The Student Room Group

When does chemiosmosis occur in ETC?

Is it when H+ diffuse back into mitochondria matrix down electrochemical gradient through ATP synthase via chemiosmosis ?
i didnt learn it as chemiosmosis but I can help are we talking about oxidative phosphorylation or the light dependent reaction
Original post by zuzannasendor18
Is it when H+ diffuse back into mitochondria matrix down electrochemical gradient through ATP synthase via chemiosmosis ?

That is exactly right, though the term is sometimes used to describe the whole functioning of the ECT. I think it's more accurate to restrict it to what you've described.
Original post by znne56yu7
i didnt learn it as chemiosmosis but I can help are we talking about oxidative phosphorylation or the light dependent reaction

oxidative phosphorylation
Original post by Reality Check
That is exactly right, though the term is sometimes used to describe the whole functioning of the ECT. I think it's more accurate to restrict it to what you've described.

Thank you :smile:
Original post by zuzannasendor18

When energy stored in the form of a H+ gradient across a membrane is used to drive cellular work such as the synthesis of ATP, it is called chemiosmosis.
Original post by thomas.rhett
When energy stored in the form of a H+ gradient across a membrane is used to drive cellular work such as the synthesis of ATP, it is called chemiosmosis.

Note that the flow of protons through ATP synthase is not actually required to synthesise ATP - it is needed to release ATP from the synthase. ATP synthesises in the absence of a chemiosmotic proton gradient.
Reply 7
Original post by Reality Check
Note that the flow of protons through ATP synthase is not actually required to synthesise ATP - it is needed to release ATP from the synthase. ATP synthesises in the absence of a chemiosmotic proton gradient.

Interesting, I didn’t know that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending