The Student Room Group

Funding a masters

I am desperate. If I don’t get any support with funding my masters I just won’t be able to do it. Some universities offer partial scholarships and some don’t offer any for postgrads. For some reason northern Irish students get half or less than half of the loans that students in other parts of the UK receive so I have no idea what to do.

Does anybody at all have any advice for any way I could pay for this? Advice on grants, scholarships, loans, charities, getting donations, fundraising or anything 😂🙏
Original post by Music47
I am desperate. If I don’t get any support with funding my masters I just won’t be able to do it. Some universities offer partial scholarships and some don’t offer any for postgrads. For some reason northern Irish students get half or less than half of the loans that students in other parts of the UK receive so I have no idea what to do.

Does anybody at all have any advice for any way I could pay for this? Advice on grants, scholarships, loans, charities, getting donations, fundraising or anything 😂🙏

Hello @Music47

I went through the same problem when it came to doing my MA, as I too am from Northern Ireland. You do get your whole tuition fee covered, but not any extra maintenance loan/grants, unfortunately! I think this is something that should be fought for.

However, you could do your Masters and work substantial hours alongside, to support you in your studies (this is what I had done!) as there tends to be more flexibility alongside studying a Masters course.

Or - there are Universities that may offer postgraduate scholarships. It may be worthwhile reading around these and keeping your options open. We offer discounts to students who have already studied with us. More can be read here.

Best of luck!

Dylan
Reply 2
Original post by Liverpool Hope University
Hello @Music47

I went through the same problem when it came to doing my MA, as I too am from Northern Ireland. You do get your whole tuition fee covered, but not any extra maintenance loan/grants, unfortunately! I think this is something that should be fought for.

However, you could do your Masters and work substantial hours alongside, to support you in your studies (this is what I had done!) as there tends to be more flexibility alongside studying a Masters course.

Or - there are Universities that may offer postgraduate scholarships. It may be worthwhile reading around these and keeping your options open. We offer discounts to students who have already studied with us. More can be read here.

Best of luck!

Dylan

Thank you so much for replying! I really appreciate it a lot. Did you apply to student finance NI or England? Don’t think I can apply for England cause i don’t live there but you only get £5k for NI so I literally won’t be able to go 🙃
Friends in northern ireland funded their postgrads via corporate sponsorship, inheritances, personal savings, bank loans, employment income, financial support from relatives and taking a gap year to earn enough to pay for their tuition fees & living expenses.
Good luck!
Original post by Music47
Thank you so much for replying! I really appreciate it a lot. Did you apply to student finance NI or England? Don’t think I can apply for England cause i don’t live there but you only get £5k for NI so I literally won’t be able to go 🙃

Hey @Music47,

Yes unfortunately you would need to apply via Student Finance NI. As I had said, they would just cover your course tuition fee (sadly).

However, it is manageable, if you are able to secure yourself a job to support you. We also offer halls of residence for Postgraduate Students on our Aigburth Park campus which is relatively cheap in comparison to a lot of areas within Liverpool!

If you have any other specific questions, ask away! I'd be more than happy to help having been through the same process and initial fear of financial instability.

Have a great weekend,

Dylan :smile:
E [email protected]

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending