The Student Room Group

A-Levels For law????

I’m currently in year 11 and I would like to go into a career in law. Unfortunately, however, I cannot choose my a-levels and I’m very conflicted. That being said, I do know that I’m probably taking history.

My predicted grades are:
English Lit - 9
English Lang - 9
History - 9
Religious Studies - 9
French - 9
Maths - 8
Chemistry - 9
Biology - 9
Physics - 8
Drama - 9
Latin - 9

I’ve just had parents evening and my french, english, RS and History teachers have strongly encouraged me to do their subject a-level (my school only does philosophy a-level though not RS)

I’m very conflicted because I enjoy most of my subjects (apart from maths which I don’t hate, I just struggle with.)

I would love to take a science a-level (chemistry probably) but I’m not sure if that would be a good fit.

And should I listen to my teachers? Essay subjects are definitely my strength. My french teacher especially is very hard to impress so I’m very flattered about what she said.

And will maths make me a more competitive candidate?

I am quite stressed as I have a meeting with a senior teacher later this week and I really want to have a clearer picture of what I should take - so if you have any advice, I would love to hear it! :smile:
Reply 1
You can take any A-level subjects to be honest, I did the three sciences and maths - though looking back, I might have done much better in my degree sooner if I took up an essay subject like history or English literature.
Hi there~ I am currently in Year 12 and I want to pursue in Law as well! Looking at your GCSE results, you are more than capable of getting into Oxbridge or any of the Russell Group Universities. I would recommend picking subjects linked closely with Law as some Universities require certain subjects. One of my friends in year 13 wants to do psychology and counselling at University, and wants to get into a Russell group university, but is unable to do so because of their subject choices. I do history, politics and music. I would definitely recommend History and Politics! They are surprisingly heavily connected. Of course, if Politics doesn’t flow your boat, you can pick English language or literature. Any subject that requires critical thinking will be perfect to help you get into law. Science based subjects are also great! I know people who have done Bio, Chem, Maths and wanted to be a doctor, but changed career paths and are now in the legal profession. With law, the possibilities are endless! Don’t stress about it :smile:
Original post by lwbch14
I’m currently in year 11 and I would like to go into a career in law. Unfortunately, however, I cannot choose my a-levels and I’m very conflicted. That being said, I do know that I’m probably taking history.

My predicted grades are:
English Lit - 9
English Lang - 9
History - 9
Religious Studies - 9
French - 9
Maths - 8
Chemistry - 9
Biology - 9
Physics - 8
Drama - 9
Latin - 9

I’ve just had parents evening and my french, english, RS and History teachers have strongly encouraged me to do their subject a-level (my school only does philosophy a-level though not RS)

I’m very conflicted because I enjoy most of my subjects (apart from maths which I don’t hate, I just struggle with.)

I would love to take a science a-level (chemistry probably) but I’m not sure if that would be a good fit.

And should I listen to my teachers? Essay subjects are definitely my strength. My french teacher especially is very hard to impress so I’m very flattered about what she said.

And will maths make me a more competitive candidate?

I am quite stressed as I have a meeting with a senior teacher later this week and I really want to have a clearer picture of what I should take - so if you have any advice, I would love to hear it! :smile:

History, Philosophy and Maths.
Original post by luluthegreat
Hi there~ I am currently in Year 12 and I want to pursue in Law as well! Looking at your GCSE results, you are more than capable of getting into Oxbridge or any of the Russell Group Universities. I would recommend picking subjects linked closely with Law as some Universities require certain subjects. One of my friends in year 13 wants to do psychology and counselling at University, and wants to get into a Russell group university, but is unable to do so because of their subject choices. I do history, politics and music. I would definitely recommend History and Politics! They are surprisingly heavily connected. Of course, if Politics doesn’t flow your boat, you can pick English language or literature. Any subject that requires critical thinking will be perfect to help you get into law. Science based subjects are also great! I know people who have done Bio, Chem, Maths and wanted to be a doctor, but changed career paths and are now in the legal profession. With law, the possibilities are endless! Don’t stress about it :smile:

For Law, universities would rarely require subjects. They would recommend certain ones, and state what ones they don't believe are adequate preparation

Oxbridge don't even say there are any subjects they won't take - apart from the obvious critical thinking and general studies so any A-Level combination would be good.
Reply 5
Original post by wifd149
You can take any A-level subjects to be honest, I did the three sciences and maths - though looking back, I might have done much better in my degree sooner if I took up an essay subject like history or English literature.

Thank you so much! I'll definitely keep this in mind :smile:
Reply 6

This is very kind, thank you! I was considering politics and this is extremely convincing :smile:
I would recommend picking subjects linked closely with Law as some Universities require certain subjects.

This is incorrect - no university has a requirement for certain subjects for law. Please don't post stuff like this without being sure, or researching your answers, lest you unintentionally mislead people.

@lwbch14 - See above.
As said above by others, there are no specific subjects that unis require (although most will not accept general studies and critical thinking), but essay based subjects will prepare you for the degree, and have more directly applicable skills. That being said, dont steer away from science based subjects completely as unis like you to have a range of subjects, not subjects all of the same type if you can help it.
Subjects like english and history have been said to be preferred
I am in year 13, and have just started AS politics alongside my other A levels, and I can say that the content you learn gives you a good basic understanding of some of the stuff you need to know about the legal system, for example devolution and the separation of powers, and therefore has good direct links to law
Reply 9
Original post by AmIReallyHere
Oxbridge don't even say there are any subjects they won't take - apart from the obvious critical thinking and general studies so any A-Level combination would be good.

This will only confuse current applicants as Critical Thinking and General Studies were abolished as A level subjects a few years ago.
Original post by EOData
This will only confuse current applicants as Critical Thinking and General Studies were abolished as A level subjects a few years ago.

Oh :colondollar: I was trying to avoid confusion in case the applicant discounted what I was saying since they saw subjects being excluded when I'd said there weren't any 😂
Reply 11
Original post by AmIReallyHere
Oh :colondollar: I was trying to avoid confusion in case the applicant discounted what I was saying since they saw subjects being excluded when I'd said there weren't any 😂

It's messy but because current students haven't heard of General Studies or Critical Thinking as A level subjects, there have been quite a few who assume they refer to a group of A level subjects and worry because they don't know what those subjects are :smile:
Original post by EOData
It's messy but because current students haven't heard of General Studies or Critical Thinking as A level subjects, there have been quite a few who assume they refer to a group of A level subjects and worry because they don't know what those subjects are :smile:

I'm a current student as well 😂 although I can definitely see how it can be confusing for some, thank you for this!
My recommendation: An essay subject and a science subject, the other one it doesn't really matter as long as it is not specific to a future job (such as construction)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending