The Student Room Group

How to talk to a guy you are interested in?

So school is nearly finishing in like a few months and I've had a crush on this guy for a couple of months. We've never spoken to each other, as I'm shy and he is definitely really shy too, but I always catch him staring at me...so idek. I want to talk to him but I'm so scared of rejection or him turning out to be really closed in, we have no classes together so I can't really get to know him through that.

Even if it doesn't progress into a friendship/ relationship I want to break out of that cycle of not talking to guys I'm interested out of fear and insecurity...any advice on how to break out of this? Is it too late to start talking to him especially since ending of sixth form/Alevels are not far away and I will probably never see him again due to uni etc.

I kinda want to get to know him, but we are both so shy...like he is so antisocial, I can tell we are similar in that aspect, so that's what draws him to me. But as someone who knows how to conceal who she likes and pretend not to like someone, it's hard for me to approach guys. I was thinking maybe before school ends for the break to try idek man, any advice 😭

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
So school is nearly finishing in like a few months and I've had a crush on this guy for a couple of months. We've never spoken to each other, as I'm shy and he is definitely really shy too, but I always catch him staring at me...so idek. I want to talk to him but I'm so scared of rejection or him turning out to be really closed in, we have no classes together so I can't really get to know him through that.

Even if it doesn't progress into a friendship/ relationship I want to break out of that cycle of not talking to guys I'm interested out of fear and insecurity...any advice on how to break out of this? Is it too late to start talking to him especially since ending of sixth form/Alevels are not far away and I will probably never see him again due to uni etc.

I kinda want to get to know him, but we are both so shy...like he is so antisocial, I can tell we are similar in that aspect, so that's what draws him to me. But as someone who knows how to conceal who she likes and pretend not to like someone, it's hard for me to approach guys. I was thinking maybe before school ends for the break to try idek man, any advice 😭

Last day of school make it personal for the both of you, inviting to hangout go for informal lunch/dinner or over milkshake and sit face to face and talk about how you felt for him and express your feelings and see how it progress from there shame I didn’t do the same with my high school crush 😂😂😂

U say to him "Heyy dude how r ur team doing? Mine is terrible right now despite some promise last season atm we r almost in the basement and if we don't start winning soon we will be in the RELEGATION ZONE :mad: with Watford and the Toon!"
Reply 3

On my last day of high school, some girl in my Spanish class literally walked up to me in the cafeteria and told me she had a crush on me for months. I had no idea at all, and at the time I had wished she told me sooner.

If you like someone, just muster up the courage to tell them. Ever since that day, it's been like carpe diem for me.
Original post by candydiva
U say to him "Heyy dude how r ur team doing? Mine is terrible right now despite some promise last season atm we r almost in the basement and if we don't start winning soon we will be in the RELEGATION ZONE :mad: with Watford and the Toon!"

Mine is outside the top 4 not competing for trophies and ruling the top of the league and we got West Ham tomorrow.
Reply 5
Last day of school make it personal for the both of you, inviting to hangout go for informal lunch/dinner or over milkshake and sit face to face and talk about how you felt for him and express your feelings and see how it progress from there shame I didn’t do the same with my high school crush 😂😂😂

I wish, it was so easy but maybe I should try
I wish, it was so easy but maybe I should try

Well worth ago you never know unless you don’t try.
Reply 7
Original post by Joel 96
On my last day of high school, some girl in my Spanish class literally walked up to me in the cafeteria and told me she had a crush on me for months. I had no idea at all, and at the time I had wished she told me sooner.

If you like someone, just muster up the courage to tell them. Ever since that day, it's been like carpe diem for me.

It's so hard my biggest fear is being rejected, I just don't how I will feel if they reject me. I have so much experiences with being rejected in other aspects, but I just can't get to terms with it in relationships. That's why I should probably just tell him lol, to overcome that fear
Reply 8
Well worth ago you never know unless you don’t try.

Any suggestions on how to start??, we don't even have any classes together so it's so hard 😭...I could have probably approached him if we done the same subjects
Reply 9
Original post by candydiva

lol, idk anything about premier league football
Any suggestions on how to start??, we don't even have any classes together so it's so hard 😭...I could have probably approached him if we done the same subjects

So obviously I believe the end of your school year must be after your GCSE examination right just before you get dismissed for study leave in June approach him leaving good time beforehand saying if he would be maybe willing to meet up at this place so and so… for a informal dinner or a milkshake for the both of you at this dessert parlour then when you leave during study leave over that meal or milkshake talk to him get to know him a-bit better don’t make your feelings too obvious but drop clear hints and signs and then after a good conversation express how you feel for him ensuring you remain in touch throughout which I therefore recommend taking his phone number or social media whether that’s before you leave for the summer break or over the summer holidays but in that conversation ensure and listen as to what he has to say as to how he feels for you, you both then deserve the time and decision and respect to decide whether that’s a couple of weeks a month, month and half to pursue a relationship or not if it’s a yes then I wish you the utmost best of luck and may you both be a success full of happiness and joy and peace.
It's so hard my biggest fear is being rejected, I just don't how I will feel if they reject me. I have so much experiences with being rejected in other aspects, but I just can't get to terms with it in relationships. That's why I should probably just tell him lol, to overcome that fear

"I like you, do you want to go out sometime?"

Just say that. He'll be so stunned by your bravery and bluntness, it will be a great way to break out of your fear of rejection.

It's a win-win situation. If he declines, you desensitise yourself to rejection. If he agrees, then you've just won a date with the guy you like.
Don’t over think it. Guys, for the most part are easy going and rarely will reject a girl.
Reply 13

I’m anti social too. So was my ex. So when I was in the library on my own and was about to leave, she walked straight up to me with a smile and asked if I wanted to walk to our next lesson together. I wasn’t feeling great and I didn’t even know what her name was but I still said yes. Then we walked, and talked, exchanged numbers, rang eachother and talked some more and next thing you know we went out for a couple years - it just didn’t work out due to me switching schools recently. It really can be that easy and the moment you click, things will just get 20x easier for both of you. But guess what? None of that will never happen if you don’t make the first move. I’m just telling you this so that you know that people have done it before which means that you can do it too. Besides, it’s not in our nature as antisocial people to run to others and tell them about the small things that happen to us. The worst that could happen if you walk up to him and talk to him is he’ll tell you that he’s busy, but even then he might be happy to tell you what he’s busy with and how long it’ll take him. Don’t be nervous to talk to him - e excited. That alone will make him want to talk to you and get to know you better

I'm in a very similar situation tbh! I've also had a crush for a couple of months and we've never spoken. Maybe he does .. like you if he stares at you but he's too shy to talk or something :colondollar: Anyway my best advice: try to sit near him at break times or try to accidentally bump into him.

Maybe you should just go up to them alone if you can, and be straight forward and ask them if they're single. If they laugh about you and tell everyone (they're being a jerk.) I know it sounds tough but that's probably the best way you can tell them you like them.

It's very hard to talk to crushes and you get scared about embarrassing yourself. Also just be like' Heyyy I like you' if they reject you then just definitely lose that crush you had.

Seconded!

If you wait till the last day if term you'll probably back out. I would say use the days you've got. How about using the old dropping something by 'accident' near him, a book or something as you walk past. Try to make it authentic looking in terms of not going out of your way for no reason past him and not making it look too obvious so it doesn't look too strange. Anyhow most guys don't mind that as it gives them an easy excuse to make contact, from there either you or him whoever first can move into small talk :smile:
Give him reason able time to pick the book up of course and hand it to you without it looking like you are waiting for him too I would add. If he doesn't after what is the usual few moments then of course pick it up yourself to avoid it looking weird. Could still make a comment where he might pick up and start talking so not always all lost if it doesn't go to plan he might just not be with it at that moment.
So obviously I believe the end of your school year must be after your GCSE examination right just before you get dismissed for study leave in June approach him leaving good time beforehand saying if he would be maybe willing to meet up at this place so and so… for a informal dinner or a milkshake for the both of you at this dessert parlour then when you leave during study leave over that meal or milkshake talk to him get to know him a-bit better don’t make your feelings too obvious but drop clear hints and signs and then after a good conversation express how you feel for him ensuring you remain in touch throughout which I therefore recommend taking his phone number or social media whether that’s before you leave for the summer break or over the summer holidays but in that conversation ensure and listen as to what he has to say as to how he feels for you, you both then deserve the time and decision and respect to decide whether that’s a couple of weeks a month, month and half to pursue a relationship or not if it’s a yes then I wish you the utmost best of luck and may you both be a success full of happiness and joy and peace.

That sounds good, thanks so much I'm gonna need it
Original post by tsparktae
I'm in a very similar situation tbh! I've also had a crush for a couple of months and we've never spoken. Maybe he does .. like you if he stares at you but he's too shy to talk or something :colondollar: Anyway my best advice: try to sit near him at break times or try to accidentally bump into him.

Maybe you should just go up to them alone if you can, and be straight forward and ask them if they're single. If they laugh about you and tell everyone (they're being a jerk.) I know it sounds tough but that's probably the best way you can tell them you like them.

It's very hard to talk to crushes and you get scared about embarrassing yourself. Also just be like' Heyyy I like you' if they reject you then just definitely lose that crush you had.

it's doing that, it's hard I'm so scared of coming across as weird and I understand that some ppl like their boundaries, but I should do it without thinking too deeply into it

Quick Reply

Latest