The Student Room Group

A Level Choices Help!

So I currently do Eng Lit, History, Politics, Art and an EPQ. I’m really struggling with the workload so I want to drop a subject. I love Eng and Politics so it’s really out of History and Art. I love Art and it’s something I would like to do in the future, but not at university (but the A Level is still super valuable in developing my skills and is helpful if I want to go into an art career later). I am not enjoying History that much, I’m fine with the essays but I find the content really hard. But, I really want to get into a prestigious uni (plan is to achieve at least two A* !) and I know that unis favour History over Art. I’m behind in my History course but could catch up probably, I just find it boring and I really love Art so it’s such a difficult choice. Please can I have some advice ?! Any would be appreciated :smile:

Also, would doing English Literature, Politics and Art and Design affect my chances of getting into Cambridge at all? Thank you!
Reply 1
What course do you want to do at Cambridge?

Does your school do AS levels? If so, it might be worth keeping History until the end of the year, so you can at least get something out of it; of course, only do this if it isn't going to damage your grades in other subjects.

From what you've said, I think if you're going to drop one, it should be history; if you want to do art in the future, you'll probably want to keep it up in some form anyway, so dropping the A level might not reduce your workload that much.
Reply 2
Original post by moappa
So I currently do Eng Lit, History, Politics, Art and an EPQ. I’m really struggling with the workload so I want to drop a subject. I love Eng and Politics so it’s really out of History and Art. I love Art and it’s something I would like to do in the future, but not at university (but the A Level is still super valuable in developing my skills and is helpful if I want to go into an art career later). I am not enjoying History that much, I’m fine with the essays but I find the content really hard. But, I really want to get into a prestigious uni (plan is to achieve at least two A* !) and I know that unis favour History over Art. I’m behind in my History course but could catch up probably, I just find it boring and I really love Art so it’s such a difficult choice. Please can I have some advice ?! Any would be appreciated :smile:

Also, would doing English Literature, Politics and Art and Design affect my chances of getting into Cambridge at all? Thank you!

i'd say stick with all 4 until easter! that gives you more time to adjust. i didn't let myself adjust to 4 and dropped one quickly.
Reply 3
Original post by Zuvio
What course do you want to do at Cambridge?

Does your school do AS levels? If so, it might be worth keeping History until the end of the year, so you can at least get something out of it; of course, only do this if it isn't going to damage your grades in other subjects.

From what you've said, I think if you're going to drop one, it should be history; if you want to do art in the future, you'll probably want to keep it up in some form anyway, so dropping the A level might not reduce your workload that much.

i’m interested in either english or human, social and political sciences at Cambridge!

My school unfortunately doesn’t do AS Levels which is really annoying because I definitely would’ve done one for AS. If I dropped History and just did English Lit, Art and Politics + EPQ, would it hinder my chances in applying for a Russel Group Uni/ Cambridge? I do extra curriculars too, if that helps? If it won’t, I’ll definitely drop History and continue with Art, I just don’t want to mess up my chances. :smile:

Thanks so much for your reply!
Reply 4
Original post by avery_
i'd say stick with all 4 until easter! that gives you more time to adjust. i didn't let myself adjust to 4 and dropped one quickly.

Thank you for the reply !!

the thing is, easter is super far away and i’m worried doing all these subjects is going to affect my grades if I don’t drop one ASAP. my friend who was doing 4 levels has recently dropped one because of the stress, and I think it’s definitely what I need to do if I don’t want to collapse under the a level workload. any thoughts ? :frown:
Reply 5
Original post by moappa
i’m interested in either english or human, social and political sciences at Cambridge!

My school unfortunately doesn’t do AS Levels which is really annoying because I definitely would’ve done one for AS. If I dropped History and just did English Lit, Art and Politics + EPQ, would it hinder my chances in applying for a Russel Group Uni/ Cambridge? I do extra curriculars too, if that helps? If it won’t, I’ll definitely drop History and continue with Art, I just don’t want to mess up my chances. :smile:

Thanks so much for your reply!

Extra curriculars probably won't count unless they are directly relevant to the subject. However, I think you would still be fine getting into Cambridge or another Russel Group uni with just those 3 A Levels, particularly if your EPQ is relevant to the area you want to study. If keeping History is going to damage your other grades, then it's definitely better to drop it.
(edited 2 years ago)
I think art is fairly valued as it makes you a bit different on the application!! I got into a biology degree (and a masters) with a level biology, maths, and fine art. I like to think I stood out and I love art, so if you enjoy art over history I’d say drop history! I also dropped a 4th subject and wish I’d done it sooner, so depends on how you’re feeling tbh
Reply 7
Original post by hazisgolden
I think art is fairly valued as it makes you a bit different on the application!! I got into a biology degree (and a masters) with a level biology, maths, and fine art. I like to think I stood out and I love art, so if you enjoy art over history I’d say drop history! I also dropped a 4th subject and wish I’d done it sooner, so depends on how you’re feeling tbh

hi there, thanks for the reply! do you think that doing only 1 facilitating subject (eng lit, politics, art) if i’m applying or english will put me at disadvantage? do you think doing 2 facilitating subjects put you at an advantage? thank you :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by moappa

drop the epq. biggest waste of time. also if your not enjoying history id say drio it bc its really hard to stay on top of it even if youre fine with the essays now.
Original post by moappa
hi there, thanks for the reply! do you think that doing only 1 facilitating subject (eng lit, politics, art) if i’m applying or english will put me at disadvantage? do you think doing 2 facilitating subjects put you at an advantage? thank you :smile:

The concept of facilitating subjects has not been used for several years due to misconceptions such as this.

Your subjects are fine with or without history.
Original post by moappa
Thank you for the reply !!

the thing is, easter is super far away and i’m worried doing all these subjects is going to affect my grades if I don’t drop one ASAP. my friend who was doing 4 levels has recently dropped one because of the stress, and I think it’s definitely what I need to do if I don’t want to collapse under the a level workload. any thoughts ? :frown:

4 A levels and an EPQ is crazy - drop History.
Original post by moappa

Faciltating subjet aren't a 'thing' anymore ... RG invented them and don't recognise them now!
Reply 12
Original post by artful_lounger
The concept of facilitating subjects has not been used for several years due to misconceptions such as this.

Your subjects are fine with or without history.

hi there! thanks for the reply. i had no idea they stopped using the term facilitating subjects - my school was very adamant about having 2 when we were deciding a level options, i think their sources must be outdated. thank you very much for your help. i will most probably drop history :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by en8827
drop the epq. biggest waste of time. also if your not enjoying history id say drio it bc its really hard to stay on top of it even if youre fine with the essays now.

hi there, thanks for the reply. in my school epq’s are compulsory so i can’t drop it, but i’m fine doing it :smile: yep, i think that’s the general consensus - ill most likely drop history. thank you!
Reply 14
Original post by Muttley79
4 A levels and an EPQ is crazy - drop History.

Faciltating subjet aren't a 'thing' anymore ... RG invented them and don't recognise them now!

thank you for the reply!! yeah, i know it’s too much. i’m most likely going to drop history. i also didn’t know that facilitating have stopped been recognised as such, that’s super helpful to know so thank you :smile:
Original post by moappa
thank you for the reply!! yeah, i know it’s too much. i’m most likely going to drop history. i also didn’t know that facilitating have stopped been recognised as such, that’s super helpful to know so thank you :smile:

Just check the requirements of any degree you are considering
:smile:
Reply 16
Just check the requirements of any degree you are considering
:smile:

all i need for english is well… english :smile: at least i’ve got that down! i suppose i don’t need history after all. thank you so much for your help !!

Quick Reply

Latest