The Student Room Group

what happens if I miss the UCAS deadline

so I'm already at university but I hate my course so much that I had to take an interruption due to mental health issues. I am now currently looking for other courses/ unis but its taking me so long because I have no idea what I want to do. the UCAS deadline is fast approaching and I know I won't be able to make a new application on time so what do I do? I still want to go to a good uni

Scroll to see replies

Transfers work a little differently. Have a look into that
Reply 2
Original post by WantBeAnonymous
Transfers work a little differently. Have a look into that

I wouldn't be transferring I would be starting a new degree from the beginning
Most courses at top Unis and all competive courses will close after 26 Jan = no more applications.

After that it will only be the less popular subjects (ie. obscure subjects and langauge course etc etc ) and most 'UCAS points' Unis that will still be accepting applications, and even those can close at any point.

So, if you want to go to a sensible Uni, you wiil probably need to get your application together very quickly.
Reply 4
Original post by Rdz
so I'm already at university but I hate my course so much that I had to take an interruption due to mental health issues. I am now currently looking for other courses/ unis but its taking me so long because I have no idea what I want to do. the UCAS deadline is fast approaching and I know I won't be able to make a new application on time so what do I do? I still want to go to a good uni

After the 26th, unis are not required to give you equal consideration, so most competitive courses/unis probably won't consider your application at all.

If you're certain that you hate your currant course, then I advise that you drop out now, so as to stop wasting your time, and so you don't pay any more than you have to on tuition.

Honestly, if you have no idea what you want to do, I seriously doubt you can put together a good enough application in time to get in anywhere, and even if you were to get in, I would worry that you hadn't put sufficient thought into the decision, so may well find yourself in the same position a year from now. If I were you, I would drop out of uni, and spend the next nine months or so deciding what you do want to do. That way, you will be able to put together a decent application for 2023 entry, and hopefully get into a course you will enjoy at a good uni. But I don't think rushing into anything is a good idea.
Reply 5
Original post by Zuvio
After the 26th, unis are not required to give you equal consideration, so most competitive courses/unis probably won't consider your application at all.

If you're certain that you hate your currant course, then I advise that you drop out now, so as to stop wasting your time, and so you don't pay any more than you have to on tuition.

Honestly, if you have no idea what you want to do, I seriously doubt you can put together a good enough application in time to get in anywhere, and even if you were to get in, I would worry that you hadn't put sufficient thought into the decision, so may well find yourself in the same position a year from now. If I were you, I would drop out of uni, and spend the next nine months or so deciding what you do want to do. That way, you will be able to put together a decent application for 2023 entry, and hopefully get into a course you will enjoy at a good uni. But I don't think rushing into anything is a good idea.

the thing is I don't think there is any course out there that I will ever enjoy. So I can't just keep delaying it because It wont be any differnt for 2023 entry. TBH i just want to do something thats easy. previously i've been putting immense pressure on myself to go to a high ranjking uni and do an employable degree but now I relise theres more to uni than careers and I just want to enjoy my time as much as possible, so i want to do a degree that isn't too challenging
Don't go to Uni just because you cant think of anything else to do, or because you think it'll be 'a bit of a doss for three years', Any degree is hard work - and if it isnt, then its not worth spending £65k+ on.

Take some time out, get a job (any job) and think about what you really do want to do with your life.
Original post by Rdz

Depends very much how competitive the course is that you want to do? Unless you are applying to an extremely competive uni like for example the top London unis, you may well still be o.k. As an example, my son applied for History degrees at 5 good but not ultra competitive unis (Birmingham, Cardiff, Exeter, Leeds & Royal Holloway) around Easter a few years back (with achieved grades) and he still got 5 offers. Then again, History is not as competitive as some other subjects so it depends.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by harrysbar
Depends very much how competitive the course is that you want to do? Unless you are applying to an extremely competive uni like for example the top London unis, you may well still be o.k. As an example, my son applied for History degrees at 5 good but not ultra competitive unis (Birmingham, Cardiff, Exeter, Leeds & Royal Holloway) around Easter a few years back (with achieved grades) and he still got 5 offers. Then again, History is not as competitive as some other subjects so it depends.

I am currently enrolled at one of the top London unis but I don't think I want to stay here. As I have never been an academic person, do you think somehwere like exeter would be easier in terms of the academics? where did your son end up going
Original post by Rdz
I am currently enrolled at one of the top London unis but I don't think I want to stay here. As I have never been an academic person, do you think somehwere like exeter would be easier in terms of the academics? where did your son end up going

If you are feeling like it is too much, how about taking a year out? Have you spoken to your tutors about how you feel?
If you weren't good enough or academic, they wouldn't have admitted you!
Reply 10
Original post by booklover1313
If you are feeling like it is too much, how about taking a year out? Have you spoken to your tutors about how you feel?
If you weren't good enough or academic, they wouldn't have admitted you!

I am on an interruption year currently and already took a break before then. I left sixth form in March 2020, didn't even sit my A levels, my grades given to me were predicted grades and I went to a high achieving school so I feel they inflated my grades because I hardly revised at all during the 1.5 years I was at sixth form. I also feel like having thiese huge gaps in my education are making it even worse and I feel like i've completley messed up my whole life. I have panic attacks daily thinking about going back to the same course next year and I really want to change my course I just have no idea what to change it to
Original post by Rdz
I am on an interruption year currently and already took a break before then. I left sixth form in March 2020, didn't even sit my A levels, my grades given to me were predicted grades and I went to a high achieving school so I feel they inflated my grades because I hardly revised at all during the 1.5 years I was at sixth form. I also feel like having thiese huge gaps in my education are making it even worse and I feel like i've completley messed up my whole life. I have panic attacks daily thinking about going back to the same course next year and I really want to change my course I just have no idea what to change it to

You absolutely haven't messed up your whole life, and there's no point using up your student loan on a randomly chosen degree that you're just guessing you might tolerate! It sounds like you'd be best off taking a year or two out to work out what you actually want to do, get a job, save up some money, do some volunteering/work experience, and explore potential areas of interest to find out more what they're about. You've presumably got a good set of A levels (regardless of whether you feel you deserved them), so your options are probably pretty open, you just need to calm down and give yourself the time to explore them without the pressure of "I should be at university because that's what I've been told you're meant to do next".

I left first year at a uni in January 2019, and was very much considering rushing into another application like you are. In the end I realised it was much more important to be sure, so I took the year out to gain experience and do more research, and I've started again in September 2021 on a course at a uni that is much more suited to me, and with a much better idea of what I want to do with my life. Sure I'm a few years "behind" where I expected to be, but I'm in a much stronger position than I would have been otherwise :smile:
If you don't think there is a course you will enjoy and you're not interested in academic work for its own sake, I'd suggest you save yourself a small fortune and don't go to university at all. Not now, at least. You can always change your mind in a few years and go as a mature student.
I'm not particularly a very academic person however I am really enjoying my current course which is 100% coursework

Although no degree is 'easy', I think doing something that you really enjoy and something that you don't have to "revise" for is a really good option for people like myself who don't know what they want to do.

But as mentioned, University is pointless if you're not going to make the most of it, I actually wouldn't suggest applying unless you know what you enjoy. Take another year out if you have to, there are much more options than universities and jobs.
Reply 14
Original post by Interea
You absolutely haven't messed up your whole life, and there's no point using up your student loan on a randomly chosen degree that you're just guessing you might tolerate! It sounds like you'd be best off taking a year or two out to work out what you actually want to do, get a job, save up some money, do some volunteering/work experience, and explore potential areas of interest to find out more what they're about. You've presumably got a good set of A levels (regardless of whether you feel you deserved them), so your options are probably pretty open, you just need to calm down and give yourself the time to explore them without the pressure of "I should be at university because that's what I've been told you're meant to do next".

I left first year at a uni in January 2019, and was very much considering rushing into another application like you are. In the end I realised it was much more important to be sure, so I took the year out to gain experience and do more research, and I've started again in September 2021 on a course at a uni that is much more suited to me, and with a much better idea of what I want to do with my life. Sure I'm a few years "behind" where I expected to be, but I'm in a much stronger position than I would have been otherwise :smile:

what course did you end up on?
Reply 15
Original post by Jonathanツ
I'm not particularly a very academic person however I am really enjoying my current course which is 100% coursework

Although no degree is 'easy', I think doing something that you really enjoy and something that you don't have to "revise" for is a really good option for people like myself who don't know what they want to do.

But as mentioned, University is pointless if you're not going to make the most of it, I actually wouldn't suggest applying unless you know what you enjoy. Take another year out if you have to, there are much more options than universities and jobs.

what course are you on
Original post by Rdz
what course did you end up on?

I'm doing maths at Warwick now - I didn't actually change subject like you want to, but this course is entirely different in pace and environment to my old one, so it works a lot better for me! :smile:
Reply 17
Original post by Interea
I'm doing maths at Warwick now - I didn't actually change subject like you want to, but this course is entirely different in pace and environment to my old one, so it works a lot better for me! :smile:

I'm also thinking about changing my uni as well. The one I'm currently at is so fast paced and very intense I just couldn't cope at all. I jhust have no idea how to go about finding the perfect uni and the perfect course and i'm running out of time i'm just so panicked right now
Original post by Rdz
I'm also thinking about changing my uni as well. The one I'm currently at is so fast paced and very intense I just couldn't cope at all. I jhust have no idea how to go about finding the perfect uni and the perfect course and i'm running out of time i'm just so panicked right now

That's another benefit to taking some more time out, it gives you a lot of time to research and visit universities instead of making an impulsive decision. It's probably easier to find a course/area of study you like and then choose from the unis that offer it, but when you do you can use your current experience to help narrow down options. For example, from my old uni I knew that I liked campus universities and wanted a more intense course, so I was able to quickly rule out a bunch of city universities and narrow down the courses I was looking at. Through extra research in my time out of uni, I also knew which modules I was most interested in, so was able to make a really informed decision this time around.

Obviously taking at least another year out is a big decision, but it really sounds like it would be the best option for you. It will instantly save you all of this panic and give you a really good chance to find something you actually want to do.
Reply 19
Original post by Interea
That's another benefit to taking some more time out, it gives you a lot of time to research and visit universities instead of making an impulsive decision. It's probably easier to find a course/area of study you like and then choose from the unis that offer it, but when you do you can use your current experience to help narrow down options. For example, from my old uni I knew that I liked campus universities and wanted a more intense course, so I was able to quickly rule out a bunch of city universities and narrow down the courses I was looking at. Through extra research in my time out of uni, I also knew which modules I was most interested in, so was able to make a really informed decision this time around.

Obviously taking at least another year out is a big decision, but it really sounds like it would be the best option for you. It will instantly save you all of this panic and give you a really good chance to find something you actually want to do.

how did you reapply? did you go through your old sixth form? I'm not sure they would even help me at this point as its been nearly 2 years since i left

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending