The Student Room Group

If you get called carefree at work is it an insult ?

My boss asked me something about a piece of paper not being on the wall and I asked him to repeat it he started putting stuff in his bag ready to go home and said ‘you’re all the same here, you’re the opposite of me, carefree’. He moved teams shortly after this but does carefree mean that I don’t give a ****?

People have said that I don’t care/don’t give a **** in the past but then why do I feel a sense of dread and have stomach ache most mornings before going to work? This isn’t carefree is it?

The thing is I have to be either angry or scared to feel motivated/in the moment. If I’m relaxed I tend to be dissociative/not care much

Why is this?
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
People have said that I don’t care/don’t give a **** in the past but then why do I feel a sense of dread and have stomach ache most mornings before going to work? This isn’t carefree is it?

Maybe that's you stressing about being called carefree/laidback again.

Is this Rachel/Adele/Jaz?

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=95969950&highlight=Rachel%20boss%20carefree

If you can't be inspired to do your job properly, there's all kinds of terms that can be used, and 'carefree' is quite a polite one; lazy, lacking self-motivation, no sense of responsibility are others. As to why this is, only you can say; maybe you don't like being found out?
Reply 2
Original post by Surnia
Maybe that's you stressing about being called carefree/laidback again.

Is this Rachel/Adele/Jaz?

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=95969950&highlight=Rachel%20boss%20carefree

If you can't be inspired to do your job properly, there's all kinds of terms that can be used, and 'carefree' is quite a polite one; lazy, lacking self-motivation, no sense of responsibility are others. As to why this is, only you can say; maybe you don't like being found out?

Cheers was looking for that lol, we are not supposed to bring old threads up are we I could have just added to it

Anyway if you are interested in my post lol I guess I feel it’s unfair as in comparison to most of the population I’ve worked all through lockdown full time, not had more than a weeks annual leave off in almost 4 years. Also I’ve gone out my way to help work mates only to be **** on, I can’t find a polite word.

I guess another reason is in real life (perhaps not on here lol) I’m drama free, just get on with things. I go into work and just get started right away yet other people who moan, yell etc don’t get called lazy/care free and are deemed ‘good’. I remember back at uni in a group meeting (there was some conflict between students, I wasn’t involved) the tutor looked at me and said ‘no offence you seem like you don’t care’. Later in the meeting she praised the people who had the conflict for having strong personalities and said ‘thats what we want we don’t want people who don’t care and a relationship laid back’. So yea I basically get insulted in a meeting that’s want even about me. One of those btw people went into nursing and was sacked due to attitude.

Do workplaces want people who create a load of drama.

I guess it bothers me as I feel like my personality is being attacked for doing nothing wrong (even though I’m aware I’m probs too over sensitive) and secondly as you said yea maybe I don’t care and don’t like being found out-I hate this part of myself though
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
My boss asked me something about a piece of paper not being on the wall and I asked him to repeat it he started putting stuff in his bag ready to go home and said ‘you’re all the same here, you’re the opposite of me, carefree’. He moved teams shortly after this but does carefree mean that I don’t give a ****?

A polite way of saying youre all sitting on your thumbs from the sounds of it.

The thing is I have to be either angry or scared to feel motivated/in the moment. If I’m relaxed I tend to be dissociative/not care much

Why is this?

Going by this i think you already knew the answer, if you freely admit you have no work ethic then its noit surprising (and certainly not a good thing) that your manager has picked up on it. If you can only work when youre scared or angry its probably something youd want to look into as well.
Reply 4
Original post by Napp
A polite way of saying youre all sitting on your thumbs from the sounds of it.

Going by this i think you already knew the answer, if you freely admit you have no work ethic then its noit surprising (and certainly not a good thing) that your manager has picked up on it. If you can only work when youre scared or angry its probably something youd want to look into as well.

For the first 2 years though I was told that my work ethic is great, that I’m concientious and always put the team first. At the same time I was told by people that I’m laid back/placid so it’s sort of mixed really. An odd thing is I was persuaded to apply for a job then didnt’t get the job, the same person who persuaded me said he needed more output and the new employee was more efficient. Firstly why persuade me to apply if I didn’t have the qualities and secondly I don’t understand.

After this I did feel a bit betrayed, angry and my attitude wasn’t quite the same but yea I still got mixed opinions before this

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending