The Student Room Group

Typing in exams

Is it easy to get permission to use a computer to type your A-Level exams? What must one do? A few teachers say my handwriting can sometimes become illegible during exam situations.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
They’re usually only allowed if you have a medical condition that makes writing hard or impossible.
Reply 2
Original post by jayls
They’re usually only allowed if you have a medical condition that makes writing hard or impossible.

Do you know if it's up to the school or the exam board?
some people in my school type because their handwriting is really bad i dont think its only for medical reasons
Reply 4
Original post by succubus666
some people in my school type because their handwriting is really bad i dont think its only for medical reasons

Maybe it was just my school that was strict about that then. Mine definitely didn’t let people with bad handwriting type.
Original post by jayls
Maybe it was just my school that was strict about that then. Mine definitely didn’t let people with bad handwriting type.

perhaps, but if your handwriting is genuinely illegible then how will examiners read it? unfair to be honest, your school should change that
(edited 2 years ago)
perhaps, but if your handwriting is genuinely illegible then how will examiners read it? unfair to be honest, your school should change that

Too bad.

It is the students' responsibility to make their handwriting legible. Bar some sort of disability, it's their own fault.
Original post by Sabertooth
Too bad.

It is the students' responsibility to make their handwriting legible. Bar some sort of disability, it's their own fault.

sounds ignorant, it is hard for some people to improve their handwriting it may not be as easy as you think it is. my handwriting is pretty bad but people are still able to read it and even i tried to make it neat but i cant. sometimes people cant help it
Reply 8
If you habitually use a word processor for extended writing then you can use one in exams. The centre does not need to get permission from the exam board. No evidence of a disability is needed.
(edited 2 years ago)
sounds ignorant, it is hard for some people to improve their handwriting it may not be as easy as you think it is. my handwriting is pretty bad but people are still able to read it and even i tried to make it neat but i cant. sometimes people cant help it

Bull****.
Bull****.

just because you may not have that problem its easy for you to say so, dont comment on what other people cant help, thats bull****
just because you may not have that problem its easy for you to say so, dont comment on what other people cant help, thats bull****

Typing is faster and it is unfair to give that advantage to people who are too lazy to work on their handwriting.
Typing is faster and it is unfair to give that advantage to people who are too lazy to work on their handwriting.

LOL no not really, there are people who type in my class and i literally finish before them, there are fast writers too, isnt that unfair?
If you've got through at least 2 schools without learning to write legibly.. well, without genuine physical or development problems that should have been ID'd far earlier... it sure does sound a lot like BS laziness.
LOL no not really, there are people who type in my class and i literally finish before them, there are fast writers too, isnt that unfair?

But you just said you have problems making your fast writing legible.
But you just said you have problems making your fast writing legible.

that was before when i tried to improve my handwriting but i couldnt so i write how i normally do but my handwriting isnt terrible it is still legible to my teachers which is the important thing but to my friends i dont really care as much
that was before when i tried to improve my handwriting but i couldnt so i write how i normally do but my handwriting isnt terrible it is still legible to my teachers which is the important thing but to my friends i dont really care as much

But you said some people can't help it. Yet now you're saying you can write legibly when necessary but not if it's just to a friend. That shows a degree of control over legibility. :wizard:
But you said some people can't help it. Yet now you're saying you can write legibly when necessary but not if it's just to a friend. That shows a degree of control over legibility. :wizard:

no you dont understand what im saying. my handwriting is legible to SOME people, of course everyone perceives it differently for example my teachers have no issue reading it whilst if i show it to someone else they may struggle. its not "when necessary" its simply how people view and comprehend what i write.

Then I propose everyone should be able to type
no you dont understand what im saying. my handwriting is legible to SOME people, of course everyone perceives it differently for example my teachers have no issue reading it whilst if i show it to someone else they may struggle. its not "when necessary" its simply how people view and comprehend what i write.

The common denominator here is you. It's your responsibility.

Original post by The RAR
Then I propose everyone should be able to type

I would actually be ok with that

Quick Reply

Latest