The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

imperial computing admission test/ interview

I just had my computing admission test today. for those who received an email for an interview how long did it take? and may I ask also how confident you were when sitting for the test? cause I found it quite challenging
Original post by Anonymous
I just had my computing admission test today. for those who received an email for an interview how long did it take? and may I ask also how confident you were when sitting for the test? cause I found it quite challenging

There were 44 days between me sitting the test (8 Nov) and getting the interview invite (22 Dec), but this depends on many things, and seeing as you have only just done the test today, you will probably hear back in a shorter time. I did not find it hard, but I had to be careful not to make any silly mistakes.
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
I sat the pre-interview test all the way in early November, and received an interview just over a week later. However, I don't think it is too likely that you will be hearing back from them very soon (but I may be completely wrong) - the 26th Jan deadline is soon so they may wait until they get all their applications to proceed further. I also know of quite a few other Imperial applicants who sat the pre-interview test at around the same time as me, but haven't heard anything back.

As for the assessment, I found it fairly challenging and will admit to having to make an educated guess on one of the questions, and like Zelerate I also had to double check at the end to make sure I didn't make any stupid mistakes.
I found it quite challenging tbh, not sure how well I will get on comparing to everyone else. I applied for Maths and CS, so I assume its the same test but it may be slightly different.

On a separate note, I am a bit confused how the actual test is ‘tested’? I could have theoretically done the test in front of my teachers and sat back and let them carry me, how would they know the difference?
Original post by Anonymous
On a separate note, I am a bit confused how the actual test is ‘tested’? I could have theoretically done the test in front of my teachers and sat back and let them carry me, how would they know the difference?

They wouldn't know, which is why imo this test is poorly designed. It would be easy to just cheat, and get an interview while another deserving candidate doesn't get invited (I guess the interview and STEP would filter out the people who could only do the test by cheating).
Original post by Zelerate
They wouldn't know, which is why imo this test is poorly designed. It would be easy to just cheat, and get an interview while another deserving candidate doesn't get invited (I guess the interview and STEP would filter out the people who could only do the test by cheating).

Good thing I didn’t cheat then lol

How did your interview go?
Is it true that all the offers have STEP? Also, how difficult is STEP?
Original post by pavanchauhan
Is it true that all the offers have STEP? Also, how difficult is STEP?

The best way to find out about the difficultly of STEP is to look through past papers. It is probably the most difficult paper you would sit before by Year 13 (unless you made it to BMO2 or IMO, but if you did sit them it should be easy pickings). Whilst they don't explicitly say that all offers include STEP, it is best to prepare for it in advance (and by in advance I mean right now); it is better to be prepared for STEP and not require it (although I think you are basically guaranteed to require it) than to not revise and be screwed if you do get an offer.
Hi sorry, I have no idea what to expect on this test and have it very soon. I know it will of course have a level math, what about computing and programming? I've never done it before and specified, will I be disadvantaged or should I learn some basics?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending