The Student Room Group

SFE what counts as income?

I am looking to apply to university in the following year. My mum has claimed maintenance loans and grants from SFE over the last few years, when the form asks for my parent's income, do I include how much my mum has received from SFE in those years or do I not as it is not taxable income?
Hello,

I hope you are well. From looking on the SFE website and UCAS, it isn't very clear - I recommend that you call up SFE closer to the time of your application just to check.

However, your student finance amount will be based on your household income from the previous year of your application - so if your mother has finished her studies, it may not be included in the financial year needed for your application. E.g. you apply for the academic year 2022/23 then your finance information will be from 2021/2022.

https://www.gov.uk/contact-student-finance-england Here's the website to contact SFE if you have any more questions, they can give you proper advice!

All the best
Sara (Coventry University student rep)
Reply 2
Original post by Coventry University Student Ambassadors
Hello,

I hope you are well. From looking on the SFE website and UCAS, it isn't very clear - I recommend that you call up SFE closer to the time of your application just to check.

However, your student finance amount will be based on your household income from the previous year of your application - so if your mother has finished her studies, it may not be included in the financial year needed for your application. E.g. you apply for the academic year 2022/23 then your finance information will be from 2021/2022.

https://www.gov.uk/contact-student-finance-england Here's the website to contact SFE if you have any more questions, they can give you proper advice!

All the best

Thank you! I will definitely contact them closer to the time
Original post by Lokiops
I am looking to apply to university in the following year. My mum has claimed maintenance loans and grants from SFE over the last few years, when the form asks for my parent's income, do I include how much my mum has received from SFE in those years or do I not as it is not taxable income?

Original post by Coventry University Student Ambassadors
Hello,

All the best

Original post by Lokiops
Thank you! I will definitely contact them closer to the time

Hi, from your post it looks like your applying for next year, but the application isn't available yet.

When do you start university? Is your mum employed or self employed?
If your mum was a student, we don't need her to declare any SFE funding she received. We only need to know about earned taxable income/benefits.

Thanks, Isaac
Reply 4
Original post by SFE Isaac
Hi, from your post it looks like your applying for next year, but the application isn't available yet.

When do you start university? Is your mum employed or self employed?
If your mum was a student, we don't need her to declare any SFE funding she received. We only need to know about earned taxable income/benefits.

Thanks, Isaac

Thank you for replying, that makes everything really clear! I am applying for uni for 2022 entry, I am on a gap year so I did fill out a SFE form last year (which I cancelled) but I was just confused with the income part
Original post by Lokiops
Thank you for replying, that makes everything really clear! I am applying for uni for 2022 entry, I am on a gap year so I did fill out a SFE form last year (which I cancelled) but I was just confused with the income part

You're welcome. If you have any further queries please let me know, otherwise I hope you have a lovely weekend and good luck with your studies :smile:

Thanks, Isaac

Quick Reply

Latest