The Student Room Group

are these good a levels for architecture

is art psychology and biology good a levels to do to study architecture?
Reply 1
I'm thinking of doing art psycology and biology but are these good a levels to study architecture?I'm also debating on whether I should take philosophy
Original post by nimmybijuu

i don't think i will the the most useful person for this as im not going into architecture, but i think the most common / obvious combination would probably be maths, physics and art, especially as architecture involves a lot of maths / physics, also you can check some uni requirements if you're not sure
It really depends on the university; the top tier universities will expect Maths or Physics with Art or an essay-based subject. But some other universities will just expect Art and the ability to cope with a demanding workload. :smile:
I'm thinking of doing art psycology and biology but are these good a levels to study architecture?I'm also debating on whether I should take philosophy

Cambridge, UCL and Manchester will expect either Maths or Physics and Art. :smile: Otherwise, you can choose anything.
As above - Architecture is about far more than just design - you'll also need a Maths/Physics background to do Arch at Bath - https://www.bath.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate-2022/architecture/
Please dont multi-post.

Hi!
I’m a second year architecture at the university of Kent and it’s great that you want to study this course.

If you are not sure of which A Levels are right for the course, I’d recommend checking the requirements of the university you are apply for, to be safe. You’ll see this changes from place to place but studying Art will help for your portfolio submission at any university. Most universities might prefer Science, Mathematics, English or Physics: ultimately, each institution decides what their general entry requirements are.

I’m sure that with enough information, you will be able to make the decision you reckon is best for you. I’ll attach the link to the University of Kent Architecture page for you to have ab idea: https://www.kent.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/apply/entry-requirements

Also, this is what UCAS has to say about applying for an architecture degree: https://www.ucas.com/explore/subjects/architecture-building-and-planning

I hope this helps! If you have more questions, don’t hesitate to ask :smile:

Tracy
-UKC Rep

Yes. These A levels will be fine for the majority of courses.

Original post by uaryrius
but i think the most common / obvious combination would probably be maths, physics and art, especially as architecture involves a lot of maths / physics, also you can check some uni requirements if you're not sure

Original post by thegeek888
It really depends on the university; the top tier universities will expect Maths or Physics with Art or an essay-based subject. But some other universities will just expect Art and the ability to cope with a demanding workload. :smile:

Original post by thegeek888
Cambridge, UCL and Manchester will expect either Maths or Physics and Art. :smile: Otherwise, you can choose anything.

The vast majority of architecture courses do not specify math and/or physics as a requirement.

For K100 architecture, Strathclyde and some Cambridge colleges are the only universities that require maths or physics. Bath prefers maths and/or physics. Manchester "A mixture of science or maths and humanities or arts subjects is preferred, but not essential". UCL does not specify any subjects.

To the OP, do your own research for the unis that you are interested in to make sure what is required of you.
Reply 9

I have a friend who’s going to study architecture and he’s doing maths further maths biology art. So I’d really recommend switching psychology for atleast maths and if you ever decide to change career paths you’ll be extremely grateful you picked maths as I’ve never once regretted taking it
Original post by dah22
I have a friend who’s going to study architecture and he’s doing maths further maths biology art. So I’d really recommend switching psychology for atleast maths and if you ever decide to change career paths you’ll be extremely grateful you picked maths as I’ve never once regretted taking it

But maths is NOT a requirement for the vast majority of architecture courses. It is better for the OP to choose subjects that they are interested in and will get the best grades.
An A or B in psychology is a lot more beneficial to an architecture application (and will give an applicant more options)
than a C or D in maths or physics.

The misinformation and myth that architecture degrees are a branch of engineering with similar subject requirements is nonsense. It’s a creative design based degree and career.
Original post by PQ
The misinformation and myth that architecture degrees are a branch of engineering with similar subject requirements is nonsense. It’s a creative design based degree and career.

Unfortunately on TSR, the Architecture, Building and Planning forum is listed as a sub forum of Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths university courses, hence perpetuating the myth. Perhaps a move is in order?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending