The Student Room Group

Pharmacy for me?

Hi there
I'm a mature student currently studying an Access course in science.

Chemistry is defo not my strongest subject. After going back into education it's been pretty tough esp with Chem (a lot of stuff I haven't learnt before).

I'm interested in applying for Pharmacy mainly because of the work aspect; seems pretty good and decent money. But as I've mentioned I think I'll struggle but is there hope?

Otherwise I was thinking of doing Radiography since it's still a healthcare profession and relatively easier to get into.

Any help from anyone on here would be great. I dunno what to do and what to apply for esp with UCAS deadline in about 10 days.

Also if I do apply for pharmacy and don't get in, can I get into radiography by clearing?

Thanks in advance

#pharmacy #radiography #access course
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Mr.Indecisive
Hi there

Chemistry is defo not my strongest subject. After going back into education it's been pretty tough esp with Chem (a lot of stuff I haven't learnt before).

I'm interested in applying for Pharmacy mainly because of the work aspect; seems pretty good and decent money. But as I've mentioned I think I'll struggle but is there hope?

Otherwise I was thinking of doing Radiography since it's still a healthcare profession and relatively easier to get into.

Any help from anyone on here would be great. I dunno what to do and what to apply for esp with UCAS deadline in about 10 days.

Also if I do apply for pharmacy and don't get in, can I get into radiography by clearing?

Thanks in advance

Pharmacy is heavy chemistry related, I would suggest pursuing radiography if you don’t have a particular passion for chemistry and struggle at it
Original post by ashvinsingh
Pharmacy is heavy chemistry related, I would suggest pursuing radiography if you don’t have a particular passion for chemistry and struggle at it

Ah okay thanks

What do you study and do you know the answer to my last question. Thanks
Ah okay thanks

What do you study and do you know the answer to my last question. Thanks

I’m in y13 doing maths chem bio wanting to do pharmacy, the chemistry in pharmacy is harder than at a level. Umm I believe you can but I wouldn’t recommend betting on the chance you’ll get in through clearing, decide what course is for you then pick unis so you can secure good accomodation etc
I’m in y13 doing maths chem bio wanting to do pharmacy, the chemistry in pharmacy is harder than at a level. Umm I believe you can but I wouldn’t recommend betting on the chance you’ll get in through clearing, decide what course is for you then pick unis so you can secure good accomodation etc

Would it be risky to apply for both pharmacy and radiography with one personal statement. So if I don't get into pharmacy I'll go for radiography (hoping that I do get into that at least).

Thoughts?
Would it be risky to apply for both pharmacy and radiography with one personal statement. So if I don't get into pharmacy I'll go for radiography (hoping that I do get into that at least).

Thoughts?

Depends, if you say blah blah is good for pharmacy but blah blah is good for radiology it might not be the best idea, you can apply for radiology with a pharmacy tailored personal statement, but think about what you’d rather actually be doing as a job.
Hi there

Thanks in advance

Also I don’t believe you’d be able to do pharmacy as it requires A level chemistry, there may be a few exceptions
Also I don’t believe you’d be able to do pharmacy as it requires A level chemistry, there may be a few exceptions

Some unis do accept access. Loads have gone into complete the MPharm course
Some unis do accept access. Loads have gone into complete the MPharm course

Oh my bad cool, I’d say you could apply for both but have like 3 pharmacy 2 radiology
Hi there

Thanks in advance

Hey, I’ve just finished 5 years of pharmacy school. Whilst it is important to be able to grasp the understanding of chemistry etc. you don’t need much detailed knowledge, it’s not heavily based on chemistry. It’s more anatomy and how the drugs will influence the body processes. If you want to do pharmacy, I’d say best thing is… research unis and the modules they teach. That should give u an insight into what the programmes offer.

My friends, no disrespect to them whatsoever, got into pharmacy school via clearing with just btecs. Yet they’ve smashed their degrees and have all achieved Really high marks. Essentially it comes down to you as a person, as you can do anything and everything as long as you’re hardworking and ready to commit urself to learning.
in first year pharmacy the chem is definitely a step up from alevels
Original post by planktion34
in first year pharmacy the chem is definitely a step up from alevels

I struggle with organic chemistry a lot. Is that a sign to just go for radiography.

Also which uni do you go to. Herts by any chance?
I struggle with organic chemistry a lot. Is that a sign to just go for radiography.

Also which uni do you go to. Herts by any chance?

organic chem is pretty much 99% of the chem modules, even the biology ones tbh too
im from one of the london unis
Original post by planktion34
organic chem is pretty much 99% of the chem modules, even the biology ones tbh too
im from one of the london unis

Hmm okay that's really got me thinking.
Don't want to risk it and not get into uni and waste another year esp as a mature student.

I'll drop a chemistry unit and do an extra physics and apply for radiography then
Hmm okay that's really got me thinking.
Don't want to risk it and not get into uni and waste another year esp as a mature student.

I'll drop a chemistry unit and do an extra physics and apply for radiography then

i mean the chem is doable but if you hate chem then that would be a problem, i like chem even though it's not my strongest subject so idm the modules
if you like the subject that's all that matters
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending