The Student Room Group

Epq questions help

Hello, I’ve come up with the question “To what extent can the Israeli Palestinian conflict be compared to South Africa’s Apartheid?” and would just like some feedback. Do you think this would be too controversial of a question or be too big a topic. Thanks :smile:
Reply 1
I think it is too broad. You could narrow it or change it. You only have 5000 words and the introduction, conclusion and abstract could all take around 1000 in total.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by ChaletSA
Hello, I’ve come up with the question “To what extent can the Israeli Palestinian conflict be compared to South Africa’s Apartheid?” and would just like some feedback. Do you think this would be too controversial of a question or be too big a topic. Thanks :smile:

In terms of what?
I'd agree with the above post that it's a broad question. What exactly do you want to discuss? What comparisons do you have in mind?
Reply 3
Original post by KA_P
In terms of what?
I'd agree with the above post that it's a broad question. What exactly do you want to discuss? What comparisons do you have in mind?

I was thinking maybe in terms of the oppressions of Palestinians that’s written into law and compare that to the ones for coloured South Africans. A comparison of the restricted travel and areas designated for living maybe.
I was thinking maybe in terms of the oppressions of Palestinians that’s written into law and compare that to the ones for coloured South Africans. A comparison of the restricted travel and areas designated for living maybe.

Okay, the next question is whether you have sufficient access to sources. Do you have enough sources to refer back to and research?

Spoiler

Reply 5
From an initial search I think there’d be loads of research papers on the topic, so i think I’d be able to make it work :smile:
Reply 6
Here's some ideas. You could narrow it down and pose it as a question that you can answer yes or no to. Bring in higher level analysis. It would be good to have two different sides to the question if possible. Try and show a bit of original thinking if you can and don't have too much description. Be careful not to plagiarise. Try and show and record a change in deciding on the title and reasons for the change. Do your log in lots of relevant, regular detail. For example, record your thinking here (through the process of this thread) and how you developed your ideas and considered the issues raised. Plan a bit of your own primary research (though you don't technically have to) but try and keep it simple so it takes less time.
Start recording dates when you access a source as you will need it if you Harvard reference.
Have a simple time management tool like a gantt chart you can attach as an appendix.
You will need to do a literature review. It is good to have a variety of sources. You will need to evaluate them and look at their reliability, for example. If you do AQA, there is a good EPQ AQA book you can get if you can afford to buy it which helps you understand the different stages of the EPQ.
This is a good link to a free online course which someone here recommends and it is very useful. You can record in your log when you do it and record conclusions, etc.
https://go.skimresources.com/?id=6367X1538160&isjs=1&jv=15.2.2-stackpath&sref=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.thestudentroom.co.uk%2Fshowthread.php%3Fp%3D96515983%26highlight%3DFuturelearn&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.futurelearn.com%2Fcourses%2Fepq-success%2F19&xs=1&xtz=0&xuuid=90aa03b19867ee827475c08d3b0636c9&xjsf=other_click__contextmenu%20%5B-1%5D
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Cote1
Here's some ideas. You could narrow it down and pose it as a question that you can answer yes or no to. Bring in higher level analysis. It would be good to have two different sides to the question if possible. Try and show a bit of original thinking if you can and don't have too much description. Be careful not to plagiarise. Try and show and record a change in deciding on the title and reasons for the change. Do your log in lots of relevant, regular detail. For example, record your thinking here (through the process of this thread) and how you developed your ideas and considered the issues raised. Plan a bit of your own primary research (though you don't technically have to) but try and keep it simple so it takes less time.
Start recording dates when you access a source as you will need it if you Harvard reference.
Have a simple time management tool like a gantt chart you can attach as an appendix.
You will need to do a literature review. It is good to have a variety of sources. You will need to evaluate them and look at their reliability, for example. If you do AQA, there is a good EPQ AQA book you can get if you can afford to buy it which helps you understand the different stages of the EPQ.
This is a good link to a free online course which someone here recommends and it is very useful. You can record in your log when you do it and record conclusions, etc.
https://go.skimresources.com/?id=6367X1538160&isjs=1&jv=15.2.2-stackpath&sref=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.thestudentroom.co.uk%2Fshowthread.php%3Fp%3D96515983%26highlight%3DFuturelearn&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.futurelearn.com%2Fcourses%2Fepq-success%2F19&xs=1&xtz=0&xuuid=90aa03b19867ee827475c08d3b0636c9&xjsf=other_click__contextmenu%20%5B-1%5D

Thank you 😊
From an initial search I think there’d be loads of research papers on the topic, so i think I’d be able to make it work :smile:

That's great :biggrin:

I'd advise you not use the outdated term of "coloured"
That is a great topic. I don’t think it’s too broad because an EPQ is really what you decide it to be. If you set clear criteria for measuring the similarities in the intro, then it shouldn’t be an issue
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by AmIReallyHere
I'd advise you not use the outdated term of "coloured"

The term “coloured” refers to a specific ethnic group in South Africa (Cape coloured/cape Malay), not to be confused with the word when used in other English speaking countries to refer to black people
Original post by CuriousO
The term “coloured” refers to a specific ethnic group in South Africa (Cape coloured/cape Malay), not to be confused with the word when used in other English speaking countries to refer to black people

Ah, apologies for my confusion :colondollar:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending