The Student Room Group

Doing GCSEs later on for medicine?

I have been homeschooled throughout my GCSEs and are now ready to sit iGCSEs. I have done no practicals, however still have a place in college to do Biology, Chemistry & Computer science A levels.

First of all, iGCSEs will be equal to GCSEs when applying to medical school as I missed out on the practicals?

Also, right now I cannot afford to sit more than just 5 iGCSEs. My plan is to do 5 now to get into college, and then do another 5 or 6 in the coming years to get it up to 10 or 11, will this be sufficient or will schools disfavour this?
Reply 1
IGCSEs are fine for university - some private schools choose them in preference to GCSEs.

I'd forget taking more GCSEs later and concentrate on getting top grades at A level. A lot of universities wouldn't count GCSEs taken with/after your A levels so it would just be a waste of your time and money and a distraction from your main studies.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by EOData
IGCSEs are fine for university - some private schools choose them in preference to GCSEs.

I'd forget taking more GCSEs later and concentrate on getting top grades at A level. A lot of universities wouldn't count GCSEs taken with/after your A levels sop it would just be a waste of your time and money and a distraction from your main studies.

For medical school? I think it's a little different for med school though you may be right. Are you sure?
Reply 3
Original post by medicfeffe
For medical school? I think it's a little different for med school though you may be right. Are you sure?

Try checking with some med schools.
Reply 4
any other ideas?
Practicals are no longer required for GCSE sciences, so I wouldn't worry about this aspect of your GCSEs. However, you don't mention what subjects you've done so it would be difficult to advise on whether yours would be sufficient to meet the requirements.

Bear in mind that a number of universities require a minimum number and specify particular subjects. I never did GCSE Chemistry and I found that this ruled me out of a number of universities even though I was doing the A level in chemistry and even though I was a double graduate (I might do the GCSE just for the sake of completeness in June, even my offer isn't dependent on it, as I'm curious to see what I could get without trying!). You never know quite when a lack of a certain number of subjects or a certain subject might hurt your chances - especially as your choice of universities is usually contingent on your UCAT or BMAT score rather than your academics. If your UCAT tanked, you might be more reliant on being able to apply to BMAT universities. Leeds is a BMAT university which gives points per GCSE grade attained so having a certain number may be beneficial to you to pad out your application.

I would say this: if you can find at least 10 medical schools that would take you as is, no further subjects required, I would give your attention to your A levels. You can always re-evaluate after you've got your A level subjects in hand in the event that you don't manage to get any offers. Most people have to apply more than once to medicine anyway, so that extra year can always be used to fill in any academic gaps in your application.
I have been homeschooled throughout my GCSEs and are now ready to sit iGCSEs. I have done no practicals, however still have a place in college to do Biology, Chemistry & Computer science A levels.

First of all, iGCSEs will be equal to GCSEs when applying to medical school as I missed out on the practicals?

Also, right now I cannot afford to sit more than just 5 iGCSEs. My plan is to do 5 now to get into college, and then do another 5 or 6 in the coming years to get it up to 10 or 11, will this be sufficient or will schools disfavour this?

Hi there.

Most medical schools typically need at least 5 GCSE's at grades 7 with English, Maths and Sciences (Biology, Chemistry) at a minimum of grade B/6. Obtaining these grades, particularly in maths and sciences, will enable you to enrol onto your desired A levels and help you to understand A level content better. There are however some unis that have few/no GCSE requirements e.g. Newcastle has none and Exeter only needs a grade 4 in English Language and Maths.

I personally wouldn't recommend doing 5/6 GCSEs whilst also doing 3 A levels which you generally need A's in for medicine. A Levels require much more commitment than GCSEs and without the desired A level grades you're chances of being rejected are almost definite.

I think iGCSEs would be accepted by med schools as they're GCSE equivalents, however I think could confirm this and give you further advice.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by TriplexA
Hi there.

Most medical schools typically need at least 5 GCSE's at grades 7 with English, Maths and Sciences (Biology, Chemistry) at a minimum of grade B/6. Obtaining these grades, particularly in maths and sciences, will enable you to enrol onto your desired A levels and help you to understand A level content better. There are however some unis that have few/no GCSE requirements e.g. Newcastle has none and Exeter only needs a grade 4 in English Language and Maths.

I personally wouldn't recommend doing 5/6 GCSEs whilst also doing 3 A levels which you generally need A's in for medicine. A Levels require much more commitment than GCSEs and without the desired A level grades you're chances of being rejected are almost definite.

I think iGCSEs would be accepted by med schools as they're GCSE equivalents, however I think @ecolier could confirm this and give you further advice.

Thank you for the response, however this is not what I'm asking. I can sit 5 now, the minimum to advance to the next step, but I know this won't be enough to be admitted due to strong competition. I am asking if I sit 5 now, then maybe 5 later would that still be equal to doing 10 now or would it be disfavoured as they were sat in different sittings.
Reply 8
Thank you for the response, however this is not what I'm asking. I can sit 5 now, the minimum to advance to the next step, but I know this won't be enough to be admitted due to strong competition. I am asking if I sit 5 now, then maybe 5 later would that still be equal to doing 10 now or would it be disfavoured as they were sat in different sittings.

That will vary from med school to med school. Some will be happy with simply a 6 in GCSE Eng Lang, others would need 10+ A* equivalents all sat at the same time. Generally, you are probably best looking at those who will be happy wih 5 GCSEs, providing your stats make an application to them sensible.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending