The Student Room Group

Am I eligible for student finance? Previous DipHE but did not receive student finance

Hello all

I have previously been to university years 2016-18, where I achieved a DipHE. I was not eligible for student finance as the course I did was funded (NHS).

I am wishing to return to university this year 2022 for a BA degree, however my only concern is if I would not be eligible for student finance (due to being to university in the past).

If anyone has any information I'd really appreciate it. I'm sorry to make a post, I have tried googling but have only found answers that are not specific to my case.

Thanks
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by chrlat
Hello all

I have previously been to university years 2016-18, where I achieved a DipHE. I was not eligible for student finance as the course I did was funded (NHS).

I am wishing to return to university this year 2022 for a BA degree, however my only concern is if I would not be eligible for student finance (due to being to university in the past).

If anyone has any information I'd really appreciate it. I'm sorry to make a post, I have tried googling but have only found answers that are not specific to my case.

Thanks

Hi there,

In order to determine your eligibility, please confirm:

1. Which university and course you are looking to start your studies with?
2. How old you are.
3. Your nationality, current status and time spent within the UK.
4. Any previous study and qualifications you may hold.

Thanks, Isaac
Reply 2
Original post by SFE Isaac
Hi there,

In order to determine your eligibility, please confirm:

1. Which university and course you are looking to start your studies with?
2. How old you are.
3. Your nationality, current status and time spent within the UK.
4. Any previous study and qualifications you may hold.

Thanks, Isaac

Hi Isaac! Thanks for the reply

1- Modern Languages and Translation at Cardiff University is my first choice. With Japanese Studies at Uni of Manchester, Uni of Leeds & Uni of Sheffield as backup
2- I'm 26 but turn 27 in August
3- British, always lived in the UK
4- I studied DipHE Paramedic Practice years 2016-18, in which I received Distinction. This course was funded. At the time I applied to student finance for a maintainence loan to help with living expenses, and was rejected due to the course being funded.

Any help is really appreciated, thanks again!
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by chrlat
Hi Isaac! Thanks for the reply

1- Modern Languages and Translation at Cardiff University is my first choice. With Japanese Studies at Uni of Manchester, Uni of Leeds & Uni of Sheffield as backup
2- I'm 26 but turn 27 in August
3- British, always lived in the UK
4- I studied DipHE Paramedic Practice years 2016-18, in which I received Distinction. This course was funded. At the time I applied to student finance for a maintainence loan to help with living expenses, and was rejected due to the course being funded.

Any help is really appreciated, thanks again!

Applicants can be funded for the length of the course + 1 additional year - any previous study

Please can you confirm how many years of previous higher education study you have? Is it two?

Thanks, Isaac
Reply 4
Applicants can be funded for the length of the course + 1 additional year - any previous study

Please can you confirm how many years of previous higher education study you have? Is it two?

Thanks, Isaac

Hi Isaac, that's correct yes I studied for 2 years.

The courses I'm interested in are all 4 year courses, however that includes one year abroad where the course fees are "reduced".

Through this math (4 years + 1 year - 2 years) would that mean I would receive 3 years funded?

Thank you again
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by chrlat
Hi Isaac, that's correct yes I studied for 2 years.

The courses I'm interested in are all 4 year courses, however that includes one year abroad where the course fees are "reduced".

Through this math (4 years + 1 year - 2 years) would that mean I would receive 3 years funded?

Thank you again

This means you would have to self fund the first year of the new course, unless you can provide evidence of Compelling Personal Reasons http://ow.ly/MsMM30pjjOm for not being able to finish the first course.

Thanks, Isaac
Reply 6
This means you would have to self fund the first year of the new course, unless you can provide evidence of Compelling Personal Reasons http://ow.ly/MsMM30pjjOm for not being able to finish the first course.

Thanks, Isaac

Hi Isaac

Just to clarify, I did finish my first course, at the time it was a 2 year DipHE. (2017 onwards became 3 years BSc).

Should that mean I will receive full funding?

Thanks again
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by chrlat
Hi Isaac

Just to clarify, I did finish my first course, at the time it was a 2 year DipHE. (2017 onwards became 3 years BSc).

Should that mean I will receive full funding?

Thanks again

With 2 years of previous study, you will need to self fund the first year.

If you completed the last course, then you won't have any CPR evidence to provide.

CPR could of been used if you failed a year for example or didn't complete the course, then CPR can be used to gain a year back.

Thanks, Isaac

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending