The Student Room Group

psychology work experience advice

So i want to go into psychology, and I would like to do some related work experience but at 16 i’m doubting the likelihood of me being able to work with an actual psychologist. any ideas ???
You don't need work experience to apply for a psychology degree - focus on academic stuff like extra reading and watching online lectures :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by ara1a!.x
So i want to go into psychology, and I would like to do some related work experience but at 16 i’m doubting the likelihood of me being able to work with an actual psychologist. any ideas ???

Hi,
You are right in your doubts - there wouldn't be any volunteer roles involving working directly with psychologists. Helping roles, too, require volunteers aged 18 or over in most (if not all) cases.

A better use of your time at this point would be to focus on your academic work and maybe look at some free psychology courses online or take out relevant books from the library to give you a better understanding of the topics you would be learning about at degree level.

Taking on any other form of volunteer work could also be good experience - for example, I volunteered at a youth club when I was 16-17, helping with activities and working in the tuck shop.
Reply 3
Original post by Nerol
Hi,
You are right in your doubts - there wouldn't be any volunteer roles involving working directly with psychologists. Helping roles, too, require volunteers aged 18 or over in most (if not all) cases.

A better use of your time at this point would be to focus on your academic work and maybe look at some free psychology courses online or take out relevant books from the library to give you a better understanding of the topics you would be learning about at degree level.

Taking on any other form of volunteer work could also be good experience - for example, I volunteered at a youth club when I was 16-17, helping with activities and working in the tuck shop.

Thanks for your reply and yh I’ve found a good podcast that gives a lot of information about psychology outside of what’s on the curriculum which is very interesting.
Reply 4
Original post by Interrobang
You don't need work experience to apply for a psychology degree - focus on academic stuff like extra reading and watching online lectures :smile:

Ok thanksss this is so helpful :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest