The Student Room Group

*MEGATHREAD* Medicine A-Level subjects queries UPDATED for 2022 entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MaryZed
Hey.
So I'm in year 11 and I'm thinking of taking Biology, Chemistry, and Physics for A level because I want to study medicine.
However, I have heard that taking physics for a level without maths is not a good idea.
I am quite strong with maths (predicted a 9 for GCSE) so I am wondering if it would still be as tough.

There is a A Level Medicine thread put you query on there (Im on my phone so cant share the link). Physics without maths is possible, but very hard because calculus is so integral (pun intended) to physics. The student got a C I believe which isnt good enough for medicine but that is only a sample size of 1 so...
Original post by MaryZed
Hey.
So I'm in year 11 and I'm thinking of taking Biology, Chemistry, and Physics for A level because I want to study medicine.
However, I have heard that taking physics for a level without maths is not a good idea.
I am quite strong with maths (predicted a 9 for GCSE) so I am wondering if it would still be as tough.

The subjects you have chosen are fine for medicine.
If you wanted to do anything such as engineering, physics etc at uni, then both physics and maths would be advisable. But for medicine you should be fine.
It's fine, although pointless by and large. A-level Physics isn't required to study medicine, and in fact only one medical school in the UK requires your third subject be a STEM subject (assuming you are taking biology and chemistry), and doing physics confers no particular benefit for any of the others. You should read this thread carefully: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5611422

Note also that if you aren't taking A-level Maths as well, you will probably need to spend more time on A-level Physics than someone doing both to keep on top of the requisite mathematical skills. While you won't need any topics from A-level, you will need to be able to use the GCSE topics fluently - someone doing both A-level Maths and A-level Physics will get lots of practice doing that in both courses, which you would then need to fill the gap for. It's really more of a matter of needing to put in more time to practice than you would otherwise, since you aren't getting that practice constantly.
Reply 3263
Original post by MaryZed
Hey.

I think my son who did Chem, Phys, Maths would say that Physics had been useful in his medical degree (St Andrews, so a traditional teaching style). There is a lot of overlap between Physics and Applied Maths, so it is easier if you are doing both and there probably won't be many doing Physics without Maths, but it is definitely possible to do well. Our school likes you do start 4 A levels and drop 1 during Y12 (or after AS) so you could do maths for Y12.
Hi! I am currently an S5 studying the following subjects :
Higher - Maths, English, Chemistry, Biology & Modern Studies

In S6 I will be taking advanced Chemistry, Biology & Modern studies (taking this because I’m likely to do well)

My school also requires me to take a Nat 5 along with these.

Previously I have taken all 3 sciences, maths, English, history & modern at Nat 5.

Any help on what other subject I should be taking that would be useful.
Sorry if this is the wrong forum but I need some advice
I am a studying the following subjects :
Higher - Maths, English, Chemistry, Biology & Modern Studies
Next year I’m taking adv mods, chemistry & biology
My school also requires me to take a Nat 5 along with these.
Any help on what other subject I should be taking that would be useful.

Also any application tips for next year would be useful thanks !
Say if I wanted to become a medical professional(not sure what yet, maybe a GP), could I also specialize in something to do with developing technology to help treat diseases, research about diseases etc. if I don't take Maths at A-level? (in y11 rn) I know the vast majority ask for maths if u want to do biomedical science, which as far as I know is the only course that offers a mix of tech in biology, but after graduation, could I still pursue in research about developing tech that will help treat illness'? Is you're wondering why I don't want to take Maths it's because I'm taking English Lit because I enjoy it, Comp Sci, Bio and Chem and I don't enjoy maths that much.
h

ahh sorry my mistake
What are the chances of top unis like Kings College or UCL to pick someone who did:
Chem, Psych, maths
OR
Phys, maths, psych
As alevels for their medicine course.
😢
Original post by lamia_bts
What are the chances of top unis like Kings College or UCL to pick someone who did:
Chem, Psych, maths
OR
Phys, maths, psych
😢

Original post by hungrysalamander
Read this thread
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5611422
Also, I've already said in another thread that rankings and RG do not matter for medicine, all medical degrees are equally recognised by the GMC and NHS.

Nice try, you can't escape me.
Chem, Psych, maths
OR
Phys, maths, psych
😢

Not sure what ranking you are using to judge these as "top unis" when it comes to medicine?
A good place to start with this would be to check websites for the med schools' entry requirements

https://www.kcl.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/medicine-mbbs
https://www.ucl.ac.uk/medical-school/study/undergraduate/mbbs-admissions/entry-requirements/2022-entry

As you will see, zero chance as those subjects do not meet their requirements.
Nice try, you can't escape me.

Ur everywhere😔😔.... but my question never got answered directly... It makes me feel insecure...
I just checked the Queen Mary requirements for med and u can get in with Chem or Bio and other science OR maths... Which pretty much aligns with my second choice of having to choose Chem, maths, psych as my alevels.

Thx. Altho.. Ik by doing this most of my options to med skools aren't open...
I just checked the Queen Mary requirements for med and u can get in with Chem or Bio and other science OR maths... Which pretty much aligns with my second choice of having to choose Chem, maths, psych as my alevels.

Thx. Altho.. Ik by doing this most of my options to med skools aren't open...

Out of curiousity, why don't you want to take biology? Pre-clinical years for medicine are very biology heavy.
Out of curiousity, why don't you want to take biology? Pre-clinical years for medicine are very biology heavy.

Biology seems very lengthy.. Too much content..
And I'm not dead set on Med... And the fact that I'm not dead set on med makes me even more scared bcs so far everyone talks about how the ppl in med have IMMENSE PASSION and without it you'll basically... Flop..
Reply 3275
Original post by Hamid2468
hi, im in year 11 now and i have to choose my a level subjects. what im thinking is maths , chemistry, biology and further maths. id drop further maths in year 13 but i wna do it cause i could easily get an A and its something i really enjoy.

BUT i have seen and heard that many unis disregard further maths :frown:so pls can anyone help me decide if i should do it or not and propose any alternatives?

I would suggest not to do further maths if you are going to drop it in year 13 anyway as universities won't view this as having that much value since you're dropping it and also 4 subjects is very hard and having 3 to put all your effort into getting grades in is much better. Focus on getting good grades in your 3 subjects instead. My opinion...but final decision is yours. Wishing you luck on your journey : )
Original post by MaryZed
Hey.

Hi ya I’m in Y12,
I have a friend that was also in the same position as you. They disliked maths but were good at it and wants to do medicine and chose Biology Chem and Physics. She loves physics rn and is probably her strongest.
You can definitely do physics without maths!! And without struggling.
Do subjects u like and think you can achieve good grades cuz that’s one of the factors that gets u into medicine!
Biology seems very lengthy.. Too much content..
And I'm not dead set on Med... And the fact that I'm not dead set on med makes me even more scared bcs so far everyone talks about how the ppl in med have IMMENSE PASSION and without it you'll basically... Flop..

I’ll b honest I think everyone who wants to do med has times of questioning and thinking…I think it’s the realisation of commitment, comparison to others, lack of people around you telling you u can do it.
Honestly it’s okay not to be sure rn with time u will figure out even more !
hey everyone,
would u say to do 3 or 4 a levels for medicine, particularly oxbridge?
p.s im not dong epq
i have 3 sciences and 1 non-science
Three is fine, especially if doing 4 puts you at risk of not getting the best three grades you can, due to workloads. It’s better to get A*A*A than A*AAA for example

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending