The Student Room Group

Would I be able to learn 1900pages of A level maths & FM content in 4 months?

So I've done my research and for the edexcel textbooks for A level Maths & FM, I'd have to learn about 1900 pages. I have exams 141 days. I want about a month to do past papers. So 1900/111 days = 17 pages a day on the textbook on avg if I want to learn all content.

I am doing 10 sessions of 1 hour study every day. learning 17 pages = 1&1/2pages/per hour.

Obviously this is going to vary depending on the content but I'm thinking it shouldn't vary drastically. Users of TSR what y'all think. Is this realistic?

Anyone found content in maths/FM that took them days/weeks to learn?
(edited 2 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I can’t speak for further maths but I learnt all of A-level maths in about 2-3 months, but practice itself took a lot longer to perfect. I also can’t speak for how quick you learn or if you have even completed AS maths yet to understand the foundation of some topics that are in A2 maths.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by CaptainDuckie
I can’t speak for further maths but I learnt all of A-level maths in about 2-3 months, but practice itself took a lot longer to perfect. I also can’t speak for how quick you learn or if you have even completed AS maths yet to understand the foundation of some topics that are in A2 maths.

No I haven't learn AS yet. When you say A level in 2-3 months do you mean A1&A2 or just A2?
Also how many hours of work did you do a day to do it in 2-3months?
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 3
very doable I would first finish A2 maths, complete load of A Level maths past papers (have a look at naiker maths), and then move onto FM. Gives you a better foundation I think
Original post by 1001firename
No I haven't learn AS yet. When you say A level in 2-3 months do you mean A1&A2 or just A2?
Also how many hours of work did you do a day to do it in 2-3months?

I mean A2 maths, and I did around 1-2 a day. I say not doing AS maths puts you at a disadvantage when it comes to finishing all the content quickly, it might take you a little longer to grasp understanding.

However, I know that some schools do both A2/AS maths simultaneously so it might be worthwhile doing the same.
Original post by CaptainDuckie
I mean A2 maths, and I did around 1-2 a day. I say not doing AS maths puts you at a disadvantage when it comes to finishing all the content quickly, it might take you a little longer to grasp understanding.

However, I know that some schools do both A2/AS maths simultaneously so it might be worthwhile doing the same.

Yeah the op is referring to the entire A level for both A levels. so learn all of AS & A level Maths, learn al of AS & A level FM
Original post by Cs115
very doable I would first finish A2 maths, complete load of A Level maths past papers (have a look at naiker maths), and then move onto FM. Gives you a better foundation I think

Ok thans for the advice. Just to confirm as someone else was confused by my post I think (Im planning on learning the entire of AS & A level content for both A levels as I want to sit the exams in June 2022) thanks
So I've done my research and for the edexcel textbooks for A level Maths & FM, I'd have to learn about 1900 pages. I have exams 141 days. I want about a month to do past papers. So 1900/111 days = 17 pages a day on the textbook on avg if I want to learn all content.

I am doing 10 sessions of 1 hour study every day. learning 17 pages = 1&1/2pages/per hour.

Obviously this is going to vary depending on the content but I'm thinking it shouldn't vary drastically. Users of TSR what y'all think. Is this realistic?

If you actually want to do well in the exams, then it's not realistic unless there's some reason to think you're exceptionally talented at mathematics.

The Maths A-levels are really tests of "skill" not knowledge. It takes time to develop the skill. If you try and rush through it, you're going to "finish" a chapter and find you don't actually understand it - this is particularly true if you're thinking you can study 10 hours a day, 7 days a week for 16 weeks.

People replying on TSR will tend to say "yes, I did ...", but you're self-selecting to get replies from the exceptionally talented; very few people are going to want to post and say "no, I could never have done that". People also tend to delude themselves into "well, I *could* have done it that fast if I'd wanted to" - they're basically looking at where they are *now*, and thinking "how long would it take to cover the material?", neglecting that they've now developed the necessary skill.
Agreed with the above ^^
Also surely quite a lot of the pages are filled with questions etc and not the actual content, so realistically you probably have far fewer pages to read than you think
Original post by flaurie
Agreed with the above ^^
Also surely quite a lot of the pages are filled with questions etc and not the actual content, so realistically you probably have far fewer pages to read than you think

Yes and no. The actual content for the A-levels is going to be well under a thousand pages (under 100 if you reduced the actual "teaching" to a minimum and just had the material), but if you don't do the questions, you're not going to develop skill + understanding (mathematics cannot be learned passively, you have to *do* it).

But that they've "done their research" and think this is the way to calculate the work required doesn't bode well, and was in part why I felt it best to apply a dose of realism.
Original post by DFranklin
Yes and no. The actual content for the A-levels is going to be well under a thousand pages (under 100 if you reduced the actual "teaching" to a minimum and just had the material), but if you don't do the questions, you're not going to develop skill + understanding (mathematics cannot be learned passively, you have to *do* it).

But that they've "done their research" and think this is the way to calculate the work required doesn't bode well, and was in part why I felt it best to apply a dose of realism.

I get what you mean by developing the skill as well as knowledge realistically is unlikely to result in a high result for the subjects. However if I was to sustain that level of study everyday (10 hours) surely about 2 months & a half for each subject is enough to learn skill aswell.

I'm just a little confused because you said that actual material is under 100 pages so wouldn't the rest be practice on what you learnt (aka skill)?
(edited 2 years ago)
I get what you mean by developing the skill as well as knowledge realistically is unlikely to result in a high result for the subjects. However if I was to sustain that level of study everyday (10 hours) surely about 2 months & a half for each subject is enough to learn skill aswell.
It's not enough time unless you're a *well* above average A-level student.

Just as a bit of common sense, the typical A-level student does 3 A-levels over 2 years (and gets something like C grades). So 2 A-levels over 4 months is going to be something like 3-4 times faster than average.

I also can't help noticing that you asked a very similar question 3 weeks ago, and it doesn't look like you've actually progressed at all. By now you should be 20% through the syllabus if you were going to pull this off...

I'm just a little confused because you said that actual material is under 100 pages so wouldn't the rest be practice on what you learnt (aka skill)?I said the actual material is under 100 pages if you got rid of nearly all the actual teaching. Good luck with self-teaching on that basis.

You won't be able to cover all the content and learn to apply the techniques by exams this year,

What grade did you get at GCSE? Have you done any Maths since?
Original post by DFranklin
It's not enough time unless you're a *well* above average A-level student.

Just as a bit of common sense, the typical A-level student does 3 A-levels over 2 years (and gets something like C grades). So 2 A-levels over 4 months is going to be something like 3-4 times faster than average.

I also can't help noticing that you asked a very similar question 3 weeks ago, and it doesn't look like you've actually progressed at all. By now you should be 20% through the syllabus if you were going to pull this off...

I said the actual material is under 100 pages if you got rid of nearly all the actual teaching. Good luck with self-teaching on that basis.

What is your opinion on doing just A level maths in 4-5months
Original post by Muttley79
You won't be able to cover all the content and learn to apply the techniques by exams this year,

What grade did you get at GCSE? Have you done any Maths since?

Could you answer the two questions?
8. Yes half of my cs foundation year is a level maths
Original post by Muttley79
Could you answer the two questions?

Could you answer my question?

Have you left time for revision of other subjects, exam practice, hobbies, breaks etc. ?

Also, have you had a look at YT (e.g. Haberdasher's etc.)? Might save some time :smile:
(edited 2 years ago)
Could you answer my question?

I can't until you let me know what GCSE grade you got and how much Maths you've done since GCSE and when that was.

Quick Reply