The Student Room Group

Biomedicine or medicine?

I'm not in college yet but I want ask what Biomedicine is like and why I should/shouldn't take it and what I would need to enjoy and excel at it.

Scroll to see replies

anyone?
Original post by Blue_Bunny
I'm not in college yet but I want ask what Biomedicine is like and why I should/shouldn't take it and what I would need to enjoy and excel at it.

Only take it if you want to do GEM, it’s so geared towards GEM that it’s insufferable (mainly due to the content geared towards the medical school and the med school rejects egos) if you want to do science research.
Original post by Googley_eyes
Only take it if you want to do GEM, it’s so geared towards GEM that it’s insufferable (mainly due to the content geared towards the medical school and the med school rejects egos) if you want to do science research.

Graduate entry medicine is significantly more competitive than undergraduate medicine. Never do a degree with the sole aim of going into medicine as it's riskier, more expensive and you're highly likely to be rejected multiple times so be prepared to accept you won't get in.
(edited 2 years ago)
I thought I'd save you the job :biggrin: Literally thought of your responses I've seen multiple times on here.

The OP has validation now so hopefully will follow the advice.
I wasn't thinking about doing it to do GEM, you've mentioned before I shouldn't so definitely not doing it for that. I want to do it because the idea of research appeals to me and I wanted to have a career where I could research about different aspects of biology and conducts studies that could help within the medical field
Ahh sorry I didn't mean to confuse you, I just didn't know what to title it to get my point across but clearly I failed at doing that. But may I ask, why should someone do it even if they only have an 'inkling' of desire for it?
Original post by TriplexA
Graduate entry medicine is significantly more competitive than undergraduate medicine. Never do a degree with the sole aim of going into medicine as it's riskier, more expensive and you're highly likely to be rejected multiple times so be prepared to accept you won't get in.

I didn’t tell them to do GEM, I just said that’s the only reason why. Some people do chose GEM wanting to do a different undergrad but that is the minority. All I told them was it’s the course for GEM applicants.
Original post by Googley_eyes
I didn’t tell them to do GEM, I just said that’s the only reason why. Some people do chose GEM wanting to do a different undergrad but that is the minority. All I told them was it’s the course for GEM applicants.

Hi there

Yes, upon re-reading your message it didn't seem to be your intention however it was vague enough to misunderstand you as recommending doing biomedicine to do GEM. It's all ok though so don't worry about it now.

Sorry for the misunderstanding
Best wishes.
Would a gap year affect my chances of being accepted for medicine? Like would a Uni see it as something undesirable to have in a student because I've heard people taking them for a 'rest' but I'm assuming I'd use this gap year to get work experience and getting a feel for what the courses would be like
I asked my parents and they said gap years are only for people who didn't meet the required grades and they wouldn't allow me to do it because I was 'too smart' for that and what would people say etc. so if it isn't undesirable by Uni's, why is there stigma around it? idk if there is any data on this, but what proportion of high achieving students take a gap year anyway, especially when obtaining places at a Russel Uni?
I wasn't asking for the stigma to be justified but rather where the idea came from but i suppose "There are plenty, plenty of medicine misconceptions - e.g. you must do A-Level Chemistry, or doing biomed is absolutely fine as a backup for medicine, or that no med school accept A-Level retakes. They are usually outdated (but probably partially true) observations, many of which are now inaccurate" answers that. ik the med school rankings won't matter when you're in a clinic but wouldn't a Uni be competitive due to the high grades achieved and how well the students do after the course?
(edited 2 years ago)
Oh ok then. Well, I guess I'll just apply to medicine, a shame I won't be able to do some of my own scientific research as well because ik being a doctor in any speciality would be hectic
What does intercalate mean? If I did intercalate, would I continue to the additional degree at the same Uni or would I have to re-apply like I someone from collge normally would e.g. re-submit application, interview etc.
Oh I didn't know you could do that, it sounds really good. Are there any more resources I could use to learn more about this? And where can I find the list of available options of 'extra' degrees I could do after medicine?
I have another question, if you don't mind answering. Say if I got a degree in medicine, do I have to go into a career that in based in a clinic or are there other options available? Like could I do something that's related to biology e.g. biotechnology without taking a biomed course because as far as I know biomed focus' more on the science rather that patient interaction and hospital setting.
please could you give elaborate as to how I could combine research with clinical work because that sounds ideal.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending