The Student Room Group

WHICH UNIIII---->>Warwick/Glasgow/Kings/Cass(Bayes)/Bristol

Hello,
I've picked UG course Accounting and finance in Bristol, Kings, Warwick, Glasgow and opted for Finance with Actuarial Science in City university. I want to break into IB and PE as I graduate so please help in picking the best university for Accounting and finance where -
Accreditations are available
Summer internships are offered
Spring week to get experience.
Professional placements are offered

Glasgow is a 4-year course without professional placement. Although for accounting and finance Glasgow has topped Guardians Magazine chart which attracts me to it. A few things more to note is that kings college doesn't offer many accreditations and neither professional placements. But it does have more focus on the finance field rather than accounting and has much-refined course modules than others.

Warwick has good accreditations and also has covered some relative courses regarding the CFA charter which I wanna pursue in future.
Warwick would be your best bet if you want to work in IBD.

Spring weeks and summer internships are not something that's offered by universities, rather something that you have to seek out yourself - however, I will say that in one of my Assessment Centres for one of the top Bulge Bracket banks, there was a girl from City UoL (Bayes') (Wholesale Payments & Corporate Banking), so it's not impossible to get into it from whichever university you choose to attend.

Warwick is definitely the easiest option in terms of getting those initial interviews, although Bayes' course looks more interesting (to me at least).

I would note that only Glasgow, Warwick, and Bayes' are triple crown accredited, if that matters to you.
Original post by econhelp525
Warwick would be your best bet if you want to work in IBD.

Spring weeks and summer internships are not something that's offered by universities, rather something that you have to seek out yourself - however, I will say that in one of my Assessment Centres for one of the top Bulge Bracket banks, there was a girl from City UoL (Bayes') (Wholesale Payments & Corporate Banking), so it's not impossible to get into it from whichever university you choose to attend.

Warwick is definitely the easiest option in terms of getting those initial interviews, although Bayes' course looks more interesting (to me at least).

I would note that only Glasgow, Warwick, and Bayes' are triple crown accredited, if that matters to you.

thanks a lot i'll consider ur advice in my final decision
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by _invictus_morior
Hello,
I've picked UG course Accounting and finance in Bristol, Kings, Warwick, Glasgow and opted for Finance with Actuarial Science in City university. I want to break into IB and PE as I graduate so please help in picking the best university for Accounting and finance where -

Glasgow is a 4-year course without professional placement. Although for accounting and finance Glasgow has topped Guardians Magazine chart which attracts me to it. A few things more to note is that kings college doesn't offer many accreditations and neither professional placements. But it does have more focus on the finance field rather than accounting and has much-refined course modules than others.

Warwick has good accreditations and also has covered some relative courses regarding the CFA charter which I wanna pursue in future.

What are your career ambitions? How good are you at maths? The course at City looks very different to the other ones. Nothing wrong with that but I'm a bit concerned that A+F may not be what you are looking for (most courses don't really do the same as half a proper finance degree at - say - LSE). How good at maths are you? As you've noted the course at Kings may be a bit of an outlier in this respect. Possibly Bristol too.

Just to be a bit cautious regarding your list of 'wants':

Its pretty hard to find an A+F degree which doesnt talk of its accreditations. These are basically meaningless. Exemptions from professional exams can be important depending on your aspirations. Kings may be an issue in this respect - I cant find if you can get many if any ACCA exemptions.

Universities don't really offer summer internships - employers do. I think City may have some work experience schemes which are pretty unusual but don't know much about them.

Again - not something offered by universities but by companies and only really a 'thing' for banking and consultancy.

Check which courses offer years in industry - but be aware - the university may help with advice on how to apply but you have to apply and get the job. The university doesn't hand them out as part of the course. No guarantee at all that you would get a position you want if you get one at all.
Original post by _invictus_morior
Hello,

Hi there,

To introduce myself I'm Joao. In my final year studying BSc Economics at Surrey University, I am working as a Campus Ambassador for JP Morgan. I recently finished my one-year industrial placement as an Economist for the British Government's Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra). I also had the opportunity to work as a Private Secretary to the Minister of Environment and Biosecurity.

I can understand your dilemma as I went through the same thing when deciding on a university to attend. It's great that you already know the fields you're interested in, as that narrows it down quite a bit. It helped me decide what cities I wanted to attend university in. I found that the university itself does not just determine university experience and performance, but the surrounding area as that is a 3-4yr commitment. It might also be helpful for you to work up a 'priority list' for your dream university, including factors such as tuition fees, the cost of living, ranking, distance from home, campus-style, proximity to a city centre, surrounding area, diversity, job prospects, networking opportunities, course modules, student-staff ratio, etc.

Here are some valuable links to compare university degrees:

- https://universitycompare.com/
- https://www.whatuni.com/
- https://discoveruni.gov.uk/

And once you've narrowed it down and utilized tools such as UCAS, you can always head over to the specific university websites and look over the course outline and modules as well as the learning, teaching and assessment information to see what best suits you.

I hope this has helped.

Joao
Economics
Original post by University of Surrey Student Rep
Hi there,

To introduce myself I'm Joao. In my final year studying BSc Economics at Surrey University, I am working as a Campus Ambassador for JP Morgan. I recently finished my one-year industrial placement as an Economist for the British Government's Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra). I also had the opportunity to work as a Private Secretary to the Minister of Environment and Biosecurity.

I can understand your dilemma as I went through the same thing when deciding on a university to attend. It's great that you already know the fields you're interested in, as that narrows it down quite a bit. It helped me decide what cities I wanted to attend university in. I found that the university itself does not just determine university experience and performance, but the surrounding area as that is a 3-4yr commitment. It might also be helpful for you to work up a 'priority list' for your dream university, including factors such as tuition fees, the cost of living, ranking, distance from home, campus-style, proximity to a city centre, surrounding area, diversity, job prospects, networking opportunities, course modules, student-staff ratio, etc.

Here are some valuable links to compare university degrees:

- https://universitycompare.com/
- https://www.whatuni.com/
- https://discoveruni.gov.uk/

And once you've narrowed it down and utilized tools such as UCAS, you can always head over to the specific university websites and look over the course outline and modules as well as the learning, teaching and assessment information to see what best suits you.

I hope this has helped.

Joao
Economics

Thanks great advice..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending