The Student Room Group
Power Station Simulator, University of Strathclyde
University of Strathclyde

Ask a current Strathclyde Student

Hi guys,

I'm currently a third year Graduate Entrant (Scots & English) LLB student at Strathclyde. If you have any questions about university life or would like to know anything law related then feel free to post on this thread or PM me.

Melissa- Strathclyde Rep

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by University of Strathclyde Student Ambassador
Hi guys,

I'm currently a third year Graduate Entrant (Scots & English) LLB student at Strathclyde. If you have any questions about university life or would like to know anything law related then feel free to post on this thread or PM me.

Melissa- Strathclyde Rep

Hi Melissa

I think I remember you saying you done the pre-entry course at Strathclyde is the correct? If so what was your conditions of your offer to study law at undergraduate level? I have received an offer from Glasgow uni but still waiting on Strathclyde I am desperate to know what the conditions roughly are for the LLB. Thanks.
Power Station Simulator, University of Strathclyde
University of Strathclyde
Original post by S-Jac-23
Hi Melissa

I think I remember you saying you done the pre-entry course at Strathclyde is the correct? If so what was your conditions of your offer to study law at undergraduate level? I have received an offer from Glasgow uni but still waiting on Strathclyde I am desperate to know what the conditions roughly are for the LLB. Thanks.

Hi @S-Jac-23,

I did a paralegal course in Family law before starting my LLB and needed to pass that before I got accepted onto the programme. You need 65% to pass the pre-entry course before you gain entry onto the LLB at Strathclyde. Does it say on your UCAS application what the conditions are for obtaining a place? I would give UCAS a call and see what they say. Alternatively you can call undergraduate admissions on: 01415483878 and they'll be able to help you.

If you have any other information about the course or the uni then feel free to send me a message.

Melissa- Student Ambassador
Hi
I'm sure this thread is dead but I'd like to ask how did you cover the cost of tuition fees in order to register with the university? I'm stuck as I need to register and have my attendance confirmed in order to receive my student loan, but I can afford the ~£3000 needed to register
Original post by d.williams28
Hi
I'm sure this thread is dead but I'd like to ask how did you cover the cost of tuition fees in order to register with the university? I'm stuck as I need to register and have my attendance confirmed in order to receive my student loan, but I can afford the ~£3000 needed to register

Apologises, I must have missed this thread @d.williams28

Do you mean the cost of the fees for the two year accelerated LLB?

Hi Melissa , I have recently just turned 31, my daughter is now 14 x so I feel like now is the time to return to studying. I've always imagined , by this point in life I'd be successful, which I am not. It gives me anxiety thinking about my age, should I be contemplating education , am I too old to start a career? I've been out of education for 3 years, but know I have the ability and desire to study Law , however , how grueling is it ? How much work/time will be needed for me to be successful ? Any advice would be appreciated... even advice on how to apply . Thanks in advance . Kirsty x
Hey melissa. I have received an offer letter for Msc in international human resource management from strathclyde and Swansea. So which university will you recommend as I'm super confused. Waiting for your advice .Thanks in advance.
Reply 7
Original post by dnyanadaathavale
Hey melissa. I have received an offer letter for Msc in international human resource management from strathclyde and Swansea. So which university will you recommend as I'm super confused. Waiting for your advice .Thanks in advance.

Hi there,
I am hoping to apply for MSc in HR. Can you I ask what you put in your personal statement? I feel like I'm thinking too much into it and need help!!!
Original post by dnyanadaathavale

Hi @dnyanadaathavale

Apologies for the delay in my response!

Throughout the course of your study, you will take a mixture of core and elective classes. The curriculum for the MSc in International and Human Resource Management offers a good balance between theory and practice. Students will study an introductory HRM course at the beginning of the first semester to prepare them for the core classes throughout the year. This class will cover the main HRM concepts such as the nature of the subject and training and developing in the workforce. A more extensive list can be found at:

https://www.strath.ac.uk/courses/postgraduatetaught/internationalhumanresourcemanagement/#coursecontent

In your second semester, you will submit an integrated dissertation and research report (IDRR) which involves analysis of an HR issue in an organisation. Additionally, you are encouraged to complete an 8-10 week placement in an origination to understand the HR function within this organisation. You will not have any classes on Thursdays and Fridays during your second semester as this time should be used to focus on your IDRR.

Furthermore, the course allows you to work towards a professional membership with the Chartered Institute of Personel and Development (CIPD). This professional body enables you to gain a qualification that is a pre-requisite for any HR role. The MSc is an approved programme that allows you to meet the educational requirements for Associate Member of CIPD (AssocCIPD). You will be required to join the CPD as a student member at the start of your course.

I know this is a lot of information to take in, however should you have any further questions then feel free to send me a message :smile:

(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by rois9358
Hi there,
I am hoping to apply for MSc in HR. Can you I ask what you put in your personal statement? I feel like I'm thinking too much into it and need help!!!

Hi @rois9358

What was your previous degree in? Are there any extracurricular activities that you were involved in outside of university during your undergrad?

Hi @rois9358

What was your previous degree in? Are there any extracurricular activities that you were involved in outside of university during your undergrad?

Hi Melissa,

Thanks for getting back to me. My previous degree was Humanities. I've been out of college now for 4 years. I have worked as admin assistant in the legal and finance sector.Hopefully this is sufficient to get a place. Feeling overwhelmed doing a personal statement. Do you have any tips? Thanks Melissa
Hi Melissa,

Thanks for getting back to me. My previous degree was Humanities. I've been out of college now for 4 years. I have worked as admin assistant in the legal and finance sector.Hopefully this is sufficient to get a place. Feeling overwhelmed doing a personal statement. Do you have any tips? Thanks Melissa

Hi Melissa,

Although you have been out of education for the past four years, you have been working throughout this time and you should use your experiences in your current role to your advantage when writing your personal statement. I would recommend doing some research on the course beforehand and, comparing how your admin roles in the legal and finance sector will benefit you when searching for a graduate role on completion of your MSc.

Similar to my advice provided to @dnyanadaathavale above, I would compare your job experiences to what you are going to be learning in your MSc. For example, the introductory HRM course will introduce you to the main HRM concepts. I would show how your knowledge of training and development in your previous roles are applicable to this core subject.

Again, the IDRR that you need to complete in your second semester, which involves analysing a HR issue in an organisation, you may have come across something similar in your field of work. I would also use this type of experience to your advantage in your personal statement.

I hope this information is useful, if you have any further questions then I’d be happy to answer them :smile:

Hi Melissa,

Although you have been out of education for the past four years, you have been working throughout this time and you should use your experiences in your current role to your advantage when writing your personal statement. I would recommend doing some research on the course beforehand and, comparing how your admin roles in the legal and finance sector will benefit you when searching for a graduate role on completion of your MSc.

Similar to my advice provided to @dnyanadaathavale above, I would compare your job experiences to what you are going to be learning in your MSc. For example, the introductory HRM course will introduce you to the main HRM concepts. I would show how your knowledge of training and development in your previous roles are applicable to this core subject.

Again, the IDRR that you need to complete in your second semester, which involves analysing a HR issue in an organisation, you may have come across something similar in your field of work. I would also use this type of experience to your advantage in your personal statement.

I hope this information is useful, if you have any further questions then I’d be happy to answer them :smile:

Hi Melissa,

Thank you so much your information. It has given me more motivation to get the application started! You're the best!
Reply 13
Hi I was offered today the Dual Qualifying Graduate Entry LLB today, with the proviso that I also ‘apply’ for the Law Clinic! Making it a Clinical DQ LLB!

I am very keen on the idea of getting exposed as quickly as possible to Legal practice and experience!

But I have no idea what is expected of me in the written application? Or the interview if I get that far!

I’d appreciate it if you could give me an idea about the application paper and the interview stage!
Hi Melissa,

Thank you so much your information. It has given me more motivation to get the application started! You're the best!

Hi Melissa,

No problem at all!

Good luck with your application :smile:

Feel free to get in touch at a later date if you think of any questions!

Original post by kleejo85
Hi I was offered today the Dual Qualifying Graduate Entry LLB today, with the proviso that I also ‘apply’ for the Law Clinic! Making it a Clinical DQ LLB!

I am very keen on the idea of getting exposed as quickly as possible to Legal practice and experience!

But I have no idea what is expected of me in the written application? Or the interview if I get that far!

I’d appreciate it if you could give me an idea about the application paper and the interview stage!

Hi @kleejo85,

Congrats, that's very exciting!

It's your decision whether you choose to study on the Grad Ent Dual Qualifying Clinical LLB or the Grad Ent Dual Qualifying LLB. With the former route, you would still study the core law subjects, however, some of your study time would be spent in the Law Clinic in order to gain practical experience. The practical experience you would receive from your involvement in the clinic will definitely benefit you later on in practice. The Dual Qualifying aspect of the LLB would involve studying English law modules during the summer after the first year of your degree.

Do you currently have any legal work experience? Or other volunteering experience? If you do, I would mention this in your application! This will help strengthen your application as you know how a firm runs and this is similar to the type of work you would be involved in in the clinic. I would also recommend doing some research on the clinic. For example, have a look at the projects the clinic is involved in and use your own experiences to demonstrate your knowledge in these areas. Think about the skills and qualities you already have that would help you in the clinic. I would also encourage you to consider why you want to do the Grad Ent Dual Qualifying Clinical LLB rather than the Scots LLB only. Furthermore, why do you want to join the clinic? Think about this question and see if you would be fully prepared to answer this in an interview situation. I would also have a look at the fundraising activities the law clinic is involved in and compare this with any extracurricular fundraising activities you have been involved in.

If you have any other questions, I'd be happy to answer them.

(edited 3 years ago)
hi! I'm a prospective international student from the US and was wondering if anyone can give me some info about the student warden position at the university of Strathclyde? i don't even really know if that's what they're called tbh, I've just heard that it's likened to a resident assistant in the states, and you can get free or discounted accommodation if you apply and get accepted to the position; that's how it works in America, at least. i was looking to apply right off the bat as a first year, but I'm not sure if there's a precedent for that and is offered sophomores+.. any help would be appreciated tho!!!
Original post by L-M-F-n-A-O-m-i
hi! I'm a prospective international student from the US and was wondering if anyone can give me some info about the student warden position at the university of Strathclyde? i don't even really know if that's what they're called tbh, I've just heard that it's likened to a resident assistant in the states, and you can get free or discounted accommodation if you apply and get accepted to the position; that's how it works in America, at least. i was looking to apply right off the bat as a first year, but I'm not sure if there's a precedent for that and is offered sophomores+.. any help would be appreciated tho!!!

Hi!

So we have residence assistants in student halls. Their job is to be available to help student residents with anything halls-related when they're on duty, so it sounds similar to what you know already. In general, they should be experienced in halls (just so they know everything they need to to help) so you would probably wait until at least your second year of halls to apply. It's a weekly-paid position, so instead of getting discounted rent you'd get money which you could obviously put to rent if you wished.

If you are staying in halls and want to get involved, there are accommodation rep positions that are voted for at the start of the year which would let you represent the students in accommodation, and plan events involving them. When I lived in halls that was a first year student, so this is definitely an option for you.

Hope this helps, but if I've missed anything just let me know and I'll get back to you.

Cameron
Student Ambassadr/Software Engineering Student
Does Strathclyde allow you to submit a second personal statement directly to the admissions office?

I'm asking this for people who are applying to very different courses.
Hi guys,

Melissa- Strathclyde Rep

Iam Akhil Mohandas, joined msc engineering management in strathclyde university. I might reach college campus by end of january. Please give some advice regarding accomodation. Is it better to look in campus or outside?

Quick Reply

Latest