The Student Room Group

Financial support for a 2nd masters degree

Hello,

I have a BA in Archaeology and a masters in Heritage management. My first degree was partly funded by SFE and the masters degree was paid for via scholarship by my university. I have never received funding for a masters degree from SFE.

I have gone back to uni and currently studying Nursing mental health and I am interested in following this on with a masters degree in Psychology.

Can i apply for a masters degree for the second masters as i did not receive funding from SFE for the first one and the second one falls under health and medicine.

I was told a few years ago funding for a second masters degree is possible if it falls into certain categories like the 2nd funding for undergraduate degrees for nursing etc if you already have a degree. Is this the same for masters degrees?

Many thanks,
Original post by Lmfletcher19
Hello,

I have a BA in Archaeology and a masters in Heritage management. My first degree was partly funded by SFE and the masters degree was paid for via scholarship by my university. I have never received funding for a masters degree from SFE.

I have gone back to uni and currently studying Nursing mental health and I am interested in following this on with a masters degree in Psychology.

Can i apply for a masters degree for the second masters as i did not receive funding from SFE for the first one and the second one falls under health and medicine.

I was told a few years ago funding for a second masters degree is possible if it falls into certain categories like the 2nd funding for undergraduate degrees for nursing etc if you already have a degree. Is this the same for masters degrees?

Many thanks,

Hi there, we look at previous study not previous funding.

You can not be funded for a second postgraduate degree unfortunately, the exception to this rule are postgraduate healthcare courses. Psychology is not a postgraduate healthcare course though.

Thanks, Isaac
Original post by SFE Isaac
Hi there, we look at previous study not previous funding.

You can not be funded for a second postgraduate degree unfortunately, the exception to this rule are postgraduate healthcare courses. Psychology is not a postgraduate healthcare course though.

Thanks, Isaac

Hi there,

Thanks for replying ! So if I did a postgraduate health care course like a masters then I would be able to with funding from SFE?

For example any of the following masters degree's;

MA Social Work L508
York St John Occupational Therapy MSc
Hull University Social Work MA

(edited 2 years ago)
Hi there,

Thanks for replying ! So if I did a postgraduate health care course like a masters then I would be able to with funding from SFE?

For example any of the following masters degree's;

MA Social Work L508
York St John Occupational Therapy MSc
Hull University Social Work MA

Social work is not a postgraduate healthcare course.

You can be funded for the occupational therapy course. You can receive undergraduate funding for a postgraduate healthcare course.

Thanks, Isaac
Original post by SFE Isaac
Social work is not a postgraduate healthcare course.

You can be funded for the occupational therapy course. You can receive undergraduate funding for a postgraduate healthcare course.

Thanks, Isaac

Would a phd be funded ?

I am just trying to get my head around what I can do after my mental health nursing degree as I want to carry on studying neuro and cognitive for mental health illness. Which will obviously be under psychology .

To study an exempt course what are the categories because on the HCPC website pratictioner psychology is on the list with all the other exempt courses. So if it is on their own website would that then mean it’s exempt ? How do we know which courses are exempt or not. Is there a data base we can use to search or is it if it’s approved by hcpc

https://www.hcpc-uk.org/education/approved-programmes/

Many thanks

Many thanks :smile:
(edited 2 years ago)
Would a phd be funded ?

I am just trying to get my head around what I can do after my mental health nursing degree as I want to carry on studying neuro and cognitive for mental health illness. Which will obviously be under psychology .

To study an exempt course what are the categories because on the HCPC website pratictioner psychology is on the list with all the other exempt courses. So if it is on their own website would that then mean it’s exempt ? How do we know which courses are exempt or not. Is there a data base we can use to search or is it if it’s approved by hcpc

https://www.hcpc-uk.org/education/approved-programmes/

Many thanks

Many thanks :smile:

A PHD is higher than a masters qualification, so as long as you have not studied a level 8 qualification before, then you can be entitled to receive postgraduate doctoral funding for the phd.

https://www.hcpc-uk.org/education/approved-programmes/ is a good website to see AHP courses. I always advise on this website for undergraduate courses, I'm not sure if it's reliable for postgraduate.

A general list as per our guidance:

For a student to be classed as Allied Health Professional they will need to be studying a course from the list below:
Chiropody
Dietetics
Dietetics and Nutrition (The individual course nutrition is not a valid AHP course)
Occupational Therapy
Operating Department Practice (Diplomas and Degrees)
Orthoptics
Physiotherapy
Podiatry
Prosthetics and Orthotics
Radiography
Radiotherapy
Speech and Language Therapy

If it's not on this list then we can check the course database to confirm if it's an exception course or not.

Thanks, Isaac
HiHope it is ok to piggy back on this discussion.I have recently completed a MSc in Psyhcology with the intention of applying for the health psychology professional doctorate.However an oversight by myself is that they require you to undertake the specific MSc in Health Psychology as Stage 1.Would I be eligible for finance for the new course?Thanks

Latest

Trending

Trending