The Student Room Group

Alevels for finance.

I wanna do investment banking in the future.
And I wanna go Imperial or Kings.. (maybe UCL but not rly altho I'd be glad to get in)

I've checked their requirements and Imperial wants further Maths Alevel. While the others "recommend" it.
Can I get in with Physics, maths, Psych.
Or Chem, maths, psych.
Original post by lamia_bts
And I wanna go Imperial or Kings.. (maybe UCL but not rly altho I'd be glad to get in)

I've checked their requirements and Imperial wants further Maths Alevel. While the others "recommend" it.
Or Chem, maths, psych.

Probably but I can only assume it will be much more difficult to get a place without further as it is a very competetive university in addition.
Reply 2
What course would you study at university?
Reply 3
Original post by ajj2000
What course would you study at university?

😭😭😭AAAAA i hate dis question bcs I just killed my brain by thinking about dis the other day...
OK so sadly Imperial doesn't seem to have a direct course for Finance. Which I'm mad about. They seem to have like Mangament or something..
And Dat sounds so btec and I'm not rly curious about "mangament"
BUT the simple solution would be to not apply there right?
But then ik banks do care about the kind of uni u came from.
Ik there r several other top unis.. But my mind was DEAD set on Imperial... Just to find they don't do finance.
Reply 4
😭😭😭AAAAA i hate dis question bcs I just killed my brain by thinking about dis the other day...
OK so sadly Imperial doesn't seem to have a direct course for Finance. Which I'm mad about. They seem to have like Mangament or something..
And Dat sounds so btec and I'm not rly curious about "mangament"
BUT the simple solution would be to not apply there right?
But then ik banks do care about the kind of uni u came from.
Ik there r several other top unis.. But my mind was DEAD set on Imperial... Just to find they don't do finance.

not many English universities do proper 'finance courses'. Only LSE springs to mind. Not many UK banks particularly look for finance graduates.
Reply 5
Original post by ajj2000
not many English universities do proper 'finance courses'. Only LSE springs to mind. Not many UK banks particularly look for finance graduates.

OH.. Then do u know wat kind of graduates they prefer... Or is it not heavily based on the degree..?
Reply 6
OH.. Then do u know wat kind of graduates they prefer... Or is it not heavily based on the degree..?

They literally don’t care about your degree.. you could study geography and go into IB. The uni is more important. Study what you’d enjoy
Reply 7

best to read posts on the IB/finance forum. Lots of people will say that course isnt so important but going to a target university is. Others will suggest that maths/ mathematical sciences including the stronger economics degrees would give a better chance.

Or Chem, maths, psych.

If you want to go into IB stay away from KCL. outside of Oxbridge, LSE/ICL/UCL/WW. In that order.

I'd say definitely take A-Level maths if you can do well as math-intensive STEM (Phys, Chem, Engineering, Maths)/Econ degrees are overrepresented (would not recommend pure biology however unless at oxbridge).
Reply 9
Original post by ajj2000

so would one be able to get into lse bsc finance with an a* in a level math but no a level further math...
Original post by imaadi
so would one be able to get into lse bsc finance with an a* in a level math but no a level further math...

I think it might depend on whether your school offer further maths. Their website states:

'Further Mathematics at A-level is also desirable, and is acceptable for entry in combination with Mathematics and one other A-level. We understand however that not everyone has the opportunity to follow a Further Mathematics programme, and you will not be disadvantaged because of this. Therefore it is helpful if you and/or your referees can indicate whether or not your school or college offers Further Mathematics classes.'
Reply 11
Original post by ajj2000
I think it might depend on whether your school offer further maths. Their website states:

'Further Mathematics at A-level is also desirable, and is acceptable for entry in combination with Mathematics and one other A-level. We understand however that not everyone has the opportunity to follow a Further Mathematics programme, and you will not be disadvantaged because of this. Therefore it is helpful if you and/or your referees can indicate whether or not your school or college offers Further Mathematics classes.'

my school does offer further math, but i made the stupid mistake not to take it...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending