The Student Room Group

Does anyone actually get enough sleep? (8,9 hours etc)

Idk anyone that actually gets enough/good sleep.

I myself only get like 5 (sleep at 2-3, wake up at 7-8)

If you do get enough sleep, what do you do, like whats ur routine?

I get carried away with my phone too much, scrolling through social media too much etc.
I do. I don't do anything special to achieve this though. I just have the discipline to go to bed a reasonable amount of hours before my alarm is due to go off.
I normally do, but sometimes definitely get less sleep than planned. I don't often wake up feeling completely refreshed, even with 8/9 hours of sleep :lol: Normally go to bed about 11 and get up 7 or 8, depending on what I have on that day. But sometimes e.g. at the weekend could go to bed at 11/12 and not get up until 10, still not always feeling that refreshed :lol: the best feeling is when there's not too much on in the day or not having to rush to get up :love:
Original post by Anonymous

I get carried away with my phone too much, scrolling through social media too much etc.

Hi!

I would say that I personally get 8 hours of sleep a night unless I go out. But I think this is because I make sure I have a productive day to get myself tired. So, I usually wake up at 7 and go straight to the gym and this wakes me up for the day, so when I come back I discipline myself to do work. I found it really helpful to make a weekly calendar for myself to stay on track. Don't get me wrong I do have breaks on my phone, which I'll do every half hour but only for about 5 or 10 minutes at a time. Evenings are pretty chill where I spend time doing what I want. But I find that this relaxes me.

I know people who do struggle and they say lavender helps or stretching before bed, also avoiding their phone.

I hope this helps!
Best wishes
Chloe - Official Student Rep :smile:

I have the same habit as you, it's especially gotten worsen when I went to university from all the staying up with friends and flatmates, being lazy etc. But then I started going gym with two of my friends and we always get up at 7/8 and go gym regardless of what time we slept the day before. That commitment helps alot and the accountability as well to be on time with you friends makes you get up. I can't just say no to the gym bc my friends would hold me accountable in that sense.

Going gym exhausts you and this helped me eat breakfast, lunch and dinner on time and not at random times of the day or not eat at all. Having physical exercise at a specific time consistently over a period has helped me readjust your sleep schedule. By 7pm I eat dinner and by 11pm/12am I want to sleep. You might feel like a bus ran over you for the first week, but it gets easier over time.
Reply 5

yes. around 9-11h atm.
i don't really have a routine tbh. usually i just take my sleep meds and waste my time on the internet until i fall asleep, lol
Reply 6
I think the key is just to tire yourself out enough in the day (I can never sleep when I've just been sat around all day!). When I'm working, I'm always exhausted by about 7pm, so I usually get about 8 hours sleep total between 8pm and 6am split into 2 parts with a couple of hours productivity in the middle of the night. It's unconventional, but it actually works quite well for me since I'm too tired to work or do anything at 8pm, but have enough energy restored by about 1am to get some stuff done in peace :smile:
No, I get about 5 but still feel exhausted. Sleep around 1/2am and wake up for 6. Partly needing to get ready with skincare and makeup etc. I can’t sleep earlier because life is so busy with obligations I need to ‘reclaim’ some of my time to myself not labouring/surviving. It’s like revenge staying up (to my own detriment 😂) but no regrets. I think going into work is the waste of time, I could save 3 hours of my life every day doing it from home.
Reply 8
7 ish, usually
Reply 9
I work 9-5 so I don't really have the option of going to the gym in the morning (18 and no car), so I just wake up and get ready.

I sit on my ass all day so I don't really get that tired once I finish. I normally come home and just vibe till 1-2 and go to bed.

Yes.

Sometimes I do use my phone and get very few hours of sleep. Normally, I go to sleep at 10, wake up at 7, which isn't by any means difficult to achieve. I don't do anything special to make this happen.

Hi, my sleep schedule isn't great to really give much advice on but I average about 7 to 7.30 hours a night and actually that's what my Fitbit recommended for me recently anyway. You require less sleep as you get older too btw so generally children and teens sleep a lot more than older adults do so keep that in mind.

I will never allow myself to go to sleep past midnight. That is my absolute cut off. I will only go to sleep later than that during holidays or annual leave. There are times where I sleep at like quarter to midnight but most of the time, my goal is to be in bed by 9 or at least going to sleep by 10:30pm. I have an alarm on my phone to go off at 9pm to tell me it's getting near bedtime.

All of my devices automatically, according to when the sun sets, will turn their blue light off gradually or reduce it and I think that's helped hugely. I highly recommend setting that up on your phone and computer, most devices have stuff like that built in (it's called night light on windows). I set my phone to turn itself off and on again each night too (off at around 1am and on again near my time to wake up). This saves power but also it's good for your phone to turn it off once in a while. This also makes it harder for me to look at my phone very late at night or early morning when I should be sleeping.

The best thing though is to make a routine and stick to it, even on weekends, which isn't easy. My Fitbit recommended getting ready for bed at 9:45pm to be in bed by 10:15pm which I agree with. By getting ready, they mean getting into your pyjamas, making a hot drink, getting into bed or having a hot bath. Think of your bed time routine as a bit of a pamper, self care session. :smile:

Your main problem is going to bed way too late, so bring that back down by increments or tell yourself your absolute cut off time is midnight and have your phone turn off by then and you've already given yourself an extra 2-3 hours of sleep.
(edited 2 years ago)

not at all, I usually end up scrolling on tiktok for hours. :frown:
Original post by lcvedingdong
not at all, I usually end up scrolling on tiktok for hours. :frown:

this

Quick Reply

Latest