The Student Room Group

Why do some people find it hard to apologise?

Why do some people find it hard to apologise?

Is it seen as a sign of weakness?
Thought the same about your username.
Original post by Bronfenbrennerzy
Thought the same about your username.

:confused:
Many people are too proud to say that they are sorry or refuse to admit to ever being wrong.
To anyone including themselves.

A few have a long history of being bullied in early life then told by third parties to apologize to the very bully that openly made their life a misery and as adults view all requests/social pressure to ever apologize for anything as a form of gaslighting.
The latter interpreting such behaviour as being targeted yet again for further episodes of abuse.
Or humiliation attempts intended to compel them to conform to other people's religious beliefs while knowing that they are not in the wrong.
Some people also have personalities that prefer to sulk/be angry/pretend they were right than apologise or view giving an apology as a sign of weakness.
I've only ever apologised once in my life and am unlikely to ever put myself in such a situation again.
Reply 4
Saying sorry for some people is an admission of failure - A narcissist will never apologise but will want to blame others or just get angry.
If you are a person how has been 'wounded or hurt' by someone else's behaviour it can be a very painful process to experience.

We are trained and coerced not to apologise by insurance companies and Health Boards (Trusts) - It's a legal requirement to 'Never apologise' - payouts are affected by it.

Wouldn't it be wonderful if legislation allowed for a person who had made a genuine mistake in any capacity to apologise at the time or a short time afterwards without that apology being allowed to be used against them in civil litigation?

In hospital accidents or individual negligence time and time again - we hear - That 'they' (The Trust) have evaded, colluded, covered up and never apologised ever. This is terrible. It stops the healing process as the anger is usually so caustic and internalised. The apology is the validation of the victim's hurt inside. Not to say it compounds the hurt so many times over.

In car accidents - drivers are told by insurance companies - 'Don't apologise' - yet the anger and hurt caused by another's inability to apologise is a long lasting scar often preceded by road rage? We can gain so much more when the words expressing 'sorry' are genuine and heartfelt.
Original post by Muttly
Saying sorry for some people is an admission of failure - A narcissist will never apologise but will want to blame others or just get angry.
If you are a person how has been 'wounded or hurt' by someone else's behaviour it can be a very painful process to experience.

We are trained and coerced not to apologise by insurance companies and Health Boards (Trusts) - It's a legal requirement to 'Never apologise' - payouts are affected by it.

Wouldn't it be wonderful if legislation allowed for a person who had made a genuine mistake in any capacity to apologise at the time or a short time afterwards without that apology being allowed to be used against them in civil litigation?

In hospital accidents or individual negligence time and time again - we hear - That 'they' (The Trust) have evaded, colluded, covered up and never apologised ever. This is terrible. It stops the healing process as the anger is usually so caustic and internalised. The apology is the validation of the victim's hurt inside. Not to say it compounds the hurt so many times over.

In car accidents - drivers are told by insurance companies - 'Don't apologise' - yet the anger and hurt caused by another's inability to apologise is a long lasting scar often preceded by road rage? We can gain so much more when the words expressing 'sorry' are genuine and heartfelt.

I think what you say makes loads of sense, Pity I can't give a rep again! I never thought of institutions preventing people from apologizing due to potential payouts. We all make mistakes and sometimes we know that people are lying and covering up which makes it a million times worse.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending