The Student Room Group

I'm currently about to pick my GCSEs and I'm slightly conflicted on what I should do

So,

Right now I'm a few weeks from picking my GCSEs and I want to make sure what I'm doing is right for the occupation I want to do.

My Occupation that I want to do is Working in the VR games Industry, since ,By the time I'm 21, I assume VR won't be a gimmick and will be a fully-fledged community.

Current Options I'm deciding for GCSE (I have 10) is: English Language, English Literature, Maths, Double science (Physics and Biology, since I'm not that great at Chemistry) and R.E. <- these are all compulsory

My Non-compulsory choices -> History, Business (So I can do A-level economics), Computer Studies (For obvious reasons) and DT (I don't think it's called CAD but the one I want to do is where you work with computers to produce things)

When I say "Working in the VR Games Industry" I'm talking about the coding aspect, so I would learn C# Since that's the coding language that Unity uses. But I would also like to Help with the design of the game which is why I went for DT as well...

…Hopefully all this information can (kind-of) sum up what I want to do for GCSE and if the options are good or not :smile:
(edited 2 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
If I were you then I would choose chemistry as it is a vital subject as many jobs require this subject such as doctor, pharmacist and other medical jobs. Even though it is not the kind of profession you want to go into, it is extremely likely you will change your mind as it is very early to decide your career.
Original post by Zack Green
So,

Right now I'm a few weeks from picking my GCSEs and I want to make sure what I'm doing is right for the occupation I want to do.

My Occupation that I want to do is Working in the VR games Industry, since ,By the time I'm 21, I assume VR won't be a gimmick and will be a fully-fledged community.

Current Options I'm deciding for GCSE (I have 10) is: English Language, English Literature, Maths, Double science (Physics and Biology, since I'm not that great at Chemistry) and R.E. <- these are all compulsory

My Non-compulsory choices -> History, Business (So I can do A-level economics), Computer Studies (For obvious reasons) and DT (I don't think it's called CAD but the one I want to do is where you work with computers to produce things)

When I say "Working in the VR Games Industry" I'm talking about the coding aspect, so I would learn C# Since that's the coding language that Unity uses. But I would also like to Help with the design of the game which is why I went for DT as well...

…Hopefully all this information can (kind-of) sum up what I want to do for GCSE and if the options are good or not :smile:

They look good! The only one I would query is the business - you don't need to do business at GCSE to do Economics A level, and I don't think it is as 'respected' as your other subjects. How about a language?
Reply 3
Original post by M.H4kim
If I were you then I would choose chemistry as it is a vital subject as many jobs require this subject such as doctor, pharmacist and other medical jobs. Even though it is not the kind of profession you want to go into, it is extremely likely you will change your mind as it is very early to decide your career.

The rest are fine
Original post by M.H4kim

But if OP says they aren't good at chemistry, and chem GCSE isn't a requirement for comp sci at uni, I think it is better to have a good grade in another subject than a 5 or 6 in chemistry?
I thought in double science you still have to do all 3 sciences, just less content on all of them so you only end it with 2 GCSEs?
Original post by CurlyyMM
I thought in double science you still have to do all 3 sciences, just less content on all of them so you only end it with 2 GCSEs?

That's called combined science, and it is the default option for students who don't pick triple science.

Yeah that’s what I thought. OP doesn’t make any sense. Chemistry links biology and physics, it would be easier to do all three with less content in combined than trying to ignore it.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 8
All your GCSEs are fine :smile:
Good choices!
Reply 9

Yeah exactly, Since I'm worse at Chemistry I'd only do a GCSE in Biology and Physics, I still do chemistry.. just not as much as the other two
Yeah exactly, Since I'm worse at Chemistry I'd only do a GCSE in Biology and Physics, I still do chemistry.. just not as much as the other two

That’s not how it works. You study each of the sciences that have equal material. You just get 2 grades which are based on the full conclusive result.
Reply 11
Original post by booklover1313
They look good! The only one I would query is the business - you don't need to do business at GCSE to do Economics A level, and I don't think it is as 'respected' as your other subjects. How about a language?

I was considering a Language, Most likely Spanish since I'm better at Spanish than French, but I don't find Spanish interesting... despite being good at it. I'd rather do a GCSE in Business just in case I don't do A level Economics/Politics than I still have it as a GCSE to put on my CV. The only A-level I'm completely solid on is Computer studies, since my brother also does A-level Comp :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by M.H4kim

I doubt I would be a doctor, and I'd rather do subjects I'd do good in then possibly get a 5 in Chemistry than getting higher scores in Biology/Physics =)
I was considering a Language, Most likely Spanish since I'm better at Spanish than French, but I don't find Spanish interesting... despite being good at it. I'd rather do a GCSE in Business just in case I don't do A level Economics/Politics than I still have it as a GCSE to put on my CV. The only A-level I'm completely solid on is Computer studies, since my brother also does A-level Comp :smile:

Don’t do a language if you’re not that interested in it. Unis treat all GCSEs the same now so don’t worry about it and continue with business.
So,

I would really recommend Graphics if it’s an option at your school, since you want to potentially go into design and also because in statistical computer modelling it’s very very useful. I didn’t do graphics myself but all of my coding friends did their graphics gcse and it really helped.

Also personally, i’m not seeing the reasoning behind choosing business for A-level economics. Unless it’s something you like doing, totally go ahead! But from a computer standpoint, the most important a levels would potentially be computer science, mathematics (maybe further maths too) and physics.

Something that’s really important to consider too is that you genuinely have to like the subject! The more you enjoy it, the better you’ll be and the more likely you are to revise it, so as cheesy as it sounds, follow your heart!
Your GCSE choices are fine (it's quite difficult for them to not be fine to be honest, schools won't let you drop anything crucial), but setting up for A level economics is an odd choice if you want to do computer science or related at university. You'll want maths for sure, preferably further maths, maybe something artistic if you're into the visual side of game design, maybe physics, maybe CS.

As other people have been saying, you still do all sciences. I also did a double/combined gcse in science and it’s the same format as the separate sciences: 2 biology papers, 2 chemistry papers and 2 physics papers.
Reply 17
Original post by Honey57
Don’t do a language if you’re not that interested in it. Unis treat all GCSEs the same now so don’t worry about it and continue with business.

Thanks! Our Language teachers are trying to swoon us over by saying "Do a language and go to UCL" or something like that. But 1.) I doubt I'll go to a Russel school since we aren't the richest of people 2.) I'm genuinely not the smartest person.

I go to Grammar School and I think I'm ranked 73rd(?) In my Year out of 150... So I'm fairly average
Thanks! Our Language teachers are trying to swoon us over by saying "Do a language and go to UCL" or something like that. But 1.) I doubt I'll go to a Russel school since we aren't the richest of people 2.) I'm genuinely not the smartest person.

I go to Grammar School and I think I'm ranked 73rd(?) In my Year out of 150... So I'm fairly average

Russel group schools and ucl and every uni has the same costs and they have normal people like you and me, nothing too smart :smile: you can go to them no matter the cost but language GCSEs aren’t like what they were back then, if you don’t find it interesting, don’t continue it.
I doubt I'll go to a Russel school since we aren't the richest of people

University fees are capped in the UK and almost every university charges the same - Russell group unis aren't any more expensive than anywhere else.

Don't self-select yourself out of a good university because you (mistakenly) think it's only for rich people. I know it's several years yet, but a sadly large number of people never even apply for places they could have got into.

Quick Reply

Latest