The Student Room Group

Face mask rules and Covid passes to end in England - your thoughts?

Covid: Face mask rules and Covid passes to end in England

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-60047438

What are your thoughts on this? Is this a good or bad idea?

Isolation when having covid may also end in the next couple of months:

"When the current self-isolation regulations expire on 24 March, Mr Johnson said he expected not to renew them. If the data allows, the government will "seek a vote in this House to bring that date forward", the PM added." (towards the end of the article linked above).

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
thank goddddd, finally
inb4 paranoid covid-obsessed people invade this thread to cry about it.....
Original post by Ciel.
thank goddddd, finally
inb4 paranoid covid-obsessed people invade this thread to cry about it.....

Whilst I find part of it positive (e.g. feeling like returning back to more normality) - I do understand that some people, especially those who are vulnerable, may feel scared :redface: even if they continued to stay home or reduce their mixing, it can still get back to them.

I do understand though, at some point we need to get back to some normality with things - I was expecting it to be a bit longer until then to be honest :tongue:
Reply 3
Original post by BurstingBubbles
Whilst I find part of it positive (e.g. feeling like returning back to more normality) - I do understand that some people, especially those who are vulnerable, may feel scared :redface: even if they continued to stay home or reduce their mixing, it can still get back to them.

I do understand though, at some point we need to get back to some normality with things - I was expecting it to be a bit longer until then to be honest :tongue:

tbh i don't see how being in lockdown benefits them? i mean, nothing will change for them? they can still wear a mask if they wish, they can do their shopping online? they don't need to go to any events?
Original post by Ciel.
tbh i don't see how being in lockdown benefits them? i mean, nothing will change for them? they can still wear a mask if they wish, they can do their shopping online? they don't need to go to any events?

Yeah but the higher the rates/likelihood of new variants to escape the vaccine (which is more likely with reduced restrictions) - the more likely it'll still get back to them. It's a tricky balance to be fair, I'm all for moving forward and reducing restrictions when it's safe, I can just imagine that people who are vulnerable will be nervous (and those who have family/friends who are).
Reply 5
Yeah but the higher the rates/likelihood of new variants to escape the vaccine (which is more likely with reduced restrictions) - the more likely it'll still get back to them. It's a tricky balance to be fair, I'm all for moving forward and reducing restrictions when it's safe, I can just imagine that people who are vulnerable will be nervous (and those who have family/friends who are).

idk tbh lots of countries are still in full lockdowns but they still get the same variants. who knows
Original post by Ciel.
idk tbh lots of countries are still in full lockdowns but they still get the same variants. who knows

Yeah true I guess it just reduces the speed in which they spread and how frequent there are new variants? I wonder how the world would be if none of the countries ever went into lock down :shock:
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 7
Yeah true I guess it just reduces the speed in which they spread and how frequent there are new variants? I wonder how the world would be if none of the countries ever went into lock down :shock:

we'd prob be in a covid-free world by now tbh..
Original post by Ciel.
we'd prob be in a covid-free world by now tbh..

Ah that's an interesting take. I don't think we can or would have ever been able to 'get rid' of it, like with the cold/flu. I think it would have been a much bigger peak (possibly health care overwhelmed etc.) and then it trailed off a bit but up and down again (like with cold and flu season) - but who knows :holmes:
PM is only doing this to save his backside. I don't think that the mandate (the mask wearing one, the vax passports can get the hell out of here) should have been removed despite the fact that I don't like wearing a mask but I'll take not having to mask up.
Original post by Talkative Toad
PM is only doing this to save his backside. I don't think that the mandate (the mask wearing one, the vax passports can get the hell out of here) should have been removed despite the fact that I don't like wearing a mask but I'll take not having to mask up.

Is that because they think most people want restrictions to end? When speaking to my friends and family about it, most of them think it's too early and will still wear a mask. But perhaps PM wants to make it an optional thing to please the majority?

I'm still going to wear a mask where possible for now, but eventually I'll reduce wearing one - will depend on cases etc.
Is that because they think most people want restrictions to end? When speaking to my friends and family about it, most of them think it's too early and will still wear a mask. But perhaps PM wants to make it an optional thing to please the majority?

I'm still going to wear a mask where possible for now, but eventually I'll reduce wearing one - will depend on cases etc.

Nah he wants to please his fellow MPs and people like me and ciel who don't like wearing a mask (I still wear one where it's legally required to do so) so that he can get some support in my opinion after the backlash he has received.

He needs to throw the towel in, wave the white flag and go, he's a disgrace. Tempted to say that he's as bad/worst than Trump and that's something.
(edited 2 years ago)
Another day on hell island. Still in the heart of a pandemic but it's not popular so we're going to pretend it's an endemic and let thousands die.

I hate this shithole of a country.
Reply 13
Sound, looking forward to it.
Good, it's pointless wearing masks on buses when people aren't wearing them anyway. I only continue to do so because I don't want to be fined (or whatever the punishment is).
I'll be glad to see a reduction in chin acne and not being able to see out of my glasses.
A mild variant replacing the dominant strain is how Spanish flu allegedly died out. Omicron was a good thing for the pandemic since vaccines alone are always going to be playing catch up with variants.
Removing masks in school makes absolutely no sense at this point in time, it's premature.
There are currently large numbers of staff and students off school across the country and this can only increase that.
So we will have more students off school, not learning. More students having to be taught by teachers from the wrong subject, not learning properly. More students sat in large classes where they can't get personal support, not learning properly.
All these things are far more disruptive than having to wear a mask, and far more detrimental to mental health.
(edited 2 years ago)
@BurstingBubbles This may interest you, I also saw an article today about increased speech and language referrals. I'll link it when I find it again.
I'm delighted. After almost two years of living under tyranny we've finally won our freedom back. It shows that good ultimately wins.
Boris obviously did it to save his career from the countless scandals he has been caught with, but regardless happy that these **** rules have finally been removed.
Original post by CoolCavy
@BurstingBubbles This may interest you, I also saw an article today about increased speech and language referrals. I'll link it when I find it again.

Yeah the referral rates are much higher and it's clearly had an impact :redface:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending