The Student Room Group

Unis told: Teach in person or give refunds

In an interview with the Telegraph following the lifting of Plan B restrictions, Universities minister Michelle Donelan warned that "Risk assessments can't be used as an excuse not to host face-to-face teaching." She continued, “I have had to really say to vice-chancellors, you need to ensure that you are delivering on what you promised to students because, as the Prime Minister outlined, we’ve got to learn to live with this virus now. We’ve got to get back to pre-pandemic life.”

Referring to the mechanism that has been introduced to allow students to apply for a refund on their fees through the Office of the Independent Adjudicator (OIA), she adds: We saw refunds in the tens of thousands during the pandemic.”

With regard to whether she thinks it is appropriate for students to apply for refunds, she responds “Absolutely...They are consumers, at the end of the day. They’re paying a substantial amount of money that’s an investment in their own lives. They deserve that appeal right".

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/education-and-careers/2022/01/21/students-should-apply-refunds-fees-end-day-consumers/

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by harrysbar
In an interview with the Telegraph following the lifting of Plan B restrictions, Universities minister Michelle Donelan warned that "Risk assessments can't be used as an excuse not to host face-to-face teaching." She continued, “I have had to really say to vice-chancellors, you need to ensure that you are delivering on what you promised to students because, as the Prime Minister outlined, we’ve got to learn to live with this virus now. We’ve got to get back to pre-pandemic life.”

Referring to the mechanism that has been introduced to allow students to apply for a refund on their fees through the Office of the Independent Adjudicator (OIA), she adds: We saw refunds in the tens of thousands during the pandemic.”

With regard to whether she thinks it is appropriate for students to apply for refunds, she responds “Absolutely...They are consumers, at the end of the day. They’re paying a substantial amount of money that’s an investment in their own lives. They deserve that appeal right".

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/education-and-careers/2022/01/21/students-should-apply-refunds-fees-end-day-consumers/

Thanks for this!
(edited 2 years ago)
It would literally cost me more to attend in person teaching this year lol...either by commute or by moving.

I see the government is sticking to their "just go out and die actually" approach though :/
Original post by artful_lounger
It would literally cost me more to attend in person teaching this year lol...either by commute or by moving.

I see the government is sticking to their "just go out and die actually" approach though :/

i know. they seem to give such little thought to those who are at-risk.
Reply 4
I can work at home still most of the time and am continuing to be careful as I am a carer and I have contact with vulnerable people.

Many people I know are starting to interact much more in the way they did before the pandemic. The vast majority of people I come in contact with are fully vaccinated though.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 5

What? How silly, at this point the virus is something we just need to live with and get on with life.
Reply 6
I can understand people not wanting to attend in person if they are vulnerable or live with someone who is but personally I think it’s a good thing that students can get more face to face teaching going forward.
All my friends with children still at Uni say they are suffering in some way as a result of their education being on line. It’s not what they signed up for and many are questioning why they are paying so much for it.
Reply 7
I can understand people not wanting to attend in person if they are vulnerable or live with someone who is but personally I think it’s a good thing that students can get more face to face teaching going forward.
All my friends with children still at Uni say they are suffering in some way as a result of their education being on line. It’s not what they signed up for and many are questioning why they are paying so much for it.

I agree.
Reply 8
It’s a massive insult to the entire country, one of the woman that quite literally came up with the covid restrictions who was on one of the sage boards even had a party, they really took us for fools. While they’ve disregarded the rules, mental health problems have skyrocketed, abuse has skyrocketed, suicides have skyrocketed and now they’re too embarrassed they’re trying to brush it under the carpet.
Reply 9

Thankfully some Unis learned from last time learning was done online and how badly it affected learning, Exeter have ruled out ever going back to online learning.
Reply 10

My understanding is that it is most likely the unvaccinated who are more at risk of this, as you put it - 'just go out and die actually'.
(edited 2 years ago)
Good.
I don’t want to exist communicating with people through screens. Time to live a little.

God bless Omnicron.
Weren’t universities already teaching in-person for most courses last year already?

On the other hand, with restrictions easing out almost completely - I am worried about studying with Covid. I am lucky that I never had it at all within these two years, so I’m genuinely unsure how I would react to it. Especially since I am finishing undergrad this year. Not gonna lie, pretty scared of long-Covid but in God’s will, I wouldn’t have that at all nor have it anywhere for it to affect my studies in the slightest.
Original post by wifd149
Weren’t universities already teaching in-person for most courses last year already?

On the other hand, with restrictions easing out almost completely - I am worried about studying with Covid. I am lucky that I never had it at all within these two years, so I’m genuinely unsure how I would react to it. Especially since I am finishing undergrad this year. Not gonna lie, pretty scared of long-Covid but in God’s will, I wouldn’t have that at all nor have it anywhere for it to affect my studies in the slightest.

Most people do not spend an excessive amount of time worrying about possibly developing mono if they where to contract the flu.
There are no diagnostic bio-markers for long-covid. The mind can be a powerful thing. I am not arguing that it’s always psychological either.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by wifd149

You may have had it but been asymptomatic. I understand that long Covid is a worry. I have experience of it in my wider family. I assume you are fully vaxxed. You can live your life but just be careful.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by wifd149

Most courses have been reverting to increasing amounts of f2f teaching, yes.

A bit premature to be calling for refunds when the gov has only just announced the push to return to work.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Cancelled Alice
Most people do not spend an excessive amount of time worrying about possibly developing mono if they where to contract the flu.
There are no diagnostic bio-markers for long-covid. The mind can be a powerful thing. I am not arguing that it’s always psychological either.

True, true, agree with you there. Other illnesses are just as deadly to be honest, before Covid came up, a cousin of a few years older went severely ill with just the flu somehow so there’s that. Just doesn’t help when my mum gets overly worried about Covid, supposing that the media exaggerates Covid far too much and this comes from someone who hardly ever believes conspiracy theories.
Original post by Cote1
You may have had it but been asymptomatic. I understand that long Covid is a worry. I have experience of it in my wider family. I assume you are fully vaxxed. You can live your life but just be careful.

It will be nice if I could have it asymptomatic :biggrin: and not to develop any symptoms at all. I am fully vaxxed, so you’re right about that. How was post-Covid symptoms for you? I’m drafting plans while in between essays, just in case since I will be moving out and living on my own for a considerable while.
Original post by Admit-One
Most courses have been reverting to increasing amounts of f2f teaching, yes.

A bit premature to be calling for refunds when the gov has only just announced the push to return to work.

Yeah, that’s true.

Teachers are expected to be in school teavhing face to face and they get closer than a lecturer in a lecture hall does.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending