The Student Room Group

What would happen I fail my Science GCSE?

I will definitely not pass it. It's not that I'm dumb or lazy but I just really struggle with it. I listen and make notes but I still don't get it. I stick in a paper and the next thing I know they're talking about something different and it makes no sense to me. I try to revise but I quickly lose interest or don't understand at all. Today I had a test out of 42 and I only got a 15.

I know that with jobs you're definitely less likely to get chosen if you don't pass english or maths but what about science? My older sister didn't pass it and now she's in her last year of uni doing psychology, she's also been hired at plenty different of jobs so this has me questioning if science really is that important?

I have no desire to work in anything science related, nurse, doctor, etc. Would it really be that bad?

In conclusion, would it really be that bad I fail my Science GCSE? Sorry for such a long post.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by iWantHelpPlease
I know that with jobs you're definitely less likely to get chosen if you don't pass english or maths but what about science? My older sister didn't pass it and now she's in her last year of uni doing psychology, she's also been hired at plenty different of jobs so this has me questioning if science really is that important?

In conclusion, would it really be that bad I fail my Science GCSE? Sorry for such a long post.

It's not ideal to fail any GCSEs, particularly a 'core' one like science, but it's not the end of the world by any means. As you say, it's not going to help in an job application, but equally it's nowhere near as bad as failing English or maths - which is fairly calamitous. So long as you're not going to be applying for anything science related either academically or jobs-wise, you should be able to manage this failure successfully.

And who knows - you might just scrape a 4. Be positive!
Reply 2
Use science with hazel's notes, they're really good and condensed. Or use physicsandmaths tutors notes on his website, they're amazing. Get the notes and convert them into flashcards.
Original post by Reality Check
It's not ideal to fail any GCSEs, particularly a 'core' one like science, but it's not the end of the world by any means. As you say, it's not going to help in an job application, but equally it's nowhere near as bad as failing English or maths - which is fairly calamitous. So long as you're not going to be applying for anything science related either academically or jobs-wise, you should be able to manage this failure successfully.

And who knows - you might just scrape a 4. Be positive!

Thanks! I'll try really hard to get at least 4 but I just don't see it happening, I'll continue to revise and everything but oh well, if it happens it happens. Nothing else I can do.
Thanks! I'll try really hard to get at least 4 but I just don't see it happening, I'll continue to revise and everything but oh well, if it happens it happens. Nothing else I can do.

I think that's actually a very positive attitude to have. You'll try your best, but if it doesn't happen for one reason or another, you'll manage it and keep moving forwards :smile:
Original post by symptom
Use science with hazel's notes, they're really good and condensed. Or use physicsandmaths tutors notes on his website, they're amazing. Get the notes and convert them into flashcards.

Thank you SO much!!! I've been using Senca Learning but I get too bored with it and give up in the end
Reply 6
Thank you SO much!!! I've been using Senca Learning but I get too bored with it and give up in the end

haha no problem. I would also recommend you learn how to use Anki (flashcard app) as it will literally save your grades! There're a bunch of tutorials youtube.
Reply 7

i got a 9-8 in GCSE combined science and never used seneca. it felt so laborious and boring to go through everything and the tasks.

i made my notes using the CGP guide for my AQA exam board, and then used Feynmans Technique and blurting to memorise it all. So id pick a topic and then for Feynmans technique you just teach it out loud to someone, and check ur notes to see how much you remember. Blurting is kind of the same except it’s writing everything you remember from the topic / ur notes rather than teaching them out loud to someone.

i didn’t use flashcards, they didn’t work for me and felt too time consuming and like another chore to do. Teaching a topic to someone or having a friend quiz me made revision not feel like work. Remember to check your notes alongside the spec as that tells you exactly what you need to know, and once you’ve finished notes on a topic, try attempting past paper questions via savemyexams or physicsandmathstutor ! Youtube is always a great place to go if you’re stuck on a concept. This lady is very underrated and i watched her biology videos the night before the exam to help summarise everything https://youtu.be/p42VNpRKmMg

don’t forget to revise all the required practicals for the papers :smile:
Original post by symptom

Primrose kitten, Physics online, Revision monkey are also good imo (I didn't get a high grade for GCSE science but I like these resources).
Original post by aliaa03
i got a 9-8 in GCSE combined science and never used seneca. it felt so laborious and boring to go through everything and the tasks.

i made my notes using the CGP guide for my AQA exam board, and then used Feynmans Technique and blurting to memorise it all. So id pick a topic and then for Feynmans technique you just teach it out loud to someone, and check ur notes to see how much you remember. Blurting is kind of the same except it’s writing everything you remember from the topic / ur notes rather than teaching them out loud to someone.

i didn’t use flashcards, they didn’t work for me and felt too time consuming and like another chore to do. Teaching a topic to someone or having a friend quiz me made revision not feel like work. Remember to check your notes alongside the spec as that tells you exactly what you need to know, and once you’ve finished notes on a topic, try attempting past paper questions via savemyexams or physicsandmathstutor ! Youtube is always a great place to go if you’re stuck on a concept. This lady is very underrated and i watched her biology videos the night before the exam to help summarise everything https://youtu.be/p42VNpRKmMg

Forgot about Emma. There's the CGP workbook too.
Original post by aliaa03

I feel the same way about seneca. It's too boring and you can just skim over the information given to you and you don't actually memorise anything. I'll definitelt try Feynams techinque, I've never heard of it before but it definitely seems much better than flashcards. I hate flashcards. I've also had a quick look through the channel you've recommended and it covers quite a lot of topics I struggle on.

This helped me a lot! Thank you!
Original post by Talkative Toad
Forgot about Emma. There's the CGP workbook too.

why forget? you can't do the workbook until you understand the content, and if this person thinks they're going to fail science they are clearly not going to have enough knowledge / understanding of the syllabus to be able to do practise questions and apply the knowledge they don't even have.
Original post by aliaa03
why forget? you can't do the workbook until you understand the content, and if this person thinks they're going to fail science they are clearly not going to have enough knowledge / understanding of the syllabus to be able to do practise questions and apply the knowledge they don't even have.

No I meant that I forgot that Emma existed in terms of good GCSE YT science channels. Hence why I said "forgot about Emma".
Original post by Talkative Toad
No I meant that I forgot that Emma existed in terms of good GCSE YT science channels. Hence why I said "forgot about Emma".

ahh I thought you said Forget ! 😂
I feel the same way about seneca. It's too boring and you can just skim over the information given to you and you don't actually memorise anything. I'll definitelt try Feynams techinque, I've never heard of it before but it definitely seems much better than flashcards. I hate flashcards. I've also had a quick look through the channel you've recommended and it covers quite a lot of topics I struggle on.

This helped me a lot! Thank you!

yay no problem !! :smile:
I will definitely not pass it. It's not that I'm dumb or lazy but I just really struggle with it. I listen and make notes but I still don't get it. I stick in a paper and the next thing I know they're talking about something different and it makes no sense to me. I try to revise but I quickly lose interest or don't understand at all. Today I had a test out of 42 and I only got a 15.

I have no desire to work in anything science related, nurse, doctor, etc. Would it really be that bad?

it is definitely not the end of the world. But if you want to improve, try these revision guides on a website called "bytes of intelligence".

Search "bytes of intelligence" on google and visit their shop, and their revision guides are really clear, concise and help you aim for great grades as they explain everything in detail plus have common hard exam questions which help you out a lot

Quick Reply