The Student Room Group

Lancaster vs Loughborough vs Sheffield as my safety pick? (comp sci)

Title says all. I care a fair bit about location and social aspects, teaching quality matters too ofc. Happy to answer any questions!
Reply 1
What would the grade requirements be for each university?
Original post by IJaguar
What would the grade requirements be for each university?

All are AAB ish, if I remember correctly.
Original post by anonymous_lion
Title says all. I care a fair bit about location and social aspects, teaching quality matters too ofc. Happy to answer any questions!

Rather than make people ask questions about your grades, predictions, offers, your firm etc, it would help if you told us first.
I applied quite recently so no offers as of yet (fingers crossed). A*A*A. Have applied to Imperial, Bath, Bristol and Edinburgh, and would be happy going to any of those 4, though I'll have to hit those grades in Summer, agh!
I applied quite recently so no offers as of yet (fingers crossed). A*A*A. Have applied to Imperial, Bath, Bristol and Edinburgh, and would be happy going to any of those 4, though I'll have to hit those grades in Summer, agh!

How much does the environment matter for your insurance?
I picked my current 4 applications heavily based on how much I reckon I'd enjoy my time there, as well as reputation, though I think for my insurance I'm slightly more weighted towards reputation. Hopefully I won't have to go with my insurance in the end (though all the Unis mentioned are excellent), but I worked very hard to get my grades up and don't want to waste my potential so to speak.
I picked my current 4 applications heavily based on how much I reckon I'd enjoy my time there, as well as reputation, though I think for my insurance I'm slightly more weighted towards reputation. Hopefully I won't have to go with my insurance in the end (though all the Unis mentioned are excellent), but I worked very hard to get my grades up and don't want to waste my potential so to speak.

Hi @anonymous_lion,

I would recommend also choosing your insurance based on how much you'd enjoy your time there. If, for whatever reason, you end up at your insurance choice I think your enjoyment of the university will be more important than the reputation, especially as all your insurance choices are highly respected institutions.

To help your choice I would recommend going to an open day. If you physically can't be there I assume there will be online equivalents held, I know there definitely is for Lancaster.

I would also like to say, whichever university you end up going to, may that be first choice or insurance, you will not be wasting your potential anywhere. From my perspective, university is as much about finding yourself as it is to getting the grades. Every aspect of the university experience is worth considering when making your decision.

Hope this helps and good luck,
Jake (final year at Lancaster University)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending