The Student Room Group

Why would parents charge their offspring rent?

Mine never have (I'm 22) and never will. Obvs I'm not planning on living here forever but whilst I am working and trying to save and living under my parents roof, they would never charge me.

I'm not judging for those that do, I'm just curious as to why any parent would charge their child rent when they suddenly turn 18? They went 18 years without charging rent, and feeding them so I'm not sure why some parents suddenly start to? I find it bizarre and unloving.

For example, my friends Mum charges her rent, and even charges her petrol money!!I couldn't believe it. I know I'm actually very privileged in terms of not having to pay for anything ( instead I do nice gestures like help round the house and buy my parents presents like flowers and beer/ wine).

Scroll to see replies

Ask your friend then
They want you to be a functioning member of society and move out.
Reply 3
OP you’re absolutely right. What you’re saying is also the same for those who are Asian, we don’t move out until we either have enough money to move out to support ourselves OR until we get married.
It is more usually that parents charge rent, if they are going to at all, once the offspring starts earning.
Reply 5
Original post by Honey57
OP you’re absolutely right. What you’re saying is also the same for those who are Asian, we don’t move out until we either have enough money to move out to support ourselves OR until we get married.

Agreed I think charging rent is very British in culture… my parents are Italian and my friends whose parents that also do not charge rent are also not British in culture.
Reply 6
Original post by ReadingMum
It is more usually that parents charge rent, if they are going to at all, once the offspring starts earning.

Possibly but I still think it defeats the objective of encouraging their child to save to move out. But everyone is different
Reply 7
Original post by Anonymous
Mine never have (I'm 22) and never will. Obvs I'm not planning on living here forever but whilst I am working and trying to save and living under my parents roof, they would never charge me.

I'm not judging for those that do, I'm just curious as to why any parent would charge their child rent when they suddenly turn 18? They went 18 years without charging rent, and feeding them so I'm not sure why some parents suddenly start to? I find it bizarre and unloving.

For example, my friends Mum charges her rent, and even charges her petrol money!!I couldn't believe it. I know I'm actually very privileged in terms of not having to pay for anything ( instead I do nice gestures like help round the house and buy my parents presents like flowers and beer/ wine).

not sure. i never would, and my parents never have. i think it’s a weird concept to have your own child that you raised suddenly have to give you money for being 18 and living with you ?? i have seen one mum that charged her son rent since he started getting pocket money, and when he turned 18 she gave it all back which was a nice surprise, but 95% of parents won’t do that so i don’t agree with charging your child rent to live with their own parents !!!!!!
Reply 8

Many parents will have struggled to support their children and once that child is an adult, it is not unreasonable to expect them to contribute: the parent will still have rent/mortgage/utilities to pay.

For others, it is more a matter of recognising that the child is now an adult and that the relationship is moving to one of equality rather than parent/child. I would think less of my children if they worked full time and did not at least offer to pay rent. I know several people who do charge their adult children, but put it into a savings account that they later use to help them with a house deposit. It's about encouraging them to be adults, not dependants.
It's generally to teach them how to pay their way in life as it's a skill like any other that has to be learned, such as 'Savings are what you have AFTER paying your keep, not before'. Feeling entitled to accrue savings at others peoples expense is a prime example of not having leaned these lessons.
Reply 10
I dunno why you'd be working and not want to put money into the household
this is just a specific example but sometimes the benefits a parent receives for child support stops once the child is 18
Reply 12
If you get a job and live at home rent free you may well get used to all the money you have and never be capable of sorting your act out to move out and pay rent.

My youngest - 23 - already earns more than I do. If he were living at home why shouldn't he contribute to the running costs of the house?
Because at 18, they become adults and it's time for them to start learning to be adults. And as pointed out above, there may be a financial aspect too due to child benefits no longer being paid. Don't see anything wrong with being charged for petrol money tbh - if you expect o be taxied around at that age, it should not be free.

As for you thinking that helping out around the house is "a nice gesture" - well, I don't know what to even say to that. Even kids are expected to help out with chores and there's a big ass adult of 22 living at home for free and seeing it as them doing their parents a favour...
Reply 14
"Helping round the house" is not a nice gesture but what common decency indicates you should do. Your parents are not your slaves when you are old enough to do your bit.
Original post by EOData
If you get a job and live at home rent free you may well get used to all the money you have and never be capable of sorting your act out to move out and pay rent.

My youngest - 23 - already earns more than I do. If he were living at home why shouldn't he contribute to the running costs of the house?

Yeah I suppose so, I don’t think my parents would expect that of me but everyone is different! Tbh my parents mortgage is paid off so that’s probably a big reason as to why I don’t pay any rent :smile:
Reply 16
Yeah I suppose so, I don’t think my parents would expect that of me but everyone is different! Tbh my parents mortgage is paid off so that’s probably a big reason as to why I don’t pay any rent :smile:

My mortgage is also paid off but the council tax, water rates and utility bills still come to £700 a month.
My Dad continued paying maintenance for me while I was at uni - when I went home in the holidays it went to my Mum. My brother didn't go to uni and didn't leave home till he was 27 - by then he had bought and sold 2 flats at profit.
Agreed I think charging rent is very British in culture… my parents are Italian and my friends whose parents that also do not charge rent are also not British in culture.

That's racist - I didn't charge my son rent so he could save for a deposit. He has bought his own house now and moved out.
Original post by Muttley79
That's racist - I didn't charge my son rent so he could save for a deposit. He has bought his own house now and moved out.

How’s that racist? Did he mock someone’s skin colour? He is stating what happens in some families, not all.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending