The Student Room Group

Should I quit my job for my a levels?

I currently work at Tesco’s and am contracted 15 hours a week but generally end up working more than that, every time I ask them to lower my hours back to my contracted ones they say they can’t as they would have to take it to the manager. I’m also in year 12 doing my a levels and doing revision and coursework is hard when I’m working 3-4 days after school (5-9:45) and then usually both a Saturday and Sunday on the weekend. I literally have no time for myself except for frees at school but I have to use them to study obviously.
However the money is pretty good and I want to save for a car when I turn 17. I also would feel weird about it as I’ve just been put onto a permanent contract from the temporary one I was on since august. Also I like the people at work, but I think it’s just because I like one of the boys haha.
What should I dooo?!
could you ask your manager directly? because 15 hours does seem like quite a lot. if you truly feel like you can manage it then maybe you could continue for a while. but honestly, if you don't have enough free time to rest and recuperate then i think reducing your hours would be for the best. if they truly cannot accommodate reduced hours, would you be willing to stop working? -as this might be the best next option
(edited 2 years ago)
"Then can you take it to the manager, please? Or should I contact them directly?" I'm not sure why them saying they can't reduce your hours means you think nobody can.
I personally would quit. Your A Level results will have a big impact on the rest of your life and I personally think that a temporary job and wanting to earn money for something like a car at your age is less essential than doing well in your exams (but my parents did pay for my clothes etc. when I was that age so I didn't need to work to pay for things - if yours don't, that is a different situation and it may be best to speak to your manager about cutting down the number of hours).
Original post by amyywaringg
I currently work at Tesco’s and am contracted 15 hours a week but generally end up working more than that, every time I ask them to lower my hours back to my contracted ones they say they can’t as they would have to take it to the manager. I’m also in year 12 doing my a levels and doing revision and coursework is hard when I’m working 3-4 days after school (5-9:45) and then usually both a Saturday and Sunday on the weekend. I literally have no time for myself except for frees at school but I have to use them to study obviously.
However the money is pretty good and I want to save for a car when I turn 17. I also would feel weird about it as I’ve just been put onto a permanent contract from the temporary one I was on since august. Also I like the people at work, but I think it’s just because I like one of the boys haha.
What should I dooo?!

Hi

If you on a flexible contract with tesco then they will expect you to work basically when they want you to work,
If you are not got a flexible contract then they can't make you work anymore than your contractual hours stated in it.

You got a permanent contract you said but which type of contract you on as I said above you can't be made to work anymore than your contractual hours ok unless it's a flexible one.

If your manager of store won't sort it out then next option is contacting the Human Resource side and explain you want to only do your contractual hours only and no more untill perhaps school holidays okay.
Perhaps only working weekends would be best and concertrate in the week on schooling.
You won't be joined up to union but you are entitled to contact the USDAW ( main tesco union ) for advise as a employer on this.
Reply 5
Thanks everyone, we are getting a new manager for our department soon so I’ll speak to them about cutting down my hours. My supervisors have been pretty good and I’ve told them I don’t want to work Sundays as I’m not contracted to work them and they’ve finally listened to me.
What should I dooo?!

From what you've said it sounds like you do 30 hours a week at Tesco which is a lot ( or full-time.) Its good to socialize with who you found. My best advice is to go to the manager and have a discussion if you can lower the shift hours because you are doing really important studies. So I wouldn't quit right now unless you can't fit any time at home in for your A-levels.
What should I dooo?!

Id deffo push for less hours. Go to the manager, do whatever it takes.
Id try and keep the job though, because like you say, the money comes in useful (e.g. learning to drive) and you get a lot of extra skills and stuff from it which will help you with uni, future jobs etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending