The Student Room Group

nvm

Seems to be going nowhere so nvm
(edited 2 years ago)
I never measure my revision by the amount of time I spend on it so unfortunately can’t answer your question in the way you’d like it to be answered. But, I made sure that I answered every question in the textbooks, including the practice mocks, every past paper I could find (going back to 1998!) and all the papers by topic/ bronze/silver/gold papers on physicsandmathstutor.com
I highly recommend that website for maths.
(edited 2 years ago)
I find this measurement silly because tbh obviously there will be some students who don’t even need that many hours but still do well on tests.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Gabgool
I wish there was data for this type of thing since It would be interesting. Obviously if some world wide stats were to be produced unfortunately most probably would have high variance.
But out of interest;

1.If you got an A* or A in A level maths, how many total hours did you spend on it? (or drop your schedule and I will work out the total hours)

2.If you got an A* or A in A level further math, how many total hours did you spend on it? (or drop your schedule and I will work out the total hours)

It's not how many hours you work that makes a diference. It's about using your time well - following up each lesson, practising questions, etc. Personally I found I did not need to revise much if I did this.
Reply 4
Original post by Muttley79
It's not how many hours you work that makes a diference. It's about using your time well - following up each lesson, practising questions, etc. Personally I found I did not need to revise much if I did this.

Interesting
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Gabgool

But out of interest;
(And DO NOT lecture me on your reasons why hours don't matter, I have asked a question, that's all I want to be answered, nothing else, thanks)

Dude. Put it this way… even if you assumed correctly that there is some sort of average or estimated average of hours that the “average” student needs (I noticed you included *average* now) - what exactly is the aims and objectives of getting this data?

The reason why you got answers that are constructed with methods is because, in this data you’re trying to receive, you’re implying that an average student would need this set of hours in order to get an A/A*. Which is just not true as there are many other different factors to consider, unless you can find a way to limit these factors and only take data that is aimed at students who have either the same or similar factors, then your data might be reliable in that case.

You can’t necessarily gauge anything from taking data from a website like TSR, since it can be so diverse.
Reply 6
Original post by CaptainDuckie
Dude. Put it this way… even if you assumed correctly that there is some sort of average or estimated average of hours that the “average” student needs (I noticed you included *average* now) - what exactly is the aims and objectives of getting this data?

The reason why you got answers that are constructed with methods is because, in this data you’re trying to receive, you’re implying that an average student would need this set of hours in order to get an A/A*. Which is just not true as there are many other different factors to consider, unless you can find a way to limit these factors and only take data that is aimed at students who have either the same or similar factors, then your data might be reliable in that case.

You can’t necessarily gauge anything from taking data from a website like TSR, since it can be so diverse.

How am I implying anything? I am simply asking how much work was done(whether that be hours or other measures of work) and the grade they got in that subject. I haven't said anywhere that then the average student needs a certain amount of hours of work.

I'm not sure why TSR users get so defensive. It's not as if I'm publishing a paper on why if you don't study 500 hours in total for your A levels then your doomed. I just wanted to know, the quantity of work users have done & the grade they got.
(edited 2 years ago)
Personally I think that’s a valid question in my perspective (year 12)
Idk why that question is getting shot down either
I asked yr 13s who got into med what their schedule was and how many hours they studied
It helped me realise how much hard work was needed for that subject and whther I needed to sacrifice any of my extracurriculars
Just have to keep it in perspective tho and respect that they might have different circumstances or revsion methods but it’s nice to get an idea in my opinion

Original post by Gabgool
How am I implying anything? I am simply asking how much work was done(whether that be hours or other measures of work) and the grade they got in that subject. I haven't said anywhere that then the average student needs a certain amount of hours of work.

I'm not sure why TSR users get so defensive. It's not as if I'm publishing a paper on why if you don't study 500 hours in total for your A levels then your doomed. I just wanted to know, the quantity of work users have done & the grade they got.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by starinthenight
Personally I think that’s a valid question in my perspective (year 12)
Idk why that question is getting shot down either
I asked yr 13s who got into med what their schedule was and how many hours they studied
It helped me realise how much hard work was needed for that subject and whther I needed to sacrifice any of my extracurriculars
Just have to keep it in perspective tho and respect that they might have different circumstances or revsion methods but it’s nice to get an idea in my opinion

I agree.

Quick Reply

Latest