get a refund as the unit grade has changed.
Reply 54
Hello, my name is Josh and I am taking Economics, Ancient history, and English literature this summer.
Original post by Wojak
Hello, my name is Josh and I am taking Economics, Ancient history, and English literature this summer.

epic username
How are we accessing the advance subject topics for our A Levels?
Reply 57
Original post by VS1707
How are we accessing the advance subject topics for our A Levels?

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/open-letters-arrangements-for-gcses-as-and-a-levels-in-2022/letter-to-private-candidates says your exam centre should tell you and they will be available by 7 February on exam board websites
Original post by bulbethaur
Hi guys lol can any of you guys give me some advice? I want to take 3 A levels this year at a distance learning provider (probably psychology, sociology and philosophy or religious studies). I'm wondering if anyone has some good suggestions on good providers? Also, are private exams still going ahead and stuff? can you get funding for an online course? Sorry to bombard you guys lol I've actually done my A levels once before but I got DDE and spent 3 years at uni. Now I want to switch my career path but my ucas points are low and I'm unlikely to get accepted anywhere (I did a foundation year the first time but I only have 3 years of funding left so I can't afford to do another one).

I'm studying with CloudLearn and they have been fantastic! Thoroughly helpful from start to finish, they reply to any queries within 24 hours and they have a wonderful team!
Reply 59
Hi,

So i am taking A level Biology, Chemistry, and Maths as a private candidate this Summer. I am learning all the content my self, and i procrastinate from time to time, which really takes me a lot longer to get things done. I feel a lot of anxiety, about failing, other people being better than me and more prepared, i am idealing aiming for A*AA or more. Last month i.e. January i did no work what so ever, and i am really behind now. I figuered that things would be alot easier if i connect with somebody who is also in the same situation, which would make the process easier, and we could revise and motivate each other from time to time. I would be really really glad if somebody contacts me. Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest